• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GS Woodpecker - Common Feeding Behaviour? (1 Viewer)

Jaff

Registered Member
Woodpeckers are synonomous with peanut feeders and fatballs, or rather they used to be. Certainly the Woodpecker that visits my garden has of this winter completely forsaken those in favour of sunflower hearts out of my seed feeders and has no problems hanging from the perches on them.

This photo (http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/235377/ppuser/42340) was taken quite some time ago at Martin Mere near by to me and shows this behaviour and the odds of it being the same one that visits my garden now are very long indeed (given the timespan and the distance of at least 2 miles away) so others must have now learned it too. Indeed recent trips to Martin Mere I've seen the Woody doing the same thing as mine in only going for the sunflower hearts and not bothering with peanuts.

I know some of the Woody species across the pond do this too but a even a couple of years ago here I would never have thought of seeing a Woody on a seed feeder. So I find myself wondering is this a regional thing or do Woodies up and down the UK do it, anyone else come across this?

The woodies (Downy, Hairy, Red-bellied Woodpeckers) in our yard seem to prefer nut meats, especially peanuts. But, they will also take suet mixtures and also black oil sunflower seed. The Northern Flickers we have coming to the feeders seem only to take bits of suet, but upon occasion I have seen them get little pieces of nut meats.

We had an adult bird and a bunch of young GSWs on a seedfeeder in Hampshire during the early summer a couple of years ago.... an unforgettable sight.

The GSWs in our garden only feed from the fat balls and peanut holders and never eat the sunflower hearts.

The GSW's (male, female and juvenile) have been at the peanuts, fatballs and seed feeder in my garden. The seed feeder contains a general sort of RSPB "high energy" mix. Messy eaters mind. Make the nuthatches appear very tidy, by comparison.

Thanks for the replies folks, interesting stuff. I wonder if it'll be the same story next winter.

Well the Woodpecker has been back onto the peanut feeder the last few days but that could be becasue I've moved things around a bit and I've only got the one seed feeder out. Or maybe it's related to time of year like in harsh weather they prefer the sunflower hearts as it gives more energy or something. All pure speculation though, no matter how hard I try I can't think like a bird. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back