• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help a Nikon 7x35E Owner In distress !!!! (1 Viewer)

I find small porros to be the easest to hold, but this is true for my hands and I am not going to proclaim it true for everyone. Of the roofs I have seen, and I would safely say that I have seen all of them, only the 32mm ELs feel the same in my hands.

Dennis, read up at cloudynights.com about SEs, Fujinons, and other high resolution porros.

Top roofs may beat the SEs in features, but they have some work to do in regards to total optical quality. You may see me and other fans of SEs carrying something else, but it is not because the choice was made on optics alone. What does a centerfield resolution test tell you about CA, about color saturation, about edge sharpness, about field distortion? Nothing. I could fabricate a lense that has twice the resolution your eye can perceive, but with terrible color and field curvature, and I doubt you would like using it despite the stellar resolution score.

Last edited:
Raybo said:
BTW,
My crappy non roof, old technology, poor ergonomic E2 bins are one of the BEST bins I have had the pleasure of looking through.

:news:

Sorry people, he just got to me. :storm:

Yeah, i told my younger daughter about Dennis who thinks that her 8x30 EII's are inferior, and i can't post in here what she replied. Hm, where did she learn all that? Surely not from me :hi:

I have images of binoculars and pretty girls floating across my mind as I search for the words to rebut Bill's argument regarding porros vs. roofs. I have decided discretion is the better part of valor and I will withdraw taking my E, EII, and SE glasses with me...for now. :gn:

Bill Atwood said:
The venerated porro 8x32 SEs = Rosanne Barr
XYZ Premium Brand roof = Kate Winslet
Nikon HG/LX roof = Salma Hayek

A different analogy:

SE (porro) = Dear old Mom. Maybe a bit long in the tooth and completely unhip with no sex appeal (except perhaps to Dear old Dad). But she loves you with a clarity and resolve that is unmatched by any other.

Roof = Hollywood Starlet. Totally sexy and hot, but the obvious charms can sometimes cloud a man's vision to the true character within.

Uhhhhhhh...that analogy is a bit too Oedipal for me.

The HG's have plenty enough "character" to satisfy. And the petite version is a cheaper date than mom.

Bill Atwood said:
Uhhhhhhh...that analogy is a bit too Oedipal for me.

The HG's have plenty enough "character" to satisfy. And the petite version is a cheaper date than mom.

Sorry Bill. Didn't mean to come across as Oedipal. Guess I was finding that Rosanne Barr analogy almost as annoying as Rosanne herself.

What if your mother looks like Salma Hayak? What binoculars would you use then? How would Oedipus handle this issue?

The review you are talking about is about five years old isn't it? I think the technology of the new roofs has improved since then to give them the edge over the Nikon Superior E. The roofs will keep getting better but I think the Nikon Superior E is stagnant as far as improvements in coatings and such. There is just not as many people buying them as roofs.

Dennis

The Nikon 8x32 SE knocks the Swarovski 8x32 EL for six. It's not even close. It has better contrast, less CA and a flatter field with better edges than the 8.5x42 EL. It has better off axis sharpness and less distortion than the Zeiss 8x42 FL. Where it loses out is at night.

Roof prism glasses are trying to catch up, but they are not there yet IMO and I'm not sure they ever will be due to cost.

As for coatings, well much of the improvement has been on the reflective coatings on SP roofs to make them almost as good as total internal reflection employed by porros and AK roofs.

I suspect that the internal focussing lens in most roofs slightly reduces the image quality.

The main advantages of roofs are the ergonomics (compact) and weather proofing. An 8x42 porro with a wide field comparable to the best roofs would be huge due to the large prisms and housing. (The Swift Audubon 8.5x44 is a good example.)

Leif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back