• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A winter tale (1 Viewer)

Sannie

I was looking out on the garden on a very bitter day during March of this year, as a variety of birds were tucking into their meal. Then a blizzard began to blow, during which a female Sparrowhawk arrived like a stealth plane and as the birds took flight, in utter - fright, the Sparrowhawk hit one about 10 feet above the ground heading its way. This had a handbrake – effect, on the Sparrowhawk’s forward flight, and in the same movement it spun a complete circle and was off with its live catch. I sat utterly numb - eyed, yet I knew my mind had captured a very special moment. I see photos on this website, which have obviously being captured by utter patience, and the joy of succeeding must be awesome.
Sannie

A winter Tale.

I was looking out on the garden on a very bitter day during March of this year, as a variety of birds were tucking into their meal. Then a blizzard began to blow, during which a female Sparrowhawk arrived like a stealth plane and as the birds took flight, in utter - fright, the Sparrowhawk hit one about 10 feet above the ground heading its way. This had a handbrake – effect, on the Sparrowhawk’s forward flight, and in the same movement it spun a complete circle and was off with its live catch. I sat utterly numb - eyed, yet I knew my mind had captured a very special moment. I see photos on this website, which have obviously being captured by utter patience, and the joy of succeeding must be awesome.
Sannie
Yes I often think this How long it can take to get a good picture I can remember two occasions, thou one location was in norfolk on The Coast, the exact place I can,t picture in my mind it was ? by the sea I was in a bird hide in may on my own and to have captured a quick photo of the Event I was to see you would have needed to be quick, as a lot things Happen Fast anyway I always think of the words blink and you will miss it, anyway On this occasion I was looking out on to the water and just below the hide In The shallows was a greenshank nice views but almost Immediately a Redshank appeared and was quite alarmed at the greenshanks appearance The redshank flew to my surprise onto the greenshanks back, with wings Flapping and calling out alarm/distress calls as to suggest it had young Nearby and found the greenshank a threat it was all over in what seemed Seconds perhaps a big longer thou I would only say extra seconds on top, I Would Imagine not many birders have witnessed such views before and I Was on holiday at the time, The second Occasion I remember was Involveing A sparrowhawk, I think to have captured it on video rather than camera Would in the time the event took to take place would have been more Possible to do as when in flight things happen so fast, I was walking along The trent/derwent confluence where the two rivers meet along with a canal In Derbyshire, and I was still walking along the canal when suddenly to my Left handside a sparrowhawk was approaching me over the canal, (very) Luckily for the prey Item it was carrying the sparrowhawk felt I was to in Line with its approach over the canal and dropped its prey from its talons in To the canal but what followed was amazeing, the prey Item was unhurt and Unfazed enough thank goodness to swim back across the canal to over Hanging herbage this was a woodcock and would have been a spring visitor As this was in april, the sparrowhawk could be seen in the background and Soon flew out of sight, the woodcock shook itself down and eventually flew Further down the bank into cover I felt real chuffed about it all made my day My only ever spring/summer woodcock record and that would have been some 20 years ago now, but to have captured it on film would have been Remarkable due to the fact it was so unplanned and would not see it comeing Perhaps such events are very rarely if at all filmed, some things can,t be Planned for thats what makes the whole scenareo so exciteing, obviously There are better times of the day to see or capture things in a lot of cases But still luck plays a big part in things you witness habitat or no Habitat, But I would rather have the Habitat any day.

Your post was absorbing to read.

When the unexpected does happen, it keeps one on their toes doesn't it.!

This particular Sparrowhawk has almost eaten all the pigeons I feed.

Sannie

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back