• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica At Last (1 Viewer)

I would love to see something like that......sounds out of this world! That and everything else it sounds like you were spoiled for choice.

I don't know which programme you use for resizing. I use Faststone; really easy to do a quick resize to 600x800, works every time. BTW, I'm almost a computer dunce.

Joanne

Joanne

Joanne,

Thankyou so much - through the free Faststone download I did the very quick tutorial & used Office Picture Manager to re-size the attached photos & Hey Presto! they were uploaded in a flash. Other pics. to follow with next pages.B :)

Part Seven: Punta Leona

Dawn at Punta Leona, day one.

Photos:
Beach (crowded as usual!)
Sunset over the Lion
Scrounger
Another view of the crowds (I'm surfin' , dude)
Shy dinner guest (too close for photo - its a Raccoon.)

Well, dawn saw me up as usual & with miles of private forest to myself. Oh dear, never mind!
Blue-crowned motmots were calling before first light, but remained shy; strange after my first encounter. As the sun got up Scarlet macaws flew over - very noisily - there was at least one resident pair. We were to see these larger-than-life birds regularly at Punta Leona.
Slaty antwrens & Chestnut-backed antwrens showed next; then I found an Orange-collared manakin lek & watched them buzzing, clicking & generally showing off to the females above them as they displayed near the ground.
Through the forest I found a savannah-like clearing that looked promising - and was. I returned here on several occasions & found a few goodies. This first go produced Yellow-throated euphonias, Orange-chinned parakeets, Black-hooded antshrikes amongst others.
Several isolated trees at the forest edge were a feature here & on the bare branch of one I spotted a Lesser nighthawk sitting along it.
Masked tityras flew in & a Rufous becard joined Hoffman's woodpeckers which are abundant at Punta Leona.
But it was time for breakfast & then - surf's up dude - time to hit the Pacific swell & chill out on the white sand beach.

This didn't mean no birding you understand. As I boogie-boarded Brown pelicans air-surfed the waves too; above the Magnificent frigatebirds sailed higher currents. Red-lored parrots & Hoffman's woodpeckers were both nesting in beach trees, but that wasn't all.
A Brown-crested flycatcher, Philadelphia vireos, Red-legged honeycreepers, and a superb Mangrove cuckoo all came to the adjacent trees. And a Northern waterthrush bobbed along the road. Black & Turkey vultures, as usual our constant companions, & Spotted sandpipers, Willet, Hudsonian whimbrel & Turnstones along the shoreline.

Next day saw me at my savannah again: first bird a Fasciated tiger heron: out of character in the grass below the tree to which it retreated as I approached, where it stood protesting my presence & giving great views.
Next a Yellow-headed caracara flew in & landed; a Lineated woodpecker pecked away unabashed nearby; and Cherrie's tanagers put in an appearance at last.
Then a strange song put me onto a Barred woodcreeper at its nest! To top off the area Golden-hooded tanagers paid a visit. As I made my way back to our rooms (surrounded by forest) a pair of Rose-throated becards showed well & a party of Riverside wrens flitted in a tangle of vines. (Yet another superb wren).

Breakfast with the Capuchin monkeys & Mrs.H - sitting among the trees - one eye on my watch because it was time for my first trip to Carara. I could hardly wait.
But you must.

Attachments

• Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 116.jpg
    Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 116.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 144.jpg
    Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 144.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 63
  • Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 121.jpg
    Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 121.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 118.jpg
    Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 118.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 147.jpg
    Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 147.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Hi Halftwo,

Just had a chance to start reading your thread and I'm looking forward to reading more when I've got more time (you know it's hard to find computer time while travelling). Clay-colored Robin was my first lifer in Costa Rica too ! In a tiny park in San Jose.

Wow that brings it all back...especially the Scarlet Macaws. Those giant red parrots beat any phyllosc in my book.

