• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

3 dead blue tit chicks and 3 eggs in box.. (1 Viewer)

Romafree

We hoped that the blue tits had fledged the other day when activity stopped.....one of the parents visited the bird box but came straight back out. We thought this strange as they had been so active.
I checked for any activity for days but there was none so carefully lifted the top on the ceramic nest box....3 fully feathered dead little ones and 3 unfertilised eggs....we are so sad for them and the parents who worked so hard for so long. :C

Oh, that is SO sad. Do you have any idea why this has happened? Have you had the severe weather down in South Wales, could that have been a possible cause or maybe not enough food for the chicks ? You must be feeling really upset after discovering that.|=(|

I am terribly upset, yes. I keep asking myself "why?!". It certainly was not due to lack of food, the parents were seen to be carrying caterpillars etc from afar and also making heavy use of the various feeders we have here.
I can only suppose it could have been the cold? Nights here been very chilly indeed, so bad for June.
Could not have been a cat but did wonder re another bird perhaps killing them? Think it more likely to be the cold? We miss them so much, one parent is returning to the fat feeder.

If the bodies were not damaged in anyway then I guess you can elimate a cat or some other kind of predator ( although would a cat be able to gain access to a bird box ? ). I'm sure you did everything you could. It is very sad, both for you and the parents who put all that work into raising the babies. I posted recently about seeing a Kestral kill a Pied Wagtail chick. I know its the way of nature, but it seems very brutal sometimes when you witness stuff first hand. Bit of a reality check I think. Maybe the parents will try again.

There is no way a cat could have killed them as the bird box is very secure, I guess we will never know?
I was cheered today by watching about 5 blue tits in the garden (we only ever saw 3!)....the starlings are busy both on the ground and on the bird table, the sparrows pecking at the fat balls ~ wish the robin would re-appear. We also have a pair of visiting blackbirds. I was glad to see them all as our discovery was very upsetting ~ those poor parents, they did everything right and worked so hard.
The kestrel killing the chick must have been awful but as you say, we have to acknowledge nature as she is.

I was thinking ....... if the chicks were getting cold wouldn't the parents realise this and keep them warm? They know to keep the eggs warm. Was also thinking why doesn't someone invent a bird box that either has an outer layer that keeps them cool in hot weather and warm in cool weather or has a compartment in the bottom of the box where something like a snugglesafe could be added if needed when cold. Snugglesafes last for 12 hours when heated in a microwave so would last out a cold night.

I have cheepers in box number 2 in back garden about to fledge. Quite anxious for them now after reading your story, especially as the weather has turned quite nasty up here.

Yes, a box along those lines would be great but wonder if maybe they would catch a chill upon leaving if they were cossetted too much Can't win can you?! Blue tits are late this year anyway, unbelievable that it is still so cold?
I am sure your chicks will be ok? Do hope so, what are they?!!

Yes, a box along those lines would be great but wonder if maybe they would catch a chill upon leaving if they were cossetted too much Can't win can you?! Blue tits are late this year anyway, unbelievable that it is still so cold?
I am sure your chicks will be ok? Do hope so, what are they?!!

They are Sparrow chicks. I do worry about them, am constantly peering up at box and listening. The back garden is full of chicks right now, there must be close to 3 dozen parents and babies out there. We are having all the wind and rain that other parts of the UK had earlier. What a world for little chicks to enter !!

I haven't seem the Great Tit chicks for awhile. I have seen one parent. Hope everyone is ok, they may be just keeping out of the weather as much as posible. Mr Blackbird has hurt his leg |=(| I didn't see him but hubby said he was hopping on one leg and holding the other one up. You mentioned putting out cheese. I didn't know birds liked cheese? Any particular kind of bird have a taste for it or just all birds. If your Robin is still visiting he/she might like some suet pellets or suet block ( if you haven't already tried it ). Mine love this and also seem to like the seed mixes I buy from Wilkinsons. I buy the Blackbird, Robin, Finch and Bluetit food and then mix them all together with sunflower hearts, meal worms, peanut granules, and the suet pellets.

Your garden must be like something out of Springwatch!! (Love that programme!). Do hope all your birdies stay safe! Poor Blackbird, wonder what happened?
Robins like a bit of cheese and so do starlings (I grate it or cut it into very small pieces). Yes, robins love suet! Our yorkies are also (unfortunately) loving all this and clearing the ground under the bird table and feeders..grr!!
Hope you see the Great Tits soon....

We had a break in the weather earlier and the sun came out. I counted at least 17 Sparrow chicks basking on the warm gravel |:D| and getting fed by mum and dad. I took some pics on my phone but don't think they will come out too well. Some of the chicks looked as they might have just fledged, they are tiny and have soft baby beaks. They were SOOOO cute. :kiss:

I will try the cheese out tomorrow. Is cheddar ok?

Yeah, I have put cheddar out but keep the bits small....if you have those sweet babies out there, may be grated best? Not sure if sparrows like cheese though, our robin does, if the starling don't steal it first!
How wonderful to see baby sparrows being fed like that!! o:)
We now have an albino bird...I posted elsewhere but lost the post now, lol!

I found your post re the Albino bird - how exciting for you! Hope you can get a picture of him/her.

Would you know if its possible to put out live bait such as maggots, worms, etc ( bought from a fishing shop ) for the adult birds to feed to their chicks, please ? We were thinking about this earlier. The 2nd lot of sparrow chicks in box 1 were born today !!!! I was sat outside and suddenly heard a very quiet, subdued peeping coming from the box :kiss: Anyway, was just wondering about a shortage of 'natural ' food for the chicks with the unsettled weather we are having and thought maybe we could supplement a bit.

Oh, I wish I knew the answer to your question, hope somebody else will!! Congrats on the new babies btw!!
I would love to get a pic of the albino bird but not been lucky yet and in the morning we are going away for best part of a week. Will leave the feeders full though, top up clean water etc!!
Will be checking in on our return or even when away if poss. Love this site! o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back