• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cayo Coco (1 Viewer)

monkir

We are thinking of going there next year and hoping to get a guide for a few days. I have heard there is one called Paulino. Anyone have any details of him and how easy is he to book?
Any suggestions or info on staying in this area would be gratefully received.
Thanks

We had a day with Paulino a few years back and he was tremendous. We spent a lot of time birding on our own then cleaned up on some of the endemics and things we'd missed towards the end of our holiday: if I remember rightly we didn't find out about him until nearly the end of our stay. I think the Hotel gave us the number but I'll check back on my notes and see if I recorded any details. I'll also look at what we found and where. How long are you going for?

Thanks for your reply Foxy - we are going for 10 days to 2 weeks. Would be grateful for your trip list - and sites if you still have them, specially if we decide on just the ten days.

Paulino's contact details are - or were:

Paulino Lopez Delgado
e-mail: [email protected]
Address:
Edificio No. 3
Apto. No. 23
Tunguano
Moron
Ciego de Avila
Cuba

He was easy enough to get hold of via the Hotel as I recall but you would do better to contact him before you travel if you can. If you arrange your Hotel and contact them I bet they will give you a telephone number.

Is it a family holiday or birding? I was there with my wife for a 'holiday' but she knows our holidays include plenty of birding time and in truth it made this one for us. Without the birding we might have struggled for things to do at times, bearing in mind neither of us like sitting by the pool or spending hours on the beach (unless the seabirds are good.....)

The Cayo's are like a huge nature reserve. There are no local habitations there, just the hotels and all the staff are bussed in and out but that does mean there are no local pubs, villages or markets to walk to. The all inclusive hotels are very good, though. Worth doing a couple of the trips to the mainland if you have time with enough for the family to enjoy while you keep your bin's handy! I'll include details of those if they might be of interest?

I will send you some trip lists and site details. I am in Romania next work (work not pleasure I'm afraid) so it may be after I get back.

Don't go spending that much on books: I have a Birds of Cuba that I might be persuaded to part with: I hold out the hope of going back to the mainland but no idea when. I am sure others on here will have something, too.Cheers

Neil

Chanced upon a post on another thread that might help:

'I contacted him through e-mail to the hotel, to Gelly Estevez, Customer Service Department at the Hotel Tryp Cayo Coco, who knew him well, at [email protected].
Not sure if this is still correct, but worth a try.'

Neil

Thanks again Foxy. Will definitely try that when we have dates fixed.
I have got a Birds of Cuba book - I bought it a couple of years ago in hope and expectation - also because it was on offer at the BirdFair.
All out holidays are really arranged as birding trips with a bit of relaxing included if time permits. My wife isn't really a birder but travels with me to see some of the country then reads while I trek off looking for the birds. Neither of us are really beach/lazing round a pool people which is why I was a bit wary of the Cayos to start with but your information sounds like it will be a great place to see,
Hope Romania goes well and look forward to hearing from you when you get back,.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back