Last edited:
Joanne,

Thankyou so much - through the free Faststone download I did the very quick tutorial & used Office Picture Manager to re-size the attached photos & Hey Presto! they were uploaded in a flash. Other pics. to follow with next pages.B :)

So glad you found it useful......(I think it's made for those like me who are computer challenged;))

Sounds like you are having a great birding holiday:t: with many lifers or have you been there before?

Thanks, folks. Glad you're enjoying it.
Will post more tonight.
Can't believe you're taking time out from your mega-trip, Larry, by reading my stuff from the other side of the world!
Joanne,
Have been to Mexico before which meant I'd got several birds there which would otherwise have been ticks in CR, but, Yes LOTS: approx. 254 (not reached an exact total even now - but let's say at least 250.)
I got several new families - which I'm going to talk about in a separate sort of way - which is nice when I fill in the big gaps in my world ckecklist.
Thanks for the stars too - whoever.
See you later,
H

Part Eight: Carara

Well I must admit to speeding on my way to Carara - I didn't get caught - this time!
Bowled up to pay my $10 at the wardens' station & practically ran to the start. I was at the famous Carara. And I was just about to find out why.
You round the path that skirts the edge, near enough to the road to hear the traffic, take a left & suddenly, like walking through a door, you are in the forest. The first time was not as dramatic as the second - I'll come to that later.
But still, within a couple of minutes a Black-faced antthrush was pushing aside leaves not far away, quite unperturbed. What a strange bird - with its upturned tail. Other goodies were quick in appearing, keeping me busy with notes & fieldguide - after all my homework, as before, I'd see a bird & recognise it - but couldn't remember the darn thing's name!
Dotted-winged antwrens - male & female were close, a Slaty antwren just there, a Chestnut-backed antbird coming along. I reached a stream - a natural clearing & overhead flew Vaux's swifts.
An Amazon kingfisher flew off & one of those "Jesus" lizards ran across the water away from me. Until you see it you can't quite believe it. Then a briefest of flypasts - a Red-headed barbet male - very distinctive but oh, so brief. Thankfully the "to tick, or not to tick debate" was quenched at a later date when I had great views of a female. More of that later.
Suddenly three Great tinamous were crossing the path in front of me! Then one of the fieldguide front-cover birds: Bay-headed tanager showed nicely on a vine that crossed the stream: a stunner. Two more flycatcher ticks were added to the list next.
On a suspension footbridge over a stream I caught up with other birders. A strange sight of four White ibis & a single Muscovy drake paddling about was immediately had. Hummingbirds zapped past without pausing as usual (you get used to it & learn not to try to spot them eventually: but it takes time!)
Then a sight I would undoubtably have missed if it weren't for the eagle eye of the others' guide: a perched White hawk. White birds in a green forest seems weird. On the stream edge a Louisiana waterthrush. It was pleasant just to stand on that bridge, but the birds don't come to you, so I plunged back into the jungle.
A Plain xenops was very nice, but close-ups of four incredible Violaceous trogons quickly followed by two territory-disputing male Baird's trogons had me grinning, despite the crick in my neck from constantly looking directly upward.
Orange-crowned manakins were displaying, and amongst the female onlookers was a Red-capped manakin - the only one of her species I saw, strangely.
A very strange-looking bird I recognised immediately was hunting insects around the vines on a trunk - a long tail & an even longer bill - the comical Long-billed gnatwren.
Now when Peccaries are about you smell them long before you see them - sometimes you just smell them - and this was one of those times: these wild pigs stink! But looking for them put me onto something better: Agouti. This deer-like rodent passed no further than five metres from me. Maybe just trying to avoid the stench of the Peccaries!
A Ruddy-tailed flycatcher was, I thought, going to be the last tick of that morning at Carara, but as I reached my car the one flowering bush beside the visitors' centre had a single hummer feeding off the blooms: it was Steely-vented hummingbird - (one I misidentified as Blue-tailed - a similar vagrant) - until "editing/updating" the id.

