• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid or Nikon HG (1 Viewer)

lsj

Hello people, after extensive research i cannot decide between these two compacts.
I have just sold a pair of Opticrons, and i am looking for a nice compact glass (8x20 or 10x25) that shall be my only pair of bins for travel etc.... for now anyway.
Ive plucked for 10s over 8s for extra detail, and ive narrowed it down to the ultravid 10x25 for a little over 400, or the Nikon HG 10x25 for around 250.
From the reviews ive read, im swaying towards the Nikons, and they are considerably less, but never tried them. Ive tried the ultravids and the trinovids and found them to be both amazing in detail and colour.
Can anyone tip the balance for me, bearing in mind they shall be my only bin. Thanks Lee.:t:

Last edited:
Hello people, after extensive research i cannot decide between these two compacts.
I have just sold a pair of Opticrons, and i am looking for a nice compact glass (8x20 or 10x25) that shall be my only pair of bins for travel etc.... for now anyway.
Ive plucked for 10s over 8s for extra detail, and ive narrowed it down to the ultravid 10x25 for a little over 400, or the Nikon HG 10x25 for around 250.
From the reviews ive read, im swaying towards the Nikons, and they are considerably less, but never tried them. Ive tried the ultravids and the trinovids and found them to be both amazing in detail and colour.
Can anyone tip the balance for me, bearing in mind they shall be my only bin. Thanks Lee.:t:
The Alula review ranked the 8x20 versions equal. I've tried both 8x20s and I much preferred the Nikon, though others will certainly disagree. The Nikon also looks like a reasonable price, whereas the Leica looks overpriced. The 10x25s seem to be pretty well-matched too, the only thing splitting them is that the Nikon has the better FOV. Personally, I would think the 8x20 version of both would be so much nicer to use.

Michael

Hello Isj,
I have the Nikon 10x25 and Leica 8x20 Ultravid. Optics wise they are both wonderful. However, ignoring magnification, I prefer the Leica Ultravid because of the normal position of its focus knob. I focus the Leica with my right index finger. With the Nikon, I must use my right middle finger and the finger to its right. Its more awkward but then again if you use it all the time, I suppose you will get comfortable with it.
Jim

Thanks Jimtrader11.
I have opted for the Nikons. It was the focus knob that was a deciding factor out of the two for me aswell. I dont suppose it will be a problem, more a case of getting used to it. Thanks again. Lee.

Both are great

I have been using the use the Ultravid 10x25 (for about 3 years) my significant other uses the Nikon 10x25 (for about 2.5 years). They are both the best picks I have seen in that size.

I think the Nikon has a few percent better image on color in low light. That lead would be less than 3 or 4 percent in my viewing. They also feel easier on my eyes when I view through them.

I think the Leica has about a 4 percent better image in back lit situations and a slightly more compact size.

You can not go wrong with either. The front focus vs. rear focus seemed like a big decision point when we purchased but in the field it is a non issue for us. Do not let the lower price of the Nikon be a concern. The Nikon provides equivelent performance and quality when compared to the Leica (in my opinion).

Build quality is excellent on both. We carry these binoculars constantly and they are a pleasure to have along They are rugged enough for daily use and travel. We carried these binoculars on bicycle for thousands of miles and they have been with us on many backpacking trips. They also spend many days in my brief case and pocket.

We are equally happy with both. I prefer the Leica and my girlfriend prefers the Nikon. (due to our egos rather than any shortcomings.)

Leica comes with a nylon case and Nikon comes with leather case that might seem larger than necessary if your on a bicycle or backpacking. But that is easy to solve with a nylon case if you feel the need.

If you are able to find anything else on this planet that can be purchased and will provide more enjoyment than these wonderful small, high quality binoculars - please do let me know!

Last edited:
Thanks TVC15.
Ordered the Nikons yesterday. Hope they serve me well for travelling, birding etc. Looks like its a little genie of a compact glass, will let you know how i get on with them. Thanks again. Lee

Good Decision

That’s great news Lee.

Now you can bird and have fun where ever you go. Birding while waiting for a bus, (or other modern time wasters), changes the event into a nature outing!

They should arrive just in time for the spring migration.

Enjoy those twist up eye cups (which I really like)! The Leica has slide up eye cups.

Good birding.
TVC

Attachments

• IMG_6259.JPG
    IMG_6259.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_6263.JPG
    IMG_6263.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,041
  • IMG_8059.JPG
    IMG_8059.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 1,169
  • IMG_8079.JPG
    IMG_8079.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 683
Last edited:
Well after a few outings with the HGLs, i was very impressed.
Plus points for me were:
The weight, bridge and focus knob.
Being 10X bins the wide bridge and a nice weighty feel helped keep the bins steady and felt very comfortable to hold. For me the focus knob position at the objective end is definately a plus point, it allows for a steady grip whilst being able to focus at the same time, even with one hand.
The optics are simply the best ive experienced in ANY compact glass, sharp, bright and clear right to the edge of field, nice depth and a feeling of actually 'being there'.
The FOV is also very impressive for a compact.
The price was also a definate plus point.( although ive seen a pair on China fleabay for sale for over 800 GBP!! )
The multi point rubber twist eye cups are brlliant too, and very comfortable.
The only negative point for me was the way they hang when not being used, they sort of swing and dig into my chest but its only a minor quibble.
On my first outing i was able to id Canadian geese and a group of Wigeons from around 200 yds with ease.
All in all im glad i went with the HGLs over the Ultras, i just love everything about them, and will be looking forward to many future outings.
Thanks again to everyone for your help and advice. Lee:t:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back