• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

V3 resolution is better than V1 (1 Viewer)

RMWD

A few people on the DPReview forum have now got a V3 and are posting impressions and images taken with resolution scales and at iso's unto iso 3200.
It seems clear from these that the V3 has significantly better resolution at all isos unto and including 1600. Enough to either improve feather detail or allow closer cropping. Noise looks like D7100 noise and should be quite manageable.

Decided to order one on the basis of this.

Will order the 70-300 when is available.
A 10 mpx crop from the V3 should give an equivalent FOV of 1085mm with similar detail to the V1 at that crop.

Yeah! That's good to hear since since I pre-ordered on the first day. The word was they might start shipping here tomorrow.

I have upgraded my V1 to the V3 and so far really impressed, mostly due to handling and all the restrictions on the V1 have been lifted; image review, full control including exposure compensation is available when using over 10fps and more.

Usefully the manual focus screen is much nicer with the FT1 compared to the V1, I think due to the tilt screen and slightly better resoluton.

Don't yet have the EVF but on my scope and 300mm f4 lens the touch/tilt screen is really great, I wasn't expecting that. The 60p video is great as is the slow-motion option, these are now really useful.

General sharpness does seem much better than the V1, general handling just works great for me.

Quick test shots, peregrine is image using the 300mm plus 1.4TC to give 1,100mm focal length, sparrow is uncropped with bare 300mm ie 810mm focal length.

Kevin

Attachments

• DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC_0123.jpg
    DSC_0123.jpg
    738.4 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
I have upgraded my V1 to the V3 and so far really impressed, mostly due to handling and all the restrictions on the V1 have been lifted; image review, full control including exposure compensation is available when using over 10fps and more.

Usefully the manual focus screen is much nicer with the FT1 compared to the V1, I think due to the tilt screen and slightly better resoluton.

Don't yet have the EVF but on my scope and 300mm f4 lens the touch/tilt screen is really great, I wasn't expecting that. The 60p video is great as is the slow-motion option, these are now really useful.

General sharpness does seem much better than the V1, general handling just works great for me.

Quick test shots, peregrine is image using the 300mm plus 1.4TC to give 1,100mm focal length, sparrow is uncropped with bare 300mm ie 810mm focal length.

Kevin

That Peregrine looks sharp enough Kevin. I want a V3 now.
Neil.

V£ gird images coming through now

Look forward to your report.

I have a V3 now and am starting to post images on my V1 (V3) Flickr Set at the address with my signature below.
Also there is a V3 birds thread on DPreview here.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3673587

Only been using it for 2 weeks and still unsure where it works best. It certainly has 1 stop iso advantage over the V1 and significant extra detail. It loves fast good glass so excels with a 300f2.8 but is very good with a 300 f4. Quite good with the new 80-400vr. Looking forward to the new CX 70-300vr for the size and all focus point AF. Main reason I bought a V3 if I am honest, but will need good light.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back