• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica tripod adapter (1 Viewer)

John M Robinson

If I want to mount my 8x42 Ultravids on a tripod from time to time, is the Leica plastic plate with rubber strap the best option? I was told about an aftermarket adapter offered by Outdoorsman's, it is a small socket that fits in the front end of the hinge and secures to a tripod via a small pedestal. It would seem to be a lot of torque stress placed at that small front of bin connection. Any other ideas out there?

I was told about an aftermarket adapter offered by Outdoorsman's, it is a small socket that fits in the front end of the hinge and secures to a tripod via a small pedestal. It would seem to be a lot of torque stress placed at that small front of bin connection. Any other ideas out there?

Hello John,

Nikon makes a wrap around leather tripod adaptor, which sells for a lot less than the Leica adaptor. I used it for a rather smaller binocular, so I think that you should either try before buying, or hope that someone with experience with that size glass posts a comment. However, I do agree that the Outdoorsman's unit may put a lot of stress on the binocular and the potential damage may not be covered by the warranty.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

John,
I sometimes use the Leica adapter on a monopod with my 12x45 Zeiss Conquests. It works satisfactorily, does not put any stress on the bins but is rather expensive.
After limited use mine started cracking around the spindle supports on the left hand side.
The replacement from Leica has been reinforced in this area with small triangular lugs.

John

Anyone have any updated insight? I wish to mount a Leica 7x42 Ultravid binoculars on a tripod. Customer reviews on Adorama on the Leica Binocular to Tripod Mount (Product #42220) suggest it is a very bad product. Thanks in advance.

Anyone have any updated insight? I wish to mount a Leica 7x42 Ultravid binoculars on a tripod. Customer reviews on Adorama on the Leica Binocular to Tripod Mount (Product #42220) suggest it is a very bad product. Thanks in advance.

I use the Leica tripod adapter, its expensive to buy, but i dont agree with it being bad whatsoever.
It holds the binocular securely and firmly in place.
You can also mount a variety of other binoculars with the exception of porro's.
Basically it does what its supposed to with the minimum of fuss, if you want one of these i would try and get a pre-owned one...

Hello John,

Nikon makes a wrap around leather tripod adaptor, which sells for a lot less than the Leica adaptor. I used it for a rather smaller binocular, so I think that you should either try before buying, or hope that someone with experience with that size glass posts a comment. However, I do agree that the Outdoorsman's unit may put a lot of stress on the binocular and the potential damage may not be covered by the warranty.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

The 8x42 Ultravids are only about an inch longer than the 8x32s. I had my CZJ 8x50 in the Nikon Binoc-u-mount, and it fit.

In fact, I prefer the Binoc-u-mount for larger format bins rather than midsized bins, because with an 8x32, I ended up "hugging" the tripod. With full sized bins, the EPs stick out a bit so you don't have to get as close.

OTOH, what a birder and his tripod do together is nobody's business but their own (except in Utah :)

Here's the Binoc-u-mount (~$40):
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Binoc-U-Mount-Universal-Tripod-Adapter/dp/B00006LQAI

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back