Back at Punta Leona the birds & birders kept coming. New arrivals to spot & new arrivals to compare notes with. A call as it grew dark was identified as one of the pygmy owls by two birders - & I was the first to spot it. It was the only non-tick possible: Ferruginous.

As we had dinner at the open-sided restaurant Raccoons wandered amongst the tables.

Dawn again & no let-up: the Tiger-heron & Lesser nighthawk still there; & a Rose-throated becard was showing well, but bird of the early morning was White-whiskered puffbird - close-up views.

After breakfast it was Carara: part two.

I decided to try the other track first - the one that goes along the river Tarcoles, pretty much. Straight away I had a flycatcher that wasn't in the book (not for the first time) but this one I later identified with the help of a famous birder, but that's for another day.
Green hermit showed obligingly before I reached the river viewpoint, with the Boat-billed herons roost. Black-necked stilts & Northern jacanas & a single Roseate spoonbill waded in Cayman-infested water. An American purple gallinule there was the only one of the trip.
A Green kingfisher added to the kingfisher trip list - but no tick; however - there was a something very interesting atop a tree on the opposite bank: Scissor-tailed flycatcher - which took off on a rapid sally to show off its tail, & returned.
Squirrel cuckoos ran through the trees like, well, squirrels. Lovely birds.
Next up a pair of Dusky antbirds - which I was admiring when a spectacular hummer - a Purple-crowned fairy - nearly blew my mind - what a bird - and down to less than ten feet!
But it wasn't to end there - not by a long chalk. Black-headed trogons paid a close visit then a Wedge-billed woodcreeper flew in. Loads of other stuff was arriving & leaving as a big troup of Peccaries trotted by. What a pong!

OK last go at Carara: back to the other trail, but first I tipped Carlos, the volunteer car-minder, & shook his hand - possibly the biggest hand I've ever shaken! It was like saying "Howdy" to a saloon door!

As I mentioned - you take a left & enter the forest. As I did so this time I was aware that the first ten metre-square patch held so many birds that I was rooted to the spot for twenty-five minutes!
Antbirds & Antshrikes, Rufous-breasted wrens, a Buff-throated woodcreeper less than a foot from the floor, Blue-black grosbeaks, a Plain xenops, a Sulphur-rumped flycatcher, a Philadelphia vireo, and more too quick to catch a good glimpse of. I was blown away.

Well-pleased I moved on & put up a "Mangrove" black hawk from the stream-side. A Tawny-winged woodcreeper & an Olive-striped flycatcher both needed careful attention to id. Then Yellow tyrranulet & Greenish elaenia (even more difficult) & a Southern beardless tyrranulet.
As I emerged into daylight two Macaws flew over a valediction.

That's why Carara is famous.

Photo:
Halftwo enjoys a well-earned drink.
(anyone know how to rotate it?!)

Attachments

• Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 145.jpg
    Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 145.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Richard%27s%205oth%20Birthday%20Tour%20of%20Costa%20Rica%20-%202008%20145.jpg

Ta da!! Looked better the other way up hahaha;)

Great reading about your trip - I was there in December covering pretty much the same sites, and it's very interesting to see the differences in species we both saw (or didn't!). I couldn't even attempt the track along the river at Carara - the mud was thigh high..! But Carara was fantastic and I liked the fact that, as in most other places in CR, you could get there as early as you pleased and pay on the way out so you don't end up losing valuable birding time.
One point - when you mentioned the Xmas bird list for La Selva, was it done on Xmas day last year? I ask coz we stayed in there for 4 days and it rained nearly non-stop the whole time bar about 6hrs - in fact the river rose nearly 4m on Xmas Day which meant we had to wade back across flooded tracks - even the bridge along the cycle track was underwater! I think I saw about 50 species that day and most of the groups that went in weren't seeing much either!
Ads

Thanks, Ads,
Re La Selva, it was still more-or-less dark as I helped myself to coffee & had a read of the wall stuff. I presumed it was Xmas 2007 - but could have been there from a previous year - in which case you could have seen it & have been well gripped! (I think their total was 365 ish. - unfeasibly large anywhoo)

As you say you can go to the same place two or three times & each time come back with a different set of species. Apparently this also applies each year too - one guy I spoke to who has been doing Costa Rica for twelve years tells me each one is different. He even had nesting Bat falcon at Punta Leona not so long ago. You could tell as each day passed that new stuff was coming in - or passing through - which was one reason I chose March - apart from being there for my birthday (more later).

