• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Island Barn Reservoir (1 Viewer)

Frost1976

Hi all, what's the deal with getting access to here? I wouldn't mind going to see the Velvet Scoters but some of the sites I've seen say that it's restricted access. Is this the case or, like at Staines, does it have access for people walking past?

Hi all, what's the deal with getting access to here? I wouldn't mind going to see the Velvet Scoters but some of the sites I've seen say that it's restricted access. Is this the case or, like at Staines, does it have access for people walking past?

Dear 'Frost1976'

There is no access to Island Barn at present, but it is possible to view it from the adjacent Molesey Heath (access via Access Rd no less). I wouldn't recommend going early morning as the light can be bad (looking into the sun) and IB does suffer badly from fog when we have clear nights, as we have at the moment. It is possible to get up onto the res sometimes at the weekend as there is a sailing club, although I don't think they sail every weekend at the mo.

Birds still present today, down the east end by the water tower.

Regards
Dave

Dave
thanks so much for getting back to me. I headed over there Sunday morning (I know you emphasised Access, but did you mean Approach Road?) and had a mooch around the moor for a bit. Without a scope, getting decent eyes on the Reservoir was a bit hopeless, but was a pleasant stroll and there were Redpoll and Goldcrest flitting around.

So, I thought I'd give the sailing base at Island Barn a try. I walked up the stairs and at that moment, the two Scoter flew past about 30m in front of me! Could see everything with the naked eye, wing flashes the lot! They circled the reservoir before landing and I was able to pick em out for someone else who turned up.

I didn't have any time to spare and had to dash, but I see there was a Brent Goose there too. Was that one of yours?

The Scoters were my 100 tick for Surrey this year! Not bad for a) my first Surrey list and b) I don't get out birding that often. So quite pleased, but next year I'll try a bit harder!

Dave
thanks so much for getting back to me. I headed over there Sunday morning (I know you emphasised Access, but did you mean Approach Road?) and had a mooch around the moor for a bit. Without a scope, getting decent eyes on the Reservoir was a bit hopeless, but was a pleasant stroll and there were Redpoll and Goldcrest flitting around.

So, I thought I'd give the sailing base at Island Barn a try. I walked up the stairs and at that moment, the two Scoter flew past about 30m in front of me! Could see everything with the naked eye, wing flashes the lot! They circled the reservoir before landing and I was able to pick em out for someone else who turned up.

I didn't have any time to spare and had to dash, but I see there was a Brent Goose there too. Was that one of yours?

The Scoters were my 100 tick for Surrey this year! Not bad for a) my first Surrey list and b) I don't get out birding that often. So quite pleased, but next year I'll try a bit harder!

Glad you connected. The Brent was on the flat grassy area in the SW corner, probably also visible from the heath. Not often they hang around.

Sorry about the mix-up with road names, should know it as I drive past every day.

Cheers
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back