• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New and seeking advice (1 Viewer)

missbess

Hello,

I just joined and hope to find some helpful advice. When I came home this afternoon, my friend found a baby bird next to my driveway. It has feathers on its wings and some "fuzz" on its body, but no tail feathers. It appears too small to be on its own.

My friend and I located its nest directly above where it lay. He got a ladder and returned it to its nest. I watched from a distance as the youngster tumbled to the ground before my friend had even put the ladder away.

I sat quietly for some time and watched as the parents (I presume) fed the bird - which appears to be a Sparrow - possibly a Chipping Sparrow. It seems too young to be a fledgling. (Please see photos below.) Even if it does appear too young/undeveloped, as long as the parents continue to care for it, should I just leave it alone? It was in the NC sun, so I did move it into the shade, but it hopped back into the sun.

I once raised/released a pair of Cedar Waxwings which had no feathers when they were brought to me, so I have some experience in raising young birds. But I'd prefer to leave the job to "mom and dad" if at all possible. I just don't want to go out and find this little one dead.

I can email full size photos of the bird to anyone who's interested.

Thanks.
Cindy

Attachments

• babybird.jpg
    babybird.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 65
  • babybird1.jpg
    babybird1.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 58
  • babybird2.jpg
    babybird2.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Hello there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Yes, a fine sign and best to leave it be as long as it appears safe. The parents are not far away. This is a common occurrence during nesting season. Sometimes there's just not enough room in the nest as the chicks grow larger. The parents will feed them on the ground and this is typical when the chicks fledge. They may seem helpless but the parents are keeping an eye on them ;)

Thanks so much for the quick reply! The parents are definitely keeping an eye on it and were feeding it, so I'm hoping it will be okay. There are no cats around and it's very close to my house, so I think it should be fairly safe from other predators. I really hope so....it's so cute.

Thanks again!
Cindy

G'day

G'day Missbess & welcome to BF from Down Under. B :)

From what has been said, all should be well. I have Welcome Swallows that annually nest at the rear of my house, under a metal roof. On several occasions, you chicks have fallen from the nest, particularly during Australian heatwaves. They are cared for by the parents and on one occasion, our cat stood guard :cat: - to keep other stray cats away. It will not take long before the youngster learns to fly. o:)

Thanks so much for the warm welcomes! What a nice group of folks.

The little one made it through the night! I was concerned he/she was cold as the sun went down yesterday, as it seemed to be shivering. I made it a small "nest" lined with dried grass. He/she remained in the nest and I'm delighted to report he/she was looking for food when I went out this morning, so I'm assuming mom and dad are continuing to look after it. I have to leave today for my home in PA, so I'm hoping it makes it.

Many thanks again for the warm welcomes.
Cindy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back