• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old non AF lenses on K200 (1 Viewer)

Wildmoreway

Just wondering if an old Pentax non af 50 mm PK bayonet lens will actually stop down to whatever aparture I set the lens to when attached to a K200?

Thanks

I have done this with mine, and it does seem to work. I have an old 50mm F1.7 from my ancient ME Super, and it works well. I think you can also set it to auto, and then it will use what ever aperture you set manually, but you might want to check that as it is a while since I have tried it.

Good luck!

Richard

They work perfectly...For the non AF lenses,the "A" series lenses work in all modes..PK lenses have to be used in M mode with the famous "GREEN BUTTON" push to measure and stop down...

They work perfectly...For the non AF lenses,the "A" series lenses work in all modes..PK lenses have to be used in M mode with the famous "GREEN BUTTON" push to measure and stop down...

Which, for birding, has become my preferred way of working even with 'A' of 'F' lenses. Just love those old lenses :eat:

Shot predominatly pentax since mid 70's.When switch to digital was made 6 years ago,having enough K,M,and A series glass made transition to pentax DSLR requesite.Pentax maintaining backward compatability means a lot to me,amazing statement of good faith on their part.Been some hiccups recently along corporate lines.With announcement of new bodies still having K mount and green button compatability,believe commitment to customer base reaffirmed.Love shooting old glass,insects come out shortly I'll slap on K200/2.5 with extension tubes, just get lost in the "itsy bitsy" stuff.Cant help but be more than interested in pentax return to "big glass class" and annoucement of DA 560mm F/5.6 super telephoto lens.

Last edited:
It's a a common misconception that old lenses wont stop down on modern DSLRs, but the stop down mechanism is still there, even modern lenses stop down via a mechanical linkage from the camera body when the shutter fires.
The so called "crippled" mount on modern bodies are missing a second mechanical link to the lens which used to register what aperture the lens was set to, this was done away with to reduce production costs and of course it was largely no longer needed as anything from a KA lens onwards would transfer aperture settings to the body electronically. Hence the reason that manual lenses need the camera to take a meter reading before exposure by manually stopping down the lens via the green button.

If you own or can get your hands on an older film body take a look inside the mount, on the left there is the stop down lever and on the top right is another lever which would penetrate into the lens and register the aperture setting.

Long live the K mount|=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back