The track at Carara was only slightly muddy - & no lorries passed, thankfully. I got chucked out of the forest as I wasn't with a guide (I was allowed along the track , but those paying extra got to wander off-track - I just followed a group in case they were keeping something up their sleeve - but that was a no no apparently.)

ATB
H

Part Nine: Tarcoles River

Thanks on the tree id. Nick - we were wondering as they are so beautiful.

A quick foray to the River Tarcoles at dusk - just for something different.

Found a spot where the boats moor for the "Crocodile Tours" & applied mozzie spray against the biters.
The wide river curved downstream towards the mangroves at the coast, a small patch of woodland opposite. Tall riverine vegetation flanked the far bank. To my left pasture, to the right, not too distant, Carara's forest. Beyond: the foothills of the Valle Central rose from the plain.

Mangrove & Barn swallows were hawking along the river - (see my post on Taxonomy thread re. Barn swallows there, if you wish).
White ibises & Cattle egrets flew downstream to roost amongst the Mangroves; then an Osprey started a display - something I've never before witnessed - he was flying with legs dangling, not quite hovering, & calling loudly.
This activity seemed to spark other raptors to appear: a "Mangrove" black hawk flew around, calling; a Crested caracara came across the river, then two Yellow-headed caracaras flew up-river.
Two male Amazon kingfishers were not far away on twigs on the bank; Inca & White-winged doves flew through, as did an unidentified woodpecker - frustratingly three times!
Scarlet macaws began to fly in to roost - silently for a change, but the bird of the evening was just about to put in an appearance.
Suddenly a Laughing falcon came up-stream & across towards Carara - the only one I had ever seen - or was to see. Cracker!
As the light began to fade Lesser nighthawks began float-hunting high up in the sky, but one chose to give great views low across the river for a few minutes.
A flock of Groove-billed anis came in to roost amongst tall vegetation before dark, as the bats began to hunt.

The next dawn four Crested guans woke us by disputing territory right over our room! Any excuse for another early morning foray.

A different route - up hill today. Black-headed trogons started the day - an excellent beginning. Next two Ruddy woodcreepers came in as a bit of a bird-wave began. A pair of Melodious blackbirds flew through - perching briefly on a tree top. Summer tanagers - in variously pink plumages next, with Rose-throated becards & a Plain xenops. Another Whiskered puffbird showed well as it caught something on the track in front of me. An American redstart flitted & swivelled about - flashing pale patches as they do.
Overhead a large shape flew into a nearby tree - it was a Grey-headed chachalaca! Again this was the sole representative of the species I was to see.
As I watched a probable Cooper's hawk was migrating north high up, while a Broad-winged hawk flew away - disturbed by my approach.
Smaller fare was flitting around: Tennessee warbler & Yellow-throated vireo were together with Rufous-breasted wrens & a Nutting's flycatcher - yet another flycatcher id. which took some time, and then, a bird I took for Red-eyed vireo, before further research & analysis identified it as Yellow-green vireo, came in.
A Mangrove cuckoo sat stock still along a sloping branch, watching for prey to move, enabling superb views of a lovely bird. Tanagers & Orioles were passing through & a Worm-eating warbler put in a brief appearance - things were hotting up - in more ways than one! The sun came up & I stopped to admire.
Imagine a forested hill wrapped around a steep-sided valley, the sun just above the near horizon. And left of that the Pacific blue stretching to the distant Nicoya Peninsula. Surf forms a bright line on the sea, just off a white-sand beach, beneath a blue sky - in which wheeled Magnificent frigatebirds, Brown pelicans & vultures. Soak it in.

