• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Birding (1 Viewer)

It's in its new slot... I hope people will post in it from time to time.

Goosanders at Painshill Lake have now increased to 17 incl 12 drakes.

The Rookery at Polesden Lacey was just getting active again on Saturday. BTW If anyone has trouble finding Marsh Tit, they are an absolute banker at Ranmore Common nearby.

There used to be a Rookery near Brooklands, between Byfleet and New Haw (can't be many Rookeries inside the M25). You could see the birds on lampposts in Tesco car park or foraging in the grassy bits in the centre of Brooklands. The nests were in trees in Oyster Lane. This seems to have disappeared now - I don't recall seeing any Rooks for about 5 years or so.
I'm guessing that it relocated nearby and they forage elsewhere, maybe to the other side of the M25?

The Rookery at Polesden Lacey was just getting active again on Saturday. BTW If anyone has trouble finding Marsh Tit, they are an absolute banker at Ranmore Common nearby.

There used to be a Rookery near Brooklands, between Byfleet and New Haw (can't be many Rookeries inside the M25). You could see the birds on lampposts in Tesco car park or foraging in the grassy bits in the centre of Brooklands. The nests were in trees in Oyster Lane. This seems to have disappeared now - I don't recall seeing any Rooks for about 5 years or so.
I'm guessing that it relocated nearby and they forage elsewhere, maybe to the other side of the M25?

Yes, I go to Ranmore Common quite a lot, Marsh Tits are often the most common tit around.

Rooks started breeding in Beddington Park a couple of years ago but not last year. They still get on the landfill at Beddington in small numbers so may do so again some time.

The River Mole flooded into Painshill lake yesterday and has turned the normally clear water thick with mud. The Goosanders appeared to have left, however there were two drakes back this afternoon, but there must be almost zero visibility under water. They weren't doing any fishing.

Last edited:
Several Rooks were present in Tesco CP, Brooklands today. In fact it looked very like they were considering nesting on the very tall clustered lighting pylons - each one had a pair of Rooks "occupying" it.

Also: Pair of Egyptian Geese with 2 tiny young at Painshill Lake, Cobham.

No sign of the Shrike at Thursley this morning although I was told that it was around early on before flying towards Hankley. Other sightings included 3 Buzzards, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Reed Bunting, Woodlark, Lesser Redpoll, Green & Great Spotted Woodpeckers.

John.

Now I (The Devil Bird0 am under the name of DCampbell because I have been unable to log in for some reason and birdforum ignored my request for help to log in.

Every day apart from Thursday this week I have been going to Banstead Downs, which is across the road from my house (you can see it from our place!) and the highlights so far have been Goldcrest, Green Woodpecker and Bullfinch.
I know that you get Firecrest, Little Owl, Lesser Whitethroat, Dartford Warbler (!), Yellowhammer, Woodcock, Woodlark and Skylark there as well as many Warblers.
I am definitely going there more often!

David

I have regularly seen Wood Warbler at the Devils Punch bowl at the viewpoint behind the cafe. You will hear them before you see them but patience will give you good views of this bird.

I had Marsh tit at Ranmore today.

Regards

Kevin

David

I have regularly seen Wood Warbler at the Devils Punch bowl at the viewpoint behind the cafe. You will hear them before you see them but patience will give you good views of this bird.

I had Marsh tit at Ranmore today.

Regards

Kevin

Well done on the Marsh Tit at Ranmore Kev, glad they are still around.

Paul

Cheers, third Surrey VC tick of the year. I like the idea of local birding (Beyond Beddington Farm) No sitting in traffic jams for hours as I did for the White Crowned Sparrow.. I suppose my carbon footprint will improve as well!

Regards

Kevin

I had a Marsh Tit today at Ranmoor Common - thanks for the pointer. Overall Ranmoor Common doesn't seem to have a lot of birdlife. A number of blue tits and great tits, but just before leaving had the MT and in same tree there was a Treecreeper - and a couple of minutes later had a Nuthatch.

- Dave.

RE: Wood Warblers, I have found a site for them. Apparently you get them on passage just across the road... haha I'm gonna be there a lot this spring.

Spent a couple of hours at Thursley on Tuesday. Two Woodlark on the burnt area, which was a little disappointing, there's room for two hundred. Otherwise really cold, bleak and miserable. A couple of Stonechats and a couple of distant Buzzards, plus the Great Grey Shrike apparently still present (didn't see it).

5 singing Willow Warblers and 5 singing Chiffchaffs at Banstead Downs this morning, plus a male Blackcap in my garden which is basically next to it.

A lot of migrants coming in at the moment. The grasshopper warbler at barnes look interesting. I think they'll have past through in a day or two.

Just finished a new project. Click here.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back