• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (43 Viewers)

Redhouse

Corn Bunts singing, a pair grey partridge at redhouse.First Garden warbler in. I thought 'my' local Barnies had perished over Winter...but this filled me with joy!!

Attachments

• barnowl5.jpg
    barnowl5.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 100
Hi All,

I am a keen camper,walker and ornithologist.I hope to stay at The Green Dragon Inn, Hardraw,Upper Wensleydale Camp Site in the near future.Can anyone give me advice on the birds I can or could see locally to that location ? I regularly walk 20 plus miles round trip on a day so sites within that area are on my potential map to.I hope you can help,send a P.M. if there are sensitive sites or post on here generally known places. Thanks in anticipation for your help.

Cheers
Andy K
Sunderland

Bargain

Corn Bunts singing, a pair grey partridge at redhouse.First Garden warbler in. I thought 'my' local Barnies had perished over Winter...but this filled me with joy!!
I'm not surprised, I have only seen 2 Barnies around here since crimbo.
Great capture by you and the Barnie.

Great afternoon at Swillington Ings today.
There were 2 sanderling on the Chain islands along with 4 ringed plovers and 2 dunlin on Boomerang island. The first 2 being year ticks for both of us.
Above the hillside a couple of buzzards were seen, later in the day another much paler bird flew over the hill, we also saw kestrel and had numerous views of a hobby that seemed to favour the sky between the plantation and the dragline. It was amazing how the bird could just vanish though, one minute it's in the bins - the next it's gone. Having reached 3 species we knew there wasn't going to be anymore raptors through.
One thing about the hide at Swillington is whilst the sun being behind the hide gives you good viewing, even on a very warm day the inside of the hide can be very cold. Final species count for a couple of hours in the hide, 36 which was pretty decent I think.

Looking at the map the arrow is pointing at the eastern side of the river by the bridge at the Priory. Anyone know if the photos are online anywhere? Very tempted to go over there now

Last edited:
Not seen Rock Bunting but I have seen it's congener, House Bunting in Tunisia. Can't think of any confusion species. Where's the the link? My puter is up the spout.

Keith, your previous post suggests there was only one Hobby. You were watching a different bird over the dragline while I was calling another around the plantation. As you said, it was a cracking few hours with quality birds. The pale Buzzard would have foxed me had there not been excellent views.

Looking at the map the arrow is pointing at the eastern side of the river by the bridge at the Priory. Anyone know if the photos are online anywhere? Very tempted to go over there now

Reading the rarities thread it looks like it's up the hill, an interesting one for any fatties especially if carrying kg's of gear. Farmer could make a killing driving them up in a 4x4, unfortunately Devonshire will make a bob or two if it's around.

Reading the rarities thread it looks like it's up the hill, an interesting one for any fatties especially if carrying kg's of gear. Farmer could make a killing driving them up in a 4x4, unfortunately Devonshire will make a bob or two if it's around.

Nah if it's up the hill go to the cafe on the Storiths road and walk downhill, sooner give a quid or two to the cafe owner than Devonshire.

Had a weird Grasshopper Warbler at a Holderness location today. Weird, because it's lost most of its tail feathers, but those it does have seem to be mainly white - anyone observed this phenomena before? Unfortunately, only record shots obtained. Tony Robinson has sent some showing the white better, which I've added to the blog

Attachments

• 11-05-11Gropper00KG.jpg
    11-05-11Gropper00KG.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Can't help you there Michael, but from recall all Locustellas undergo an Autumn moult prior to migration. They should arrive in 'pristine' condition. Shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong, it's only from memory.

If my puter is working right this should be post 14999. A suggestion. Let Keith as the daddy of this thread make the 15000. Are you with me?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back