I soaked it in, but the birds kept coming & I couldn't ignore them.
Streaked flycatchers (an easy id.) were seeing off Blue-grey & Grey-headed tanagers and Violaceous trogons came in to steal my heart again.
Suddenly, silently, a troupe of a dozen Coatis ran across the track just in front - like one wave of animal - disappearing as quickly as they had appeared. Squirrel cuckoos followed above them in the tree tops.

Later that day, in this same place, I watched a Chestnut-billed toucan eat a lizard & follow a squirrel as it foraged in a tree. I got the impression it was stealing food from the squirrel! And at last Fiery-billed aracaris put in an appearance.
But a strange sight had me puzzled - another bird not in the book! ("It's not in the book!" I complained, not for the first time, to Mrs.H.) But this one I had expert help on the next day - & finally had my mind put at rest.

For those of you who know Euphonias however - here's the puzzle:

Half the crown was yellow. The nape, mantle & tail were green. The throat was dark - couldn't make out the colour. It was singing!
As I say, IT'S NOT IN THE BOOK!
Answer tomorrow.

But it was time to breakfast & to laze around the pool - it can't all be fun.
During the lazy day - as thunderclouds gathered briefly, a Grey hawk soared around conveniently close, a Purple martin - uncommon on this coast - came through, and Orange-chinned parakeets circled noisily - settling restlessly from time to time.

Eventually it was time for a beer at the bar - after watching the sun set on my last day as a man in his forties. Tomorrow would be my birthday - and it turned out just dandy. But you've had enough for now, haven't you?

Hi

When did you say you were over in C.R.?

We were there during the middle of Feb. Including Pachire Lodge

White collared manikins - Fantastic birds, elsewhere we saw Scarlet macaws and Quetzals but these made it for us. My wife nicked them the fire cracker bird because of their displays. Jumping from a low branch to the ground an, as they hit the ground crack their wing together and jump up, only to land on the ground again, and again cracking their wings. They did this a numbe of imes then taking off with a buzz that sounds not very different to electricity in high powered overhead cables. Naturally, this was one of the few times i didn't take the camcorder.

Absolutely fantastic.

As for the howler monkeys, there was one morning where we were woken by them, particularly vociderous they were but then it was most definitely them being agrieved at the rain that crashed down moments later.

Thanks for the report - I'm still working on mine.

Steve

We stayed at Pachira Lodge in Tortuguero - immediately across the water from the village of Tortuguero - so far everything had gone very smoothly & we settled in for our three day/two nights there.
I had a few birds that first afternoon - including Long-tailed hermit & Collared aracari by the pool & White-collared manakins in the forest grounds.

We had been warned. 05:10 the next pre-dawn the Howler monkeys woke us. The deep & loud roaring was impossible to sleep through - even Mrs.H was awake. And so to the forest. A Bright-rumped attila sang away, Slaty-tailed trogons showed off, & another wren - this time Black-throated held me in thrall. The whole forest was alive with movement & sound, the tick list grew.
We had a free wildlife boat trip in the afternoon, and before that I took a kayak out down the canal to see what I could, but didn't get far & added only Bare-faced tiger heron to the list (but down to one metre!).
The boat trip was excellent. I found the first bird while we were still getting our permits from the reserve office - a Prothonotary warbler. It was as good as I had hoped it would.
The guides were more impressed when I found a Basilisk lizard - as they are green in a green world. From then on they listened when I called out a sighting.
We saw Capuchin & Spider monkeys, Boat-billed herons & Grey-rumped swifts, plus Spectacled cayman - really close!
But bird of the trip - and of the holiday thus far was undoubtably American pygmy kingfisher. What a stunner! We had it down to 2 metres. Red-lored & Mealy parrots were added at the end.
The guide had a word with me as we berthed & told me of a great site to bird in. I arranged for an early morning lift there.

