• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winner of the July 20005 competition - anonymous_guy! (1 Viewer)

IanF

Congratulations to anonymous_guy with his winning entry Hornet incoming
which attracted 25/118 votes cast.

Second placed was icansprint with Flight of the Dragonfly with 10 votes.

Third place went to Muskrat with Eastern Tiger Swallowtail with 8 votes.

A big thank you to everyone who took the time to enter and to view the entries and cast your vote.

The entries will be left in place for a few days after which they will be moved to their appropriate forums. Details of the August theme challenge will then follow.

Last edited:
Congratulations Guy.

This is the first competition that I have actually picked the winning entry correctly.

Thanks all.... have been on tenterhooks all week, last time I won anything was a pub raffle (3 pork pies and a roast chicken) 30 years ago, & to win this has been especially gratifying as I got my first camera less than a year ago.
I'd like to thank not only those that voted for me, but everybody involved in every aspect of the competition...., it's been fun. A special mention should go to all the other entrants, not only those that made the cut, but all of them. In my eyes they are all winners. For the record, my favourite was the 2 Skippers. After seeing AB's pic, I wished I'd posted a butterfly. But all's well that ends well.

Once again.........., thanks all.... now if I could just work out how to do birds in flight in time for next month.

Muskrat said:
Congratulations, Guy!!! I enjoyed the competition and your photo is a true winner!!!
Muskrat

Your photo would have won most other comps, which makes Guy's entry even more stunning.

anonymous_guy said:
Thanks all.... have been on tenterhooks all week, last time I won anything was a pub raffle (3 pork pies and a roast chicken) 30 years ago, & to win this has been especially gratifying as I got my first camera less than a year ago.
I'd like to thank not only those that voted for me, but everybody involved in every aspect of the competition...., it's been fun. A special mention should go to all the other entrants, not only those that made the cut, but all of them. In my eyes they are all winners. For the record, my favourite was the 2 Skippers. After seeing AB's pic, I wished I'd posted a butterfly. But all's well that ends well.

Once again.........., thanks all.... now if I could just work out how to do birds in flight in time for next month.

Its the first time I voted in the monthly competition and picked up the correct entry. That makes my success rate 100%! May I now request the author of this stunning photograph to divulge the secret? How is it possible to photograph a hornet that moves at 20-30 mph? I feel that I can learn a lot from your technique.

moitra said:
May I now request the author of this stunning photograph to divulge the secret? How is it possible to photograph a hornet that moves at 20-30 mph? I feel that I can learn a lot from your technique.

As explained earlier in another thread - was by using the "Bontempi Gigapix Fandango i-Bamboozler®" (roughly translated as "Having a great time taking lots of pics with lots of confused eye-dancing") - an explanation of how the Bontempi camera works is posted here in a local forum: http://www.lamma.com.hk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2257

But the technical explanation is:
Sit for a hundered hours with a rotting banana, with 50 hornets buzzing round yr head & tangling in yr hair, set the 60mm lens at minimum focal distance (about 4" from the end of the lens [I think]), set the speed at 500 & the fstop at 28-40 (depending on ambient light) with fill-in flash & wait for one to fill the frame.
For other pics (including what I think is the Asian Killer Hornet responsible for 40+ deaths in Japan last year) - can be seen here.http://www.pbase.com/anonymousguy/hornets

So as you see - blind luck.
Thanks once again to everybody - I am really chuffed (overwhelmed).
Now....., how to get the birds to fill frame a 200m lens in time for next month.

anonymous_guy said:
But the technical explanation is:
Sit for a hundered hours with a rotting banana, with 50 hornets buzzing round yr head & tangling in yr hair, set the 60mm lens at minimum focal distance (about 4" from the end of the lens [I think]), set the speed at 500 & the fstop at 28-40 (depending on ambient light) with fill-in flash & wait for one to fill the frame.
BTW - there is a disclaimer for injury liability through the use of this method ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back