• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hard case for 8x42 Trinovid? (1 Viewer)

etc

Is there a better case for 8x42 Trinovid?

This thread below talks about a soft case for 8x32, but it appears to be soft and still marginally better than the original thin leather case, which doesn't protect against anything other than dust maybe.
I really liked the hard case I had with an old Carl Zeiss. That was really something. The Trinovid deserves something at least as good.

Plus, I would like to fit it into the case with the eye relief protectors extended.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=47522&highlight=CAse

Cabelas sells 3 sizes of leather binocular cases for compact, medium and large binoculars.
The medium fits my 7 x 42 Trinovid BN comfortably with the eyecups extended. The fit is slightly loose, the bins go in and out of it easily. It is made of a thick cordovan like leather and is rather attractive. Price was about $45. The cover snaps onto the body with a slit leather tab over a brass post. It opens and closes very quickly; no buckle to fool around with. The interior is unlined.

Duluth Pack sells some nice cases that can be used for binoculars. See www.duluthpack.com and check out their Mini Haversacks and Shell Bags. I use the Mini Haversack for my Nikon 10 x 42 SE. It also will accommodate a bird guide, notebook, pen, small flashlight, scout knife and a couple of folded maps.

Cordially,
Bob

etc said:

This thread below talks about a soft case for 8x32, but it appears to be soft and still marginally better than the original thin leather case, which doesn't protect against anything other than dust maybe.
I really liked the hard case I had with an old Carl Zeiss. That was really something. The Trinovid deserves something at least as good.

Plus, I would like to fit it into the case with the eye relief protectors extended.

Leica does produce and sell proper hard cases.

See for instance under:

http://www.waffen-rech.de/Fernglaeser.htm

scroll down to the Leica section,
look for

KOECHER F: TRINOVID X 42
KOECHER F: TRINOVID X 32

Only drawback: the "normal Leica prices".

Cheers,
Thomas

The case that comes with the zeiss fl's is probably the best there is?

I think you can buy them as an aftermarket accessory, because the fl's are very long you would have no problem with the trinovids with the eyecups extended.Might be a bit pricey though?

You can find them on the zeiss website, a dealer would probably have to order one for you.

Matt

Attachments

• zeissflcase2.jpg
    zeissflcase2.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
I've found the Lowepro Sliplock 60 AW to be the perfect storage/carry around case....Trinovids fit in with adequate room for the thick neoprene neck strap, eyecups up & eyepiece cover on....the case is nicely padded so provides better protection than the standard Leica leather or cordura case. Another plus is that it's all-weather....and very well priced....got mine from 7dayshop.com for £14.99 each....check link below.....

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=100496

Cheers,

Mook.

etc said:

I have tried alot of different cases and these Tamrac cases are the BEST. Thickly padded with easy access for your binoculars. I have Leica 7x42 BN's and they fit great with plenty of room for the strap on the side. They are better than the leather cases because they are padded so well. The ONLY place you can get them right now because Tamrac has quit making them is E Bay UK. With shipping they are less than $15.00 US. It takes less than 7 days to ship it and I will guarantee you you will think it is the best binocular case you have ever tried. Here is the link to the auction on E Bay UK:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TAMRAC-WEATHE...9QQihZ009QQcategoryZ10955QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dennis

Are there any places in US where one can get Tamrac cases?

Or "Lowepro's most compact Street and Field add-on padded pouch" (Lowepro Sliplock 60 AW )

etc said:
Are there any places in US where one can get Tamrac cases?

Or "Lowepro's most compact Street and Field add-on padded pouch" (Lowepro Sliplock 60 AW )

No. This dealer in the UK must have bought a closeout of them before Tamrac quit making them and is selling them on E bay. Order one and you will be amazed how easy and quick you get it. Their the best!

Dennis

Would the case that comes with 8x42 Ultravid be a good fit for the 8x42 Trinovid?
I don't know what your present case is like but my ex demo 8x32 Trinovid came with a brand new padded fabric case similar to the Zeiss one which Matt Green posted earlier in this thread. It doesn't have a strap though, although it has attachment points for one. I don't know if Leica changed to this from the earlier awkward leather version which was supplied with the original BNs or if they have substituted an Ultravid case. Does anyone have any pictures of the standard Ultravid case?

Edit. I've a found a pdf brochure of the entire Leica optics range and it has a photo of the Ultravid case. It looks the same as the one I've got with my Trinovids.

Ron

Last edited:
crumpler bag

Check Crumpler at www.crumplerbags.com
The model I got for the 8x32 Trinovids is called a 'pretty boy 650 (s)'.
There is a small pocket on the front where I have been able to keep a blower , brush and lens cloth , very handy.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back