• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Gold Ring HD 8x32 versus SV 8x32 (3 Viewers)

And I would assume that the SOOOOO many things turn into SOOOOO much time, which turns into SOOOOOOOOOOO much money.:eek!::-O Unless the second tier manufacturers figure a way around all of these important steps, it seems as if the price for the best will always be stiff.

There are SOOOOO many things in making an optical instrument work that good and intelligent people don't think about, or even KNOW they SHOULD think about. |:$|

Bill

They're shooting for 1/4 Lambda in the visible spectrum--with the center point being about .580 microns.

Now then, how many understood that? But we can all understand "35 coats," especially if it is made to sound important, by an advertiser. There are SOOOOO many things in making an optical instrument work that good and intelligent people don't think about, or even KNOW they SHOULD think about. |:$|

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for explaining!!! I really mean that.

Unlike you I'm no practical and skilled optical expert, so I'm gonna phrase on a way I've understood the material.

From factory visits I understood that the coatings were brought on the optical glass surface in a high vacuum container where a small amount of coating material is present and under high vacuum like rain drops "fall" on the optical glass surface and the amount of coating material realizes the thickness of the coating.

Is this the same as you put it in the 1/4 Lambda language?

Jan

. I think the truth is that most people don't want to spend two grand on a set of binoculars, so they feel the need to tell everyone who has what a poor choice they've made.

No, most people just don't care nearly as much as obsessed optics enthusiasts about alphas vs mid tier vs whatever.
Most bird watchers and/or naturalists just want "two tubes that make things look
closer" as Sancho (think it was Sancho) famously said. They just want a reliable
binocular that lets them see a bird up close.

Last edited:
No, most people just don't care nearly as much as obsessed optics enthusiasts about alphas vs mid tier vs whatever.
Most bird watchers and/or naturalists just want "two tubes that make things look
closer" as Sancho (think it was Sancho) famously said. They just want a reliable
binocular that let's them see a bird up close.

This sums it up perfectly to me. Everyone has something they probably obsess over. For me optics are very interesting, but not an obsession.

My wife is that way with wristwatches. I was trying to buy her a very nice watch (Omega Constellation) and she said heck no. So we bought her a very nice Raymond Weil Tango. Certainly not an inexpensive time piece but half the price of the Omega. What does she wear 99% of the time? A plastic purple Swatch. I like nice watches, she could care less.

This sums it up perfectly to me. Everyone has something they probably obsess over. For me optics are very interesting, but not an obsession.

My wife is that way with wristwatches. I was trying to buy her a very nice watch (Omega Constellation) and she said heck no. So we bought her a very nice Raymond Weil Tango. Certainly not an inexpensive time piece but half the price of the Omega. What does she wear 99% of the time? A plastic purple Swatch. I like nice watches, she could care less.

I can relate. I love handbags (I've cut back my spending on them) and had
owned a Fendi bag (high end brand) and many mid priced brands like
Coach, Kate Spade, etc. I use my 2 LeSportsac bags the most lately.
They are very cheap in comparison. They're very comfy and cute.
My collection of bags is small now.

I think maybe it happens as we get older, some sooner than others and some are never afflicted (my wife, rather buy the grandkids something than spend it on herself). I have the half of the upper shelf of my gun safe filled with various wristwatches. Most havent seen the light of day in a year probably. The one I wear every day if it's not raining is a well worn gold Elgin from the late 40's. Well worn, not the most accurate, needs to be wound every day at approx the same time to be pretty accurate and has to be babied. But every time I look at it for the time memories flash behind my eyes. I have found them more important than what is own my wrist. I suspect my binocular will be the same in 10 years.

And I would assume that the SOOOOO many things turn into SOOOOO much time, which turns into SOOOOOOOOOOO much money.:eek!::-O Unless the second tier manufacturers figure a way around all of these important steps, it seems as if the price for the best will always be stiff.
Exactly. That is what you are paying the $2K for when you buy an alpha.

That's very true. Most people don't care about that last 3% of optical performance. Now days too you can get an excellent binocular for say $500 to $700 which is going to satisfy most birders. I would say birders as a group are more optically obsessed than hunters because the detailed view of the bird is what they are after whereas a hunter just wants to see the deer or bear or whatever they are hunting. They don't really care if the deer has grey green eyes.

You can REALLY spend a lot of money of watches. I had some pricey watches that I had to keep in a watch winder and set them every time I wore them. Eventually I sold them because they were too much hassle and now I have a Casio Atomic Solar digital that I never have to set or wind. More accurate and way more convenient than an Omega or Rolex. I don't have to worry about somebody cutting it off my wrist either. With Cell Phones why do you even need a watch?

The less expensive bags are just as functional and you don't have to worry about them.

Bill,

Thanks for explaining!!! I really mean that.

Unlike you I'm no practical and skilled optical expert, so I'm gonna phrase on a way I've understood the material.

From factory visits I understood that the coatings were brought on the optical glass surface in a high vacuum container where a small amount of coating material is present and under high vacuum like rain drops "fall" on the optical glass surface and the amount of coating material realizes the thickness of the coating.

Is this the same as you put it in the 1/4 Lambda language?

Jan

Your basic understanding is quite correct. Of course, there are technicalities even here, getting the deposition to be uniform and making sure the layers stick properly to each other, but the process is well in hand.
The 'lambda' is the wavelength of the light getting specified, in this case 0.580 microns or 580 nanometers, which is yellow to the human eye. The specification is for the surface layer to be accurate to one quarter of that.
Really fancy telescope mirrors can be accurate to 0.1 lambda, but prices go up sharply as the lambda fraction goes down.
Do note that semiconductor production currently involves component sizes of well under 20 nanometers, requiring accuracies below UV wavelength.

Your basic understanding is quite correct. Of course, there are technicalities even here, getting the deposition to be uniform and making sure the layers stick properly to each other, but the process is well in hand.
The 'lambda' is the wavelength of the light getting specified, in this case 0.580 microns or 580 nanometers, which is yellow to the human eye. The specification is for the surface layer to be accurate to one quarter of that.
Really fancy telescope mirrors can be accurate to 0.1 lambda, but prices go up sharply as the lambda fraction goes down.
Do note that semiconductor production currently involves component sizes of well under 20 nanometers, requiring accuracies below UV wavelength.

See, this is Lambda talk (even) I understand.

Thanks Etudiant.

Jan

I'm taking the opposite approach. I've worked my ass off for years and been poor the whole time and never had the money for anything nice. I'm in pain from the work and my eyes have elevated pressure as of the last couple of years. While I can I'm going to enjoy a few things.

If that's what you want, I'm happy for you, but the Idea that a ZEN, or which ever other Chinese glass of any model is even close to the top level optics is an idea I reject. The forum is about birding, but it's also about optics, and misleading people about the real difference in optical quality levels doesn't help anyone. How many with all the comebacks have taken the time to actually compare several of the models being spoken about at home side by side with an FL,SV,SE EDG ?

If that's what you want, I'm happy for you, but the Idea that a ZEN, or which ever other Chinese glass of any model is even close to the top level optics is an idea I reject. The forum is about birding, but it's also about optics, and misleading people about the real difference in optical quality levels doesn't help anyone. How many with all the comebacks have taken the time to actually compare several of the models being spoken about at home side by side with an FL,SV,SE EDG ?

:t::t:I'm with you!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back