• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid 8x32 BA, how does it compare? (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I am thinking about getting a nice 8x32 binocular, and am
wondering how the Trinovid compares to some of the newer
models out there.
I do know some of the advantages of the newer models, with
ED glass, etc.
How does their apparent brightness compare with some current
models ?

Jerry

I am thinking about getting a nice 8x32 binocular, and am
wondering how the Trinovid compares to some of the newer
models out there.
I do know some of the advantages of the newer models, with
ED glass, etc.
How does their apparent brightness compare with some current
models ?

Jerry

You'll loose some in terms of brightness and perhaps also in sharpness, although the BAs were phase coated by the mid 1990s. With or without, it is a superbly handy and reliable glass you'll be happy with. You won't miss the modest improvements in transmission and coatings achieved in the past 20 years.

They are very nicely made. Built like a tank though a bit heavy. ER at 14mm is not for glasses wears with deep set eyes. Optically they are still very good, but with similar money or even lower you could get better modern bins.

So, it depends what is your main concern.

You'll loose some in terms of brightness and perhaps also in sharpness, although the BAs were phase coated by the mid 1990s.

The Trinovid BAs were phase-coated right from the start. There are no BAs that weren't phase-coated. Sharpness in the centre is no problem. They are sharp.

With or without, it is a superbly handy and reliable glass you'll be happy with. You won't miss the modest improvements in transmission and coatings achieved in the past 20 years.

I find the difference in transmission is visible - but nothing much to worry about. IMO the 8x32s are the best of the Trinovid BAs. I find them better than the 42s.

Hermann

The Trinovid BAs were phase-coated right from the start. There are no BAs that weren't phase-coated. Sharpness in the centre is no problem. They are sharp.

I find the difference in transmission is visible - but nothing much to worry about. IMO the 8x32s are the best of the Trinovid BAs. I find them better than the 42s.

Hermann

Thanks for the clarification that phase coating is the norm for the BA line. I only knew that some of them had it. But I too can testify as to the robustness and ease of use of the 8x32 BAs.

Just wondering....how do they compare to the Zeiss 8x30 BGATP of similar era?

The Leicas are ...

+ much more robust (one of the most robust binoculars ever made IMO)
+ waterproof (the Zeiss have focusing objective lenses)
+ much better when viewing against the light, especially against the low sun.

Among their disadvantages are ...

- that they have fairly smaller eye-relief than the Zeiss
- that the focusing isn't as smooth, and it often ...
- has some play (which doesn't get bigger, however).

They also have the warm "Leica colours" which you may like or dislike.

When I got my 8x32BA in 1993, I stopped using my Zeiss 8x30BGATP altogether. The Leica *is* better.

I still use the Leica quite a lot actually. It's the pair I take when I know I need a robust, waterproof amd smallish pair.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back