• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tipping guides in Sabah (1 Viewer)

Alf King

We are visiting Sabah in May on a tour where we will be using different local guides at each place that we visit. Generally when using local guides I would expect to give a tip for good services rendered and expected the same here. However, on another forum I have read that tipping is definitely not a part of the culture in Sabah, so I am concerned that I might conflict with common practice or even insult someone.

Could anyone with experience of the area offer me some guidance please?

Is tipping expected and acceptable? If so, how much is reasonable (I usually factor in $10 pd)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

It is so difficult with tipping, especially if you are from a place with no culture for tipping... Here in Denmark noone would expect tips and we expect people to get covered by their salaries - other places people are depending highly on tips

I would definately give tips to the guides, and they do expect it. All depending on the guide and the service they provide and of course the size of your group. I would say 10-30myr a day pr person. You could tell the guides that their tips will depend on what you see:)

When I am in Sabah with groups (Usually 10-20 non birders) I will give the guides 100myr or more pr day.
A nice piece of kit like a birdingbook or a nice rainponcho could also be of value to some guides or boatman on a rivercruise if you are going to do a few days on Kinabatangan... many sabah birdguides will allready have that and a top bino around their neck :D

Oooh yeah... just returned back from sabah this morning, and was lucky to be with great birders there and had some amazing observations..

Whiteheads Trogon and Whiteheads Broadbill within 30min on the same track :D
Bornean ground cuckoo, whitecrowned Hornbill, Large frogmouth within 24hrs on kinabatangan river :D Managed to get 7/8 Hornbills, missing helmeted this time around

Thanks Kurakura, that is very helpful. There will just be the two of us so If I factor in 3--40 myr per day that should be OK.

We're looking forward to seeing some great birds too!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back