• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Birding (1 Viewer)

I was able to follow them for about 20 minutes and they were feeding actively, but as is normally the way with Crossbills, eventually they flew off and I lost them. There's no shortage of suitable habitat round there and they make plenty of noise as they fly round so it's quite possible that they could be refound. They were quite mobile but not particularly shy when settled so I might try and get some better photos at the weekend (especially if they get reported again!)

Firecrest singing, Ranmore Common on Saturday in tall alien conifer resembling a Yew, maybe Douglas fir or Western Hemlock, also in Oaks nearby. Couldn't see it though - frustrating!

Approx TQ132507 on bridle path between Yew Tree Farm and the Scout camp. (not the hard forest road - it diverges south west from the forest road)

Had Woodlark, at least 5 Dartford Warbler and a Cuckoo calling at Thursley today. No Redstarts, though the only likely habitat I searched for them in was the woods around the cricet pitch, had no idea where this car park is where you are meant to see them. Could anyone offer any likley spots for Redstart there? Also, I need sites for Tree Pipit in Surrey.
thanks,
David

David,

You're better off parking at the Moat which is off the Thursley Road driving from Elstead. From the car park head across the boardwalk over the bog & turn right at the end of the boardwalk. You will walk through a small island of pines, Redstarts can be seen here or continue on & at the end of that path turn left. You will walk through another avenue of pines, this is another good area for Redstarts & Tree Pipits. Past the Pines you will see a footpath that goes over the hill, (Shrike Hill), Redstarts can also be found here. I think that should be enough for you to be going on with, bear in mind that the birds may not be singing at this stage having already mated & in the process of raising young.

Cheers,

John.

Firecrest singing, Ranmore Common on Saturday in tall alien conifer resembling a Yew, maybe Douglas fir or Western Hemlock, also in Oaks nearby. Couldn't see it though - frustrating!

Approx TQ132507 on bridle path between Yew Tree Farm and the Scout camp. (not the hard forest road - it diverges south west from the forest road)

Four Dartford Warblers at Chobham today as well. Also at least 3 Garden Warblers singing in the trees by the car park if anyone needs them for their 2008 list.

Had Woodlark, at least 5 Dartford Warbler and a Cuckoo calling at Thursley today. No Redstarts, though the only likely habitat I searched for them in was the woods around the cricet pitch, had no idea where this car park is where you are meant to see them. Could anyone offer any likley spots for Redstart there? Also, I need sites for Tree Pipit in Surrey.
thanks,
David

Hi David,
I saw a few tree pipits last weekend at frensham Little Pond - on the walk from the small car park / layby through to the Pond.
Cheers,
Chris

ash ranges

I have just found this thread so sorry for late reply. I find the best access point to Ash Ranges is the bridge hill entrance on the road between Mytchett and Brookwood the flags are normlly down in the evenings but often later than 4.30 I think they might start taking the flags down at 4.30 but its a long way round. I visited last week and heard at least 2 nightjars and saw one. The flags are also quite often down on bank holidays and I had a good day on the 4th of May seeing a male Redstart near to bridge hill plus good views of 2 Cuckoos, a Wheatear, Dartfords, Tree Pipets and Woodlark.

A couple of nights ago had fantastic views of Nightjar at Chobham + loads of Woodcock.
Thanks for the advice epsomsalt and JohnnyH- I will give it a go in a couple of weeks.

hi David,

Just had a look at your new website -coming along very nicely! If you are still looking to find a Mandarin a short trip to epsom Common might be worthwhile - there were a couple there the week before last - on the first (smaller) pond.

Cheers,
Chris

Has anyone here spent time at Limpsfield Common/the High Chart? I understand it's one of the few places near me where nightjar can be found (although I guess it may be getting a little late in the year to see them now, perhaps?) Would be interested in knowing if anyone has ever seen them there recently and, if so, what locations are best.

Was on holiday near Minsmere last week and went on a guided walk to find them. Heard lots but didn't see any: I think it's just served to whet my appetite!

Thanks

David

Hi, David,
I used to live near Oxted and we used to see nightjar on the High Chart each spring. Unfortunately the trees have grown much taller there now and I don't think they've been there for about four years.
Paine's Hill, just over the border in Kent, used to be a good spot.
If I were you I would contact the East Surrey RSPB group. There are several top birders among them and they know the area like nobody else.
I'm sure you know Bill Oddie's trick of waving a couple of white handkerchiefs around your head to attract the nightjars?
I've twice been lucky enough to accidentally flush one in daylight but that is only likely to happen in prime habitat such as Ashdown Forest or the New Forest or Thursley or Frensham.
HTH
Ken

Hi, David,
I used to live near Oxted and we used to see nightjar on the High Chart each spring. Unfortunately the trees have grown much taller there now and I don't think they've been there for about four years.
Paine's Hill, just over the border in Kent, used to be a good spot.
If I were you I would contact the East Surrey RSPB group. There are several top birders among them and they know the area like nobody else.
I'm sure you know Bill Oddie's trick of waving a couple of white handkerchiefs around your head to attract the nightjars?
I've twice been lucky enough to accidentally flush one in daylight but that is only likely to happen in prime habitat such as Ashdown Forest or the New Forest or Thursley or Frensham.
HTH
Ken

Chobham common has reasonable numbers; but it is getting very late, and they will have young, so may be best to leave it until early June next year...

Thanks Ken and Paul. The East Surrey RSPB group sounds like a very good idea - I'll definitely check it out. I've just ordered the Birds of Surrey book too: hopefully this will have lots of up to date locations for the many birds I have yet to see!

David

Thanks Ken and Paul. The East Surrey RSPB group sounds like a very good idea - I'll definitely check it out. I've just ordered the Birds of Surrey book too: hopefully this will have lots of up to date locations for the many birds I have yet to see!

David

It's a great book - almost too much info!!
Ken

It's a great book - almost too much info!!
Ken

It certainly is an interesting and informative read but I must say that I find the inclusion of bird records from outside the Watsonian Vice County (Spelthorne), irritating and, in some cases, confusing. As with all monumental works, there are other problems (such as the out of date atlas maps), but, all in all, if you're a Surrey birder or interested in Surrey birds, you shouldn't be without a copy

Kind regards

Johnny Allan

Biologically speaking, I agree. VC17 is what I count for my Surrey list.
I feel guilty using 'Surreybirder' now that other Surrey birders have joined Birdforum! There were only a few thousand members when I joined and it seemed more appropriate then! Perhaps I should get it changed to Lingfield Birder ;)
Ken

1 probable Crossbill seen briefly and heard calling at Nonsuch Park yesterday also 1 Hobby and 1 Common Gull (adult summer) there.
Green Woodpecker families showing well as usual and a male Sparrowhawk flushed about 30 Ring-necked Parakeets which then flew round and round screeching for about 10 minutes. 2+ juvenile Sparrowhawks in the wood- still slightly downy.
Peregrine has been regular again at the Reed Building, Sutton this week.
I'm heading out to check for the Crossbill again now, but it probably won't be there.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back