Dawn the next day a water taxi (free) took me to Evergreen Lodge where I spent two happy hours birding both forest & an open area with fruiting trees. Tanagers & Trogons, Ospreys & Aracaris, Caciques & Oropendulas were busy all around; but a very special bird flew over just as the sun came up.
It was carrying identifiable prey & deserves bold letters: Bat falcon.Of course it's prey was a bat! How long have I wanted to see this bird?
A very long time. Happy? Oh Yes.
Wood thrushes showed well in the forest itself - but sounds were all I got of whatever else was hidden. So back to the open area for more ticks.
Purple martin & Black cowled orioles & Bronzy hermit were amongst them.
And I almost forgot Toasty - a Cayman who answers to his name!

My return taxi sped me back for breakfast & then it was time for the journey back to Cano Blanco & onwards to our next destination. We weren't finished with the birds though & American swallow-tailed kite, Red-breasted blackbirds, Amazon kingfisher were highlights of the ticks on route.

From now on I was to encounter more birders, and of course more birds, but I recommend Tortuguero for lots of reasons - & if you are there in June, July & August you can watch Green turtles laying eggs on the beach.
And of course, for me there will always be Batty & Toasty. And that little Pygmy.

Hi Steve,
We were there from Feb 27th until March 11th.
At Pachira from 28th to 1st March.
Yes, those manakins were something else, crazy little birds.
H

Part Ten: Halftwo Reaches 50 & Has Many Ticks.

And so the inevitable march of time means it's the big Five-Oh!

Had a lie-in until six - didn't want to over do things!

Then it was up the hill (& over the hill!) for some new birds.
Same walk as yesterday, different birds.

Brown jays were everywhere, Grey-necked wood rails walked across the track in front of me. A Blue-crowned motmot decided to allow a decent view.
Then a bird wave happened.
First were several beautiful Rufous-capped warblers - first tick of the day - I was delighted that these happened to be my first birthday tick - so lovely, and obliging.
Then some Tityras flew in to a tree top nearby; it took me a few seconds to realise that these were Black-capped & not Masked: another new bird straight after the first! Tanagers began coming in with the wave: Summer & Scarlet in shades of reds, pinks & black. But with these colourful jewels was an altogether more gaudy individual; outshining even the tanagers: a male Painted bunting - an unreal bird, even in this incredible country.
Lots more stuff was all around, even a pair of Scarlet macaws were noisily clambering around in a fruiting tree filling up on seeds/nuts of some kind.
Flycatchers again featured - a Yellow-bellied and an Elaenia I just didn't have the patience to id. - another one that got away - or maybe one I'd already got? A Euphonia had my attention - Yellow-throated, Squirrel cuckoos & four Slaty-tailed trogons were immediately trumped by my favourite Violaceous trogon.
Before I returned for breakfast I'd clocked up three ticks & a snake - later identified as Brown cat-eyed: a small, thin charmer of a snake.

Opened my cards that Mrs.H had packed - & my present from her - ultimately portable - tickets to see Santana! Well pleased with the day thus far, we checked out from Punta Leona & started for Poas Volcano & the last leg of the holiday.

Having dropped our bags at Poas Volcano Lodge we carried on for lunch at the lovely, if touristy, La Paz Waterfall restaurant.
I was unable concentrate on the food, however, as, just by the balcony was a bird feeder busy with birds. And the first was one I had hoped for all holiday: Emerald toucanet!
Common bush-tanagers & Silver-throated tanagers were aplenty, White-collared swifts flew past so low I could, at last get great views of these huge & wonderful birds: all this against a mountain - no - a Volcano - backdrop across the valley below.
The birds kept coming to feed - including Scarlet-thighed dacnis & a Yellow-bellied sapsucker.
But there was a bird that wasn't in the book! AGAIN. (It was, of course, I was looking in the wrong place, completely; but this was shortly to be sorted.)

Then we went down the road - past the last of the waterfalls (which you don't have to pay to see!) to Vera's famous cafe.

