• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax PF ED II 65mm? (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all of the advice regarding a scope purchase. I have decided to buy a Pentax 65 mm ED II (Angled Body) from Amazon. I have always liked angled scopes better so I am going to get another. While Adorama had the lowest price, Amazon had the second best price & I had a gift certificate to use up so they made sense as a vendor. The only part of the purchase I am somewhat unhappy about is getting the standard 20-60x zoom eyepiece. I will have to save up to get a better eyepiece. I am not too unhappy though because there will be situations where a zoom is better than a fixed eyepiece.
Best to all,
Neil

Can i Ask ..i have found a 65ED for sale secondhand...i checked and found the camera k mount adapter costs $400+ (wow)..could i use a normal 1.25" barrel with t-thrad to attach my camera..i was also not pleased to read the 400 adapter doubled the f ratio to 12..my televue 1.25" adapter is much shorter. i am thinking it may increase f ratio only slightly, maybe f8

The short answer is no. For prime focus photography your camera's sensor needs to be positioned at the focal plane of the scope's objective lens and that is inside the scope body. The Pentax adapter uses optical elements to extend the objective's focal plane beyond the back of the body to reach the camera sensor. The Televue adapter won't work because it's just a hollow tube that doesn't change the location of the focal plane. You'll have this same problem with any spotting scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back