• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eggs thief admits stealing again (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

...well, the same one caught again, which is a bit more depressing.

His 4 month prison term last time didn't seem to do much good.

Maybe they should lock him up with a randy 18 stone cellmate this time around.

Thank you for the news as it has been seen

I am amazed that this man has been in Court 3 times now, and found on several occasions to be egg stealing, and he is still got the freedom to carry on this illegal activity.

Does he not undertstand the law is the law. It is although he has an obession, and refuses to move on, and let the habit go. He has lost the plot somewhere.

Send him down to the Job Centre, so he can occupy himself in other ways, as in 'get yourself a proper job', and contribute to society instead of taking from it. (not as a Ranger or Gamekeeper though) :C

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
abagguley;1063621Maybe they should lock him up with a randy 18 stone cellmate this time around.[/QUOTE said:
Yes, that sounds a good idea too. So he straightens his ideas out - prompto!!

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Send him down to the Job Centre, so he can occupy himself in other ways, as in 'get yourself a proper job',

Could we stop jumping to assumptions, though he is an egg collector, why should this be taken to mean he has no job. He is actually a Coventry-based roofer.

In reality, most egg collectors are, in other respects, quite 'normal' persons. In fact, you probably need a reasonable job to be able to afford to collect eggs on such a scale.

Last edited:
Thank you for the news as it has been seen

I am amazed that this man has been in Court 3 times now, and found on several occasions to be egg stealing, and he is still got the freedom to carry on this illegal activity.

Does he not undertstand the law is the law. It is although he has an obession, and refuses to move on, and let the habit go. He has lost the plot somewhere.

Send him down to the Job Centre, so he can occupy himself in other ways, as in 'get yourself a proper job', and contribute to society instead of taking from it. (not as a Ranger or Gamekeeper though) :C

No, send him down to the recruiting centre, a bit of discipline and a few tours in Basra or Helmand might make something decent of him.

John

Could we stop jumping to assumptions, though he is an egg collector, why should this be taken to mean he has no job. He is actually a Coventry-based roofer.

In reality, most egg collectors are, in other respects, quite 'normal' persons. In fact, you probably need a reasonable job to be able to afford to collect eggs on such a scale.

hi Jos

It is back to those assumptions - snack me here. ;)

I thought that egg collecting would take up a lot of time, patience, and moving around. Yes, I do understand what you mean about having money to begin, with be able to move around the country.
As egg collecting goes, is it not seen as a financially viable thing to do? What does a person want to do with 'eggs' at the end of the day?

This is from a person (like myself) who does not understand why people do egg collecting as they do?.

Sorry John we posted the same time here

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:

Regards
Kathy

Sorry Kathy, that's rather a sweeping statement you're making there. Rangers and gamekeepers aren't proper jobs?

Sorry, but both are perfectly legitimate jobs, and in many regards provide greater positive environmental outcomes for society than most of our daily grinds.

Granted you get the odd bad apple, but you get that in any profession. For example, a bent copper who takes bribes, mislays evidence, overlooks the guilty... it doesn't happen often, but occasionally it does. Does that mean that all the police should be tarred as not doing a proper job? Obviously not.

ce

Sorry Kathy, that's rather a sweeping statement you're making there. Rangers and gamekeepers aren't proper jobs?

Sorry, but both are perfectly legitimate jobs, and in many regards provide greater positive environmental outcomes for society than most of our daily grinds.

Granted you get the odd bad apple, but you get that in any profession. For example, a bent copper who takes bribes, mislays evidence, overlooks the guilty... it doesn't happen often, but occasionally it does. Does that mean that all the police should be tarred as not doing a proper job? Obviously not.

ce

I think she meant those two jobs would be like offering a chocolate thief a job in a chocolate factory.

POP

ce

I know it is back to those sweeping statements. I will try to keep modifying what I say. Yes, You do get the odd bad apples, and they spoil it for others too in all professions.

I have a friend who is a Countryside Ranger, and she has opened my eyes to the type of work that she does and it is very attached, and has a positive effect to the environment. Dedication in her middle name

What I want to know is why does he want to do what this man doing repeating the same mistakes (like my sweeping statements 'maybe' on this occasion)

It just puzzles me, when he knows he is doing the wrong thing, so what is it that is making him tick.

POP sorry over-ran your post 'yes' that is what I meant. Good description with the chocolate factory theme.

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
What I want to know is why does he want to do what this man doing repeating the same mistakes (like my sweeping statements 'maybe' on this occasion)

It just puzzles me, when he knows he is doing the wrong thing, so what is it that is making him tick.

Regards
Kathy

Fact is Kathy he doesn't know what he's doing is the wrong thing - or rather, he can't see what's wrong with it. He'll pay lip-service and say he's seen the light, or is trying to modify his behaviour (the egg-photography quote), but at the end of the day he's a proven repeat offender - patently no punishment is going to make someone this obsessed and dedicated stop what they're doing. It's the same as any socially-unacceptable obsessional behaviour - incarceration or fines will have an effect on the borderline cases, but the real obsessives will always have the urge, and struggle to suppress it.

ce

Maybe its that this bloke just dont care about the law and he is going to do whatever he wants come hell or high water because there are plenty of selfish nasty pepole out there. He is just another one. I dont know what the maximum penaltys for egg stealing are but i would sugest as he has shown such contempt for the law that he be given the maximium fine and jail time and once thats over if he transgresses again then he gets the same again. No messing.

hi Jos

As egg collecting goes, is it not seen as a financially viable thing to do? What does a person want to do with 'eggs' at the end of the day?

This is from a person (like myself) who does not understand why people do egg collecting as they do?.

There 's not a lot they can do with their collections other than show other eggers, money isnt what drives these people its having clutches of rare eggs to drool over that drives them on. Most of these people are probably excellent fieldsmen and know more about whats where, than the authorities, but where as others involved with birds restrict their involvement at nest sites to legitimate study ,these knobs take the eggs , the whole clutch too.
They even target watched nest sites just for the added buzz of nicking eggs from under peoples noses, sad!

I thought that egg collecting would take up a lot of time, patience, and moving around. Yes, I do understand what you mean about having money to begin, with be able to move around the country.

Not a million miles from what the average twitcher does really. I bet the majority of twitchers have very good jobs. (not a dig at twitchers btw just a comparison)

Not a million miles from what the average twitcher does really. I bet the majority of twitchers have very good jobs. (not a dig at twitchers btw just a comparison)

A fair point, well made. We spoke about this at work recently (they know I'm a birder) not a solitary person cared about egging, eggers etc. and what they did - probably thought they were just another one of them twitchers.

As birders we may be horrified. I collected eggs as a kid - I hear a lot of other birders too (Mr Oddie did). As a schoolboy there was something special about them, but boys (especially) like to collect "stuff" anyway.

Back to the topic, not one of the people thought stealing eggs was worth a fine let alone a custodial sentence. Not with all the crime in the world today. I guess we see it differently.

I've not bothered to open the link so I don't know who he is but seems like some of those posting above will do...so I suggest a small bit of vigilantism is what we need here...just the one broken knee cap is all that's required...saves on court fees...if he works its his NIS contributions that'll sort the doctors fees out...job done...ever since they banned the birch its been downhill to hell in a handcart...

ASBO rules for ASBO people?:eek!:

From the bar...
McMadd

Hi There,

As jail hasn't worked and is costing us tax payers money maybe they should put him on an uninhabited barren bleak island in the far north of Scotland for the winter at least. He may then appreciate what a tough life birds have.

Ann :flyaway:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back