• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A total newbie on a budget... help! (1 Viewer)

Adamthesnailman

Hi everyone!

Firstly, I'll say I am 100% new to DSLR photogtraphy but have been yearning to give it a bash for a while now, I'm on a budget and really need advice on the best start out DLSR for under £500.

I really am baffled but would be looking for something capable of some forrm of bird photography but also the ability to take close up shots - I keep Giant snails and would love to finally get some great pics.

Now, I've seen the D40 NIKON D40 18-55mm KIT + NIK 55-200mm http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1337221443.1179332578@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdiaddkmfemljdcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&sku=285888&fm=9&sm=0&tm=1&tabIndex=4 adv at curries and would like advice.. or if anyone can suggest the perfect camera for my needs I would be very grateful.

Adam

There are a lot of people out there who won't agree with me BUT!
I am fairly new to digital and bought the Olympus 550 which has 500mm built in (less than £300) plus 1.7 converter. This gives me approximately an 800mm lense. It's got 3 macro modes (good for your snails) I am really enjoying it. I have learned a lot and am now ready for the DSLR-I now know what I want and which cameras will suit. I will not get rid of the Oly as it's so versatile-I would recommend looking at this option.

Hi everyone!

Firstly, I'll say I am 100% new to DSLR photogtraphy but have been yearning to give it a bash for a while now, I'm on a budget and really need advice on the best start out DLSR for under £500.

I really am baffled but would be looking for something capable of some forrm of bird photography but also the ability to take close up shots - I keep Giant snails and would love to finally get some great pics.

Now, I've seen the D40 NIKON D40 18-55mm KIT + NIK 55-200mm http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1337221443.1179332578@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdiaddkmfemljdcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&sku=285888&fm=9&sm=0&tm=1&tabIndex=4 adv at curries and would like advice.. or if anyone can suggest the perfect camera for my needs I would be very grateful.
Adam

If you go on eBay there are UK sellers selling the newer D40X with two lenses for £490.00 see http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-NIKON-D40...0QQihZ019QQcategoryZ31388QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you look carefully you could get a D80 for under £500 and then its the lens you'll need.

Otherwise go to a camera shop play with them all, see how they feel and then look at what price you can get one for. All the top brands will serve you adequately

Steve

Adam,

You got good advice from Steve and David, have a look at the compacts if you just want to photograph your snails, you'll get closer than with the DSLR. Canon and Sony are going to bring out new compacts, have a good look at them.

Personally if you're looking at a 6mp D40 I'd go for the previous model the D50. I'd do this for the simple reason you can access loads of old AF nikon lenses - easiest way to get a long lens for birding - and possibly a bargain macro lens too. With the D40 you only get full AF function with the latest lenses. I think www.parkcameras.co.uk still have D50s - refurbished at around £280 - that's a bargain. I used one for most of last year and can recommend it.
I'm now using olympus and they do have the perfect camera if you're into close ups and macro - the E-330 has a flip out live view lcd - one of the modes is specifically for close ups - the mirror locks up to avoid vibration and you can zoom in using the lcd to ensure you've got the bit you want in sharp focus [manual focus in that mode]. Not the prettiest of cameras but very nice to use - www.digitaldepot.co.uk are selling them off [pre new models arriving] for £299 with a pretty good short zoom. Having used both Nikon and Olympus [and Canon!] there's not much between them but some are better for certain applications than others.

I agree about the D50, and that was my rationale for getting it---the availability of non-AF-S lenses. I also considered the Pentax, but am more familiar with Nikon, which seems to have more lens options etc. D80 bodies are getting cheaper, but then you'll need to get a decent telephoto lens.

Have to agree about the K100D looking good - dpreview really rate it's image quality - not a big range of new lenses at present but plenty on ebay!

Adam

Another option - Tecno (www.tecno.co.uk) have refurbished Nikon D50's available at £230 body only + £60 extra for the kit lens. Although not this years model the D50 has received excellent reviews in particular for low light and autofocus performance. If coupled up to a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro DG (approx £160 everywhere) its a pretty decent beginners kit for sub £400!

Cheers B :)

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back