• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Buzzard Behaviour (1 Viewer)

Digdug

Hi all,
Firstly, to my shame I know next to nothing about birds, but do get a lot of enjoyment from just watching and listening to them.
Which brings me to the reason I have just joined the site....
While out today with my 11 year old daughter Beth on the chalk downs of Salisbury plain, we spotted a Buzzard behaving very oddly, it was gliding in the usual way for 5 or so metres, then it would tuck its wings in and turn upside down whilst emitting a strange howl, after another few metres it would right itself and then repeat the same thing, this went on for around 30 seconds.
Is this common, is this some type of mating ritual, am I imagining things ???
As I said, I know very little about birds, but this was fascinating to see.
Thank you for reading, Steve.

Welcome to Birdforum Steve.. If it was flipping upside down then it was a Raven, same size, somewhat different shape and very different colour.

Cheers,

Andy

Oops !!

Welcome to Birdforum Steve.. If it was flipping upside down then it was a Raven, same size, somewhat different shape and very different colour.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy, thank you for the very quick reply.

Like I said I know little about birds |:$|
So if it was a Raven, why do they do that ?
Regards, Steve.

I'm really not sure but many of the crow family members seem to have a sense of fun - hanging under a wire with one foot, drooping off, returning to the wire and repeating, for instance. In this case it may be a way of showing how clever they are or how strong a flyer they are, possibly as part of some territorial display or pair bonding.

Perhaps someone with better knowledge in this field might chime in with another answer or theory.

EDIT: this is one of those odd bird behaviours that always brings a smile to my face (rare event).

I've just come back from a weeks holiday in south Devon. We watched Ravens doing exactly that. They would fly off over the edge of the sea cliffs, cronking as they went and then fold their wings, turn upside down momentarily and then plunge for 50' or more straight down before flattening out and flying off, still cronking loudly. Cannot help but think they just are having fun.

Dave

I'm not imagining things then....

I've just come back from a weeks holiday in south Devon. We watched Ravens doing exactly that. They would fly off over the edge of the sea cliffs, cronking as they went and then fold their wings, turn upside down momentarily and then plunge for 50' or more straight down before flattening out and flying off, still cronking loudly. Cannot help but think they just are having fun.

Dave
Thanks Dave,
That seems to have clinched it.
Pretty cool behaviour, you would have thought that I would have seen it before.
A really great spectacle to see. |>|

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back