• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on extent of injury, Scrub Jay (1 Viewer)

kinglet749

Hi all, I could not find an injury/rescue discussion on this forum but it's late and I don't have a lot of time.
I have a Western Scrub Jay that flew into a window in the interior of my friend's house this afternoon. It immediately went down and I folded its wings up and secured it in a box. I figured I could leave it for an hour and it would recover and fly off. Well it's been 5 hours and the bird now is in the following state:
-Alert, will drink water if beak held near tap
-Ambulatory. Will skitter across the floor if let free
-Unable to sit upright
-Unable to fly
-Can hang from my hand downward- very strong grip from talons
-Seems intact, no obvious wing injuries.

Can someone help me figure out what its injury might be? I've never seen this combination of symptoms before. I have rehabbed birds before and would prefer to do it myself if possible. Also seeing the other threads here, I will just say right now I will NOT club it over the head. I can freeze it, something I consider a much more humane method than clubbing and have done before.
I know it's just a scrub jay, but right now it's MY scrub jay.
Thank you all.

Hi kinglet and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

We have guidelines for you here. Do you have a rehabber's licence? Good luck and let us know the outcome please.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back