• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (3 Viewers)

Thinking of going Bempton some point over next week. I am travelling from Lancashire and want to stop off at another reserve before arriving at Bempton at lunch. What can people recommend - not including the St Aidans, Fairburn, North Cave, Blacktoft ....

Rodley Nature Reserve is open Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday and is worth a visit. If you’re travelling this Saturday (23rd) we’ll be holding the Leeds Birdfair at the Reserve.
https://www.startbirding.co.uk/leeds-birdfair/

I absolutely love feeding the birds in my garden, and have several feeders filled with a variety of seeds as well as coconut halves filled with suet, fat balls and peanuts in a cage feeder. However, by far the most visited 'station' in the last week or so has been the water bowl - virtually all species that visit my garden have been drinking the water in this hot weather, and I refill both water bowls at least twice a day. It is really important that we give them water as well as food, particularly at times like this.

Hen Harrier Day Sheffield 2018 – Saturday 4th August

Following the discussion about Hen Harrier Day 2018 at the last SIBG meeting, Linda Jenkinson has kindly offered to drive a group down to Sheffield in her minibus. There are 6x places available and the cost of the return journey will be no more than £5 per person, for a full bus.

Details of the event are here https://www.facebook.com/events/251581885424719/?ti=ia and here http://henharrierday.org. The pickup times will be announced soon and places in the minibus will be allocated on a first come first served basis.

It goes without saying that all are welcome at this event however they get there and it would be good to see SIBG well represented.

If you would like to take up this offer please contact Rob Hunton, Membership Secretary at [email protected]

This is open to none members of SIBG as well.

*ONLY 2 SPACES REMAIN*

Bempton

Has anyone visited Bempton cliffs near flamborough/bridlington, quite a well known spot so I am sure some will have..?

Sure most posters here will have visited Bempton - you're right it is a very well known spot. Most visitors go to see puffins and gannets both spectacular birds in their own ways. However right now Bempton is a great spot for migration. Rather than heading to the cliffs straight away look around the whole top area near the feeders top car park etc. yesterday (11/10) there were Yellow-Browed Warblers, Ring Ouzels. large numbers of Song Thrush to name but a few. Flamborough head is then just a short car drive away and not to be missed.

Went to Bempton last week,plenty of Gannets,including unfledged juveniles,Peregrine and my first Brambling of the year on the feeders.Found a Yellow Brow inland later in the week(no i won't say where),but Bempton is no good if you haven't got a head for heights.
Tip-if you park at any of Scarborough's long term car parks,including Filey,the ticket is valid for all of them.

Sure most posters here will have visited Bempton - you're right it is a very well known spot. Most visitors go to see puffins and gannets both spectacular birds in their own ways. However right now Bempton is a great spot for migration. Rather than heading to the cliffs straight away look around the whole top area near the feeders top car park etc. yesterday (11/10) there were Yellow-Browed Warblers, Ring Ouzels. large numbers of Song Thrush to name but a few. Flamborough head is then just a short car drive away and not to be missed.

Thanks for the advice I will check out Flamborough, I have only been there to play golf but will have to pay it a visit now.

Went to Bempton last week,plenty of Gannets,including unfledged juveniles,Peregrine and my first Brambling of the year on the feeders.Found a Yellow Brow inland later in the week(no i won't say where),but Bempton is no good if you haven't got a head for heights.
Tip-if you park at any of Scarborough's long term car parks,including Filey,the ticket is valid for all of them.

Sounds good, thank you for the parking heads up!

On Saturday, as i was driving up from Leeds centre towards Roundhay, i noticed a Red Kite circling around in tight circles not all that high up, maybe 100 - 150 feet. Wow cool, i thought, presumably from the reintroduction scheme (at Harewood i think?). It was just beyond the Tesco Sheepscar Esso Express petrol station and looked like it was checking summat out. Then ont way back into the centre next day, it was swooping down low just after i'd passed the same spot, being hassled by a crow. This is my most urban Red Kite, though i have seen them flying over Llandovery, which is not particularly big. Have people seen them regularly over inner areas of Leeds?

Hi jogresh,
There are several kites that hang around the area of the A64/Ring Road roundabout. My personal highest count has been 6 birds in the air at once. There is someone in that area who feeds them as they gave been on local news.

Thanks for the reply Keith. Would be great to have kites coming to your garden. I've had a look at where that roundabout is online.
The one i had on the 2 days, i'd describe as inner city. It's where there are Afro-Caribbean businesses and a lot of terraced houses, not where i'd expect to see a red kite scavenging at all. Though of course, in olden days they scavenged the streets of London apparently.

They're almost like pigeons these days ;) I've had 6 chasing and calling over the house before but I never tire of seeing them even though it's nearly every day.

I know where you mean and it is prime territory for them as there are loads of fast food outlets so they get plenty to scavage from the discarded or dropped food. They have been seen in the city centre scavaging in the last few years.

Thanks for the reply Keith. Would be great to have kites coming to your garden. I've had a look at where that roundabout is online.
The one i had on the 2 days, i'd describe as inner city. It's where there are Afro-Caribbean businesses and a lot of terraced houses, not where i'd expect to see a red kite scavenging at all. Though of course, in olden days they scavenged the streets of London apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back