You've heard about this earlier - so I won't go on too much about the birds - lots of gorgeous hummers again: but as I was detailing one into my recorder a voice behind me said, "What you've got to ask yourself with this one is: does it have any rufous in the wings?"

This turned out to be none-other than Richard Garrigues - the author of the new Costa Rica fieldguide!! (The bird turned out to be Coppery-headed emerald by the way.)
Richard (that's Mr. Garrigues to you!) was leading a group of birders & as we all watched the birds coming & going I was able to put to rest a few id. problems that had had me frustrated over the trip: and the first was the bird I'd just seen "that wasn't in the book".

Now, if you're going to make a non-id. of a bird so easy to identify, why not do it in front of the country's most pre-eminent expert?! Richard's understanding manner spared my blushes on this one, & turning my guide to the correct page, there it was: Prong-billed barbet.
Funnily enough at that moment a female Red-headed barbet had just come to the fruit feeders - I was just saying that I'd only had a brief flight view of a male.

And my "Euphonia that's not in the book" was also cleared up - but as no-one has attempted an id. I'll leave this 'til another time.

I'd had at least six new birds for the day so far & I thanked Mr.G , said goodbye to his group, and we went to see our Lodge & grounds - which, despite it being near th end of our holiday, had me stunned once more - birthday ticks will continue next time...

Photos:

Mrs.H & me at La Paz cafe,
La Paz waterfall. (rotate, anyone?)
Violet sabrewing.
Halftwo updating birthday notes.
Poas Volcano Lodge's forest grounds.

Attachments

• Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 160.jpg
    Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 160.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 82
  • Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 164.jpg
    Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 164.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 176.jpg
    Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 176.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 90
  • Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 179.jpg
    Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 179.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 181.jpg
    Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 181.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
The Euphonia?

All the males we saw in CR were Metallic Blue with Yellow- except the Bluehooded!
(I didn't see the Olive-backed)
If its not in the book was it from somewhere else? There are all kinds of splits or possible splits - antilles ....I think one was musica but that is the same colour as the others!

Anyway I have turned the waterfall the correct way round...the restaurant was not much to talk about except big but the birds around made it a worthwhile
stop!

Attachments

• waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 75
Thanks for the photo flip, Dryocopus. How did you do it?
No; it (the Euphonia) was one from the book, just a puzzler. Will tell you tomorrow.
Will also try to correct the three grammatical errors when BF will let me edit!
H
Which it still won't for some reason.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photo flip, Dryocopus. How did you do it?
No; it (the Euphonia) was one from the book, just a puzzler. Will tell you tomorrow.
Will also try to correct the three grammatical errors when BF will let me edit!
H
Which it still won't for some reason.

Flipping - a software programme Windows picture and fax viewer. Altho I also use Photoshop!

Editing for some reason BF only allow you to edit within 24 hours or thats my understanding.If you require something to be edited make a request to a moderator.

Euphonia - is intriguing...
my poor book got a battering before ,during and after I returned!

I flipped two before I uploaded & forgot about the other - then found I couldn't flip it once on.
Just managed to edit - I think that was a software problem on the work's computer - it's OK now. (Found a 4th mistake - changed Red-billed to Red-headed barbet!)

As you are the only puzzler on the Euphonia front - I will tell you the answer.
From the description & habitat I gave to RG he reckoned it would be an immature male Scrub euphonia - singing while still in an immature plumage.

ATB,
H

Part Eleven: Poas & a Surprise or Two.

Well, if I thought the Poas area was going to be an anti-climax I couldn't have been more wrong.

As you can see from the photos - it was cold(ish) at 6,000 feet.

