• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Starling/Myna ID Bangladesh (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
I got the pictures of this bird in Dhaka, Bangladesh in August 2018, and I think it is in the starling family probably a juvenile. I checked all the common starling/myna juveniles and none of them really looked like this. I'm probably missing something obvious, but I'm not sure what this is. Sorry for the terrible quality pictures, it was quite a ways away. I would appreciate any help.

Attachments

• P1020276 (2).jpg
    P1020276 (2).jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 63
  • P1020278 (2).jpg
    P1020278 (2).jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 51
The colors don't look quite like a normal juvenile Asian Pied Starling, though it could have some color mutations. I agree that a Juvenile Brahminy Starling looks a bit closer to right but still not quite right.

Talked with Sayam Chowdhury and he said that this is a partially leucistic Jungle Myna.

Surely a leucistic bird wouldn't have lost the white wing patch (PP coverts and PP bases) and white "corners" of the tail?
Structurally it looks to me like one (or a hybrid of) of the starlings, not a myna.

Surely a leucistic bird wouldn't have lost the white wing patch (PP coverts and PP bases) and white "corners" of the tail?
Structurally it looks to me like one (or a hybrid of) of the starlings, not a myna.

I had wondered about that, but since Chowdhury is the top birder in BD I assumed he would be right. My pictures are pretty bad, so maybe that's part of the problem. As a beginning birder this bird had/has me confused.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back