• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A compact Red Kite....NE.London. (1 Viewer)

KenM

This morning a rather ''compact'' dark looking Red Kite (believe the tail is too forked for Black), flew over, not much bigger than the accompanying Herring Gulls. Thought these images might be of interest? regarding size and tonal value, I've not seen one this small or dark before.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1860663.jpeg   Kite and H.Gulls.jpeg
    P1860663.jpeg Kite and H.Gulls.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 91
  • P1860664.jpeg  Kite and H.Gull 2..jpeg
    P1860664.jpeg Kite and H.Gull 2..jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 85
  • P1860666.jpeg   Kite H.Gull 3..jpeg
    P1860666.jpeg Kite H.Gull 3..jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 33
  • P1860668.jpeg   Kite H.Gull 4..jpeg
    P1860668.jpeg Kite H.Gull 4..jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 35
  • P1860674.jpeg   Kite H.Gulls 5..jpeg
    P1860674.jpeg Kite H.Gulls 5..jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 74
so quite normal sized and colored....

...Looked compact and smaller to me, compared to the Kites I see locally, which normally don’t appear till late March, granted I don’t see that many...perhaps 3-4 per annum locally, didn’t look particularly bright either, thus assumed it was an immature towards the smaller end of the spectrum.

Is it maybe because we assume Buzzards to be bigger than Herring Gulls (so a Red Kite should appear even bigger), but actually they aren't particularly (in wingspan at least).

An interesting observation today - saw a white and a dark Feral Pigeon together in flight - the white appeared tiny, even though they were approx the same size.

Is it maybe because we assume Buzzards to be bigger than Herring Gulls (so a Red Kite should appear even bigger), but actually they aren't particularly (in wingspan at least).

An interesting observation today - saw a white and a dark Feral Pigeon together in flight - the white appeared tiny, even though they were approx the same size.

Normally pale colours make things look bigger...so the wife says. :eek!:

Looks fine for Red Kite to me too, I have seen them soaring among gulls in Leeds and the size comparison to HG looks quite normal.

To date apart from the gulls today, I’ve only seen Red Kite soaring with Corvid, Buzzard and once with Goshawk, and to my eye they always seemed Bigger, ie much longer winged, whether this was actual RK size differential or the birds at “full stretch” I can’t say.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back