1) Me at Poas Volcano road
2) Mrs.H outside the lodge - watching hummers
3) The crater

There's a tree outside Poas Volcano Lodge - large & typically covered in epiphytes etc. It was moving with birds - and there were two or three of the most beautiful birds - Golden-browed chlorophonias - another bird I'd longed to see!
But it didn't end with those - there was a strange-looking beast lurking in the foliage - all dark except for two yellow blobs - the aptly named Yellow-thighed finch. Then a Wilson's warbler flitted through - lovely in yellow & black.
A Hairy woodpecker next, and a pair of Sooty-capped bush-tanagers were courting. On the hummer-feeders the belligerent Violet sabrewings failed to keep the Purple-throated mountain gems at bay.
As the dark fell on this cold mountain a birthday tick-count: 12 !

At the Lodge we sat around a huge log fire & drank cold beer before dinner - chatting to & making friends with a variety of other guests there - from several countries.
Some of the bonds forged were soon to be tried - but more of that later.

The next dawn seemed even colder - I was wearing three T-shirts & my hat - but shivered until sun-up. However the birds were amazing. I walked around the lodge, past the washing line & veg. patch & entered the forest.
Once again, before I had gone a few feet the birds stopped me in my tracks: new birds all.
A bird-wave: Spectacled foliage gleaner! What a surprise - giving great views in the semi-dark of dense foliage. Then: White-throated spadebill - bold as brass on a twig.
Cryptic then gave way to colourful: Collared redstarts flicking through, flashing in motes of new sunshine.
The sky darkened overhead & a huge Black guan landed at treetop just overhead! A fruiting tree was attracting birds & amongst the Clay-coloured robins were Mountain robins.
Beyond that small wood a more open vista of forest & pasture: a flock of Band-tailed pigeons flew in to land. But out in the open a cold wind made me retreat back to shelter: & more birds.

This time a Streak-breasted treehunter was closely followed by a Blue-winged warbler! A Golden-winged warbler - pale & washed out - couldn't outdo a flock of Spangle-cheeked tanagers - gorgeous things. This was a dream. But it wasn't over: Lineated foliage-gleaner was next & not far behind a Spotted barbtail! These were excellent but the next really had me reeling: not one but two Chestnut-capped brush-finches were hopping about on the forest floor & fallen logs!
This was all in an acre or so of wood - and I was now back at the fruiting tree. This time a bird that I couldn't even place to a family had me puzzled. Looking through the guide I found it: Black & yellow silky flycatcher.
I had just clocked up 13 ticks before breakfast - and that makes this tiny wood the best of the trip - I was stunned & numbed - not just because of the cold.

Poas Volcano was shrouded in mist from first light - very unusual. But this was our only chance to see it - so after breakfast we drove up without much hope of visibility.
Red-tailed hawks - one perched - appeared on our approach, but cloud is what we mostly saw.
But as we got to the crater the sky lifted up & we got our view of the crater - and I hand-fed a Yellow-thighed finch!
But it wasn't just cold - it was 8,000 feet high & Mrs. H retreated to the visitors' centre while I had a quick shufty to the crater lake - detouring up another path through elfin forest.

It was here that I was to have another "It's not in the book" moment - getting good views of a bird I just couldn't find in the guide. But I was an old hand at this now, and having taken careful notes of this little robin-like bird hopping around the dark runnels within this cloudy mountain forest, I set about the book determined to find it.
And what I found turned out to be a not-even-dared-hoped-for enigma of these mountains. For this was non-other than (drum-rolls please):

Zeledonia

Well I think gob-smacked is the phrase.
We returned to the lodge after a good lunch nearby - I think I might have mentioned Zeledonia once or twice to Mrs.H!
Before sundown I had a little walk around the lodge grounds again: shame not to really!
Fifteenth tick of the day - one I instantly recognised: Slaty flowerpiercer.

And so the sun set on the last full day of the holiday - and I thought it had ended dramatically. Events, however were to prove far more dramatic yet. But, as I might have said before, that will have to wait until next time...

Attachments

• Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 194.jpg
    Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 194.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 205.jpg
    Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 205.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 198.jpg
    Richard's 5oth Birthday Tour of Costa Rica - 2008 198.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Another good read H.....think you deserve a cut from the Costa Rican tourist board!

And glad you found something unexpected.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back