• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (5 Viewers)

Early this morning a pair of Kingfisher together on the River Rea, Selly Park (my second pair this weekend)
Then a run along the River Cole, Trittiford to Sarehole Mill, there was a Kingfisher and several Little Egret.
I then checked out the lower Bourn Brook and bumped into JackRabbit off this forum who same as me was looking for the Dipper but we had no luck.
Late afternoon I had another run along the Bourn Brook, still no Dipper but again there was a Kingfisher on upper Bourn Brook and then one passed me, calling on lower Bourn Brook. As I ran back it was halfway along between the two boulders, sat over the brook on a tree branch. Great!

I then checked out the lower Bourn Brook and bumped into JackRabbit off this forum who same as me was looking for the Dipper but we had no luck.
Nice to meet you zomerset. After you left I walked as far as the blue bridge and back again, but I'm still dipper-less! No Kingfishers for me but I did hear a Green Woodpecker, plus a couple of Treecreepers singing and at least 4 Grey Wags.

Dropped in at Bartley Reservoir afterwards and saw 4 Shelduck so not bad a morning after all.

Cheers
Stu.

Manor Farm Park 4pm
Shoveler x 3 (1M 2F)
The Shoveler are still present at Manor Farm Park, with two males and females mixing in with the mallards.
The Kingfisher passed me again on the lower Bourn Brook, between the two boulders, with another on upper Bourn Brook. They are calling now which is great to hear!

Manor Farm Park 4pm (is this getting repetitive yet?)

Goosander 2F
Shoveler 5M 3F
Mistle Thush x 2

Plus all the usual suspects.

Manor Farm Park 4pm (is this getting repetitive yet?)
Goosander 2F
Shoveler 5M 3F
Mistle Thush x 2
Plus all the usual suspects.

Never Rob! The Shoveler are great! And local Goosander too! Interesting how the Shoveler numbers are going up. I wonder how long they will stay. I guess we shall find out.

Yesterday evening, I had the excitement of seeing a Barn Owl & Kingfisher in Essex within a couple minutes of each other. The second time in a two Essex locations I have seen this now. Back on the Bourn Brook walkway this afternoon there were a couple Kingfisher and a couple Grey Wagtails, one of which was flying up and catching the insects just above the brook.
At Manor Farm Park, I could see three male Shoveler, two busy feeding. Great!

We had a great sighting of a kingfisher between Trittiford Pond and Shirley today. I was my best sighting ever!

We had a great sighting of a kingfisher between Trittiford Pond and Shirley today. I was my best sighting ever!
Hi Julie, great news. If you visit this site regularly you will have the best Kingfisher sightings.
This morning in the pouring rain the Kingfisher was on Chinn Brook next to the River Cole/Wonders Walk. Great!
I've seen Kingfisher chasing along here with a few going past;
http://kingfisherspotter.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/good-and-bad-2016.html?m=1
I got a few photo's here;
https://flic.kr/p/FvxV3q
https://flic.kr/p/FexHwq

Kingerfisher

First stroll down the bourn for a while produced kingerfiser(male) beside big pipes, 5m from me. Great view.
Also saw chiffchaff (singing) beside footprint boulder and water rails calling. Beautiful spring like day.

Hi all

Saw one flying along the stream on the way to Parkridge Nature Reserve, Solihull this afternoon. Also saw my first sighting of Reedbuntings :)

I see you also post from Kings Norton. Thinking of going tomorrow as part of what is rapidly turning into my great holiday "Tour of Birmingham's Nature Reserves"!!!!!!

I see you also post from Kings Norton. Thinking of going tomorrow as part of what is rapidly turning into my great holiday "Tour of Birmingham's Nature Reserves"!!!!!!

I started a tour of the Trust Reserves but got to Feckenham and got waylaid.....it was the good year for kingfishers.....lol

Little egret

Cycling through shenley park and found a little egret beside the workout facilities. Fishing in the small stream. Saw me approach and walked up the grass slope revealing it's yellow socks. Approximately 12.30. Very close views.

Manor Farm Park, 4pm:

Shoveler (3M)

But no Goosander for the first time in months.

Has anyone else in south Birmingham noticed the annual sudden massive drop in the BHG numbers in the last couple of days? Away from obvious nesting sites, of course.

Manor Farm Park this afternoon

Also present in Manor Farm Park this afternoon was this unusual (female?) Mallard.

(Apologies for the crap camera phone shots. Thankfully she let me get close enough to get these)

Attachments

• duck1.jpg
    duck1.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 53
  • duck2.jpg
    duck2.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Could not find the Shoveler at Manor Farm Park.
The Kingfisher was on the upper Bourn Brook with a pair of Grey Wagtails.
A few Chaffinch and Sparrows feeding nearby. Great!

Could not find the Shoveler at Manor Farm Park.

I did wonder yesterday how long they'd stick around with no females for company. The improvement in temperatures this week seems to have had a marked impact on local birdlife.

Off topic, as I always seem to be on this thread, but 7am visitors to our feeders this week have included a pair of Greenfinch (unusual for our garden, for some reason) and a male Blackcap, which I've seen regularly since before the RSPB Garden Birdwatch in January.

Little egret

Little Egret still in shennley park. From Cromwell lane follow the park walking lane till you come to the skateboarding facility. Seems to favour this area.
Note: very flighty, so check tree tops along the stream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back