• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Natural History of Warwickshire: Fauna & Flora (2 Viewers)

Butterflies at Sutton Park, there would be no more species than your local patch except for Green Hairstreak, however Green Hairstreak is very sparse at Sutton Park and difficult to see, Small Heath is widespread in the heathland areas.
Local species of moths, Emperor, Oak eggar, Fox moth, Grass wave and Common Heath are present and nowhere else in Warwickshire would you get this combination of species.

Regards, John

Fungi

Coming up in force now with Pleated Inkcap, Yellow Staghorn and Shaggy Parasol seen today.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 004#050.jpg
    004#050.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 55
  • 017#026.jpg
    017#026.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 011#033.jpg
    011#033.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 52
Moths

Now winter is on it's way moth numbers have dropped greatly however there are still some interesting moths about, trapping Hartshill 27/9/11 Blairs's Shoulder-knot new to Britain and Warwicksire helped by cultivers, their food plant mainly Monterey, Lawson' and Leyland Cypress.
Also Tuesday evening Barred Sallow and Merveille du jour.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 025#017.jpg
    025#017.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 005#054.jpg
    005#054.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 027#013.jpg
    027#013.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Late September and early October warm period there are many insects about still, late flowering Ivy full of Wasp and hoverfly species with also Red Admiral. Common Darter still in number and Migrant Hawker being seen yesterday.

Regards, John

Last Days of Summer

Red Admirals, 12 seen today nectaring on Ivy flower at 2 different sites, all looked well, however they are in a precarious position they have not migrated south like other Red Admirals, if they stay and hibernate a winter like the last two they would not survive and we will have to wait until late Spring for migrants to arrive from the continent.
Also seen today 2 Small Copper and 2 worn Speckled Wood all Red Admirals seen were in nice condition.
Also seen today 6 Common Darter and a migrant Hawker.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 020#026.jpg
    020#026.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 023#017.jpg
    023#017.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 012#025.jpg
    012#025.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
17/10/11 I Found a Peacock butterfly hibernating in my garage today at Hartshill, it appears they go into hibernation before Red Admirals and they can withstand colder temperatures in winter to emerge again in Spring, cold winters will kill Red Admiral's in hibernation.

Regards, John

Fungi, Sutton Park

Tuesday at Sutton Park (25/10/11) a number of Fungi seen in a birch heathland area with 3 types present Bolete (pores under cap rather than gills), gilled fungi and bracket type.
Pictures representing these 3 types seen Pores, Probably a Bitter Bolete, gilled Birch Knight and Bracket, Blushing Bracket.

Regards,

John

Attachments

• 002#048.jpg
    002#048.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 004#054.jpg
    004#054.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 017#028.jpg
    017#028.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 47
Orange Birch Bolete

Orange Birch Bolete Sutton Park much eaten by slugs showing the pore structure underneath the cap.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 022#017.jpg
    022#017.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 024#023.jpg
    024#023.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 44
Butterflies & Moths

I saw a Red Admiral yesterday at Baddesley old pit site, although now you will be lucky to see a Butterfly or Dragonfly until next Spring.
However the moths continue with Juniper Carpet, micro moth Diamond- Back moth and Yellow-lined Quaker in my trap last night. Conditions becomimg difficult for moths now, the bonus is no bats about.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 004#056.jpg
    004#056.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 006#038.jpg
    006#038.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 009#044.jpg
    009#044.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 40
Moths

Garden moth trapping numbers have dropped off with my last species Feathered Thorn on the 10/11/11 picture below. Your chances of catching moths this time of year is better if you live next to woodland. However I don't, but with torch and net this evening in local woodland I caught
Winter moth 1
Scarce Umber 1
Mottled Umber 1
Then released them, the moths taking advantage of the warmer conditions before the temperatures drop off tonight.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 001#052.jpg
    001#052.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 33
Dragonfly County Record 25/11/11

Yesterday a Naturalist Mark Whittle from Keresley, Coventry found a large Dragonfly on the pavement near his house in a moirbund state whilst taking his dog for a walk. He contacted the Warwickshire Dragonfly recorder that day, Peter Reeve who visited Mark and collected the now dead dragonfly, said this was a vagrant Emperor and a new Warwickshire County record. Details on the website Warwickshire Dragonfly Group under News.
This is the second Dragonfly County Record for Warwickshire this year, earlier in the year Birdwatcher Mike Inskip found a Lesser Emperor.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Moths

1/12/11 Setting the moth trap last night a single moth was in the trap this morning, a Winter moth.
A species with the male in flight from late October to January the female being wingless and unable to fly.
This is usually the moth seen whilst driving your car in winter after dark, the moth being attracted to the car headlights and therefore must have a high mortality near roads.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 003#056.jpg
    003#056.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Fungi

Still plenty of fungi around with Sulpher Tuft, Candle Snuff and Glistening Inkcap (over ripe) seen recently.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 010#039.jpg
    010#039.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 003#057.jpg
    003#057.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 002#047.jpg
    002#047.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 41
Due to the dry summer and Autumn many smaller pools frequented by breeding Amphibians are either very low or completely dried up which could be a disaster for breeding Amphibians this Spring if rainfall does not increase shortley.

Regards, John

Coton lakes 20th and 21st December Alan Dean saw a single bat one on both evenings after returning from the hide.
Noted in the Collins mammal guide Pipestrelle can fly and feed November/December and also may do so all winter.

Regards, John

Flower Records

Having sent my Flower records for 2011 into the Warwickshite Flower recorder John Walton, I had a reply saying, was I sure about the Marsh Speedwell as this has not been recorded on Sutton Park for 17 years despite a lot of searching by local Botanists for the The New Birmingham flora guide.
At the time last summer I had taken pictures of the Marsh Speedwell in one area, concerning 3 different plants, see below and had them identified.
So never take for granted that an area that has been surveyed does not contain species not recorded.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 016#030.jpg
    016#030.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 38
  • 018#019.jpg
    018#019.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Moths

Macro-moths recorded in January so far by Warwickshire moth trappers.

Winter Moth
Chestnut
Satellite
Mottled Umber
Early Moth
Spring Usher
Pale Brindled Beauty
Bright-Line Browneye, Flight usually May to early Sepetember caught in a warmer spell. Caterpillars can make use of Tomatoe plants in green houses.
The best trap areas were next to a railway and under a Oak tree in a garden.

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back