• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing between Danum Valley or Tabin (1 Viewer)

Mr9000

Hi guys (and girls)

In November I have a chance to go birding for 4 days. I will be based in Sandakan so planning on borrowing a 4wd and drive by myself. I am kind of a beginner but I have currently recorded 100 species in Sabah, however still lacking pittas and trogons on my list. Which of the two locations will be most likely to get these families?

Would u recommend getting bird guides in Tabin and Danum?

Kind regards

Jakob

Not sure about Tabin and Danum but you have RDC very close to you which can give you trogons and pittas.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for your reply. I read and have experienced it is quite difficult to get pittas and trogons in RDC but of course I am going to try again and again :)

If you have been to RDC do you have any good advices where to find trogons in RDC. I s it mainly from the canopy or are there any good trails where trogons tend to be?

Cheers

Jakob

Hi Jakob,

Pittas are difficult everywhere! I am sure others have more experience to share, but for me the Kingfisher trail was the most productive for Trogons.

Cheers

Dave

That sounds great. What kind of Trogons did you see Dave? As it is only half a kilometer long I can walk it many times during a day. I think I am going to stick at kingfisher trail and the wonderful canopy boardwalk there.

Thanks again Dave.

Danum is superior to Tabin for birds and mammals, though far more expensive. At BRL you get a guide as part of the deal (for extra cost you can specify a bird guide) You can't take your 4x4 to Danum but have to leave it in Lahad Datu from where you are driven in.

That sounds great. What kind of Trogons did you see Dave? As it is only half a kilometer long I can walk it many times during a day. I think I am going to stick at kingfisher trail and the wonderful canopy boardwalk there.

Thanks again Dave.

I have had Red-naped and Diard's Trogon (although this one was photographed from Broadbill Tower). Tha canopy walkway is good...but look for the Trogons below you as they tend not to perch so high up - the ones I have seen have usually been 10 to 30ft from the ground. Again other people may have a different experience!

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Diard's Trogon 2.jpg
    Diard's Trogon 2.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Red-naped Trogon.jpg
    Red-naped Trogon.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 102
To experience lush rainforest, Danum is the one. But you will struggle with photography here because of the less light in the trails and dense forest. Tabin is better for bird photography because of the mixture between secondary forest and plantation. I found that for night drive, sighting is excellent than Danum.

I see more birds at Tabin than Danum too within the duration of 4-5 days :D

Just came back from Sabah and got both pittas and trogons at kinabatangan river... mind you I have been there many times without the same luck :)

Being with a good birding guide can boost you species count dramatically...
roughly 145species in the 2 weeks I spend there this time around... come march I will be back again

If you do go to Danum try to see if you can stay at RDC ( ask at Sabah Forestry in KK if they have room ). I've had Blue-headed, Black-headed ( Garnet ) and Bornean Banded on the East Trail, Nature Trail and at the rear of the headquaters and Giant Pitta on the Waterfall Trail.

Chris

Chris, are you talking about DVFC, Danum Valley Field Centre?
Cos i thought RDC was the Rainforest Discovery Centre in Sepilok?

all these acronyms are getting a bit confusing now, someone on another thread was talking about BRL being in the kinabatangan (Bilit rainforest lodge?).

still it does make typing a bit faster :)

james

Chris, are you talking about DVFC, Danum Valley Field Centre?
Cos i thought RDC was the Rainforest Discovery Centre in Sepilok?

all these acronyms are getting a bit confusing now, someone on another thread was talking about BRL being in the kinabatangan (Bilit rainforest lodge?).

still it does make typing a bit faster :)

james

Sorry. I did mean DVFC ( I can only blame it on brain death - caused by being dragged around the shops all day. Bah, humbug :-C )

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back