• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help needed, female king eider/female eider (1 Viewer)

F1F3R

United Kingdom
hello

can any1 please help me distinguish between a female King Eider and a female Common Eider duck.

thnx
F1F3R.

F1F3R said:
hello

can any1 please help me distinguish between a female King Eider and a female Common Eider duck.

thnx
F1F3R.
Saw one once with 3 female common eider. It was obviously smaller with a different head shape - less sloping than common eider on the forehead.

thanx for the reply.

i noticed a few birdwatchers today at leven, fife, and last time im saw them they were watching a king eider duck. ( i personally didnt even know off this type. )

so went home and picked up my camera... when i returned they were gone lol.

so i had a look about and took few pics off a common goldeneye.
then i noticed a diving duck... quite large which made me look more closely at it .

i have a picture but its a terrible quality pic , as it wasnt ideal conditions for a canon 100 - 400 L .. too dark etc . ( plus im a newbi at taking pics which dosn't help lol )

so im sure its either a female Eider duck or female King eider which is rare here .

Yes, King Eider would be less gingery ans probably show a distinct pale splodge above and behind the eye. The bill is also different.

Last edited:
The best way i find female King Eider at distance is small size coupled with distinctive head shape,particuarly usefull when looking into the vast expanse of Aberlady, that is untill the Lothian bird dissapeared.
Closer views, a quick look at the flanks will sort you out, barred as in your photo of Common or chevrons as in King.

thanx for the repiles and helpful information regarding the two birds.

common Eider duck it is then , that probably explains why all the birdwatchers had left :)

F1F3R.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back