• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A little perspective on water resistance... (1 Viewer)

At least none of you suggested 'Troubadoris and myself' -- that is a usage that makes me wince and has gained currency in recent times.

Tom (founding member of Desiccated Pedant Forum)

Tom

You should think yourself lucky. Some people have to pay good money to get an experience that makes them wince :eek!: Anyway 'Troubadoris and I' sounds pretentious in the context of an informal forum.

Sorry to hear about the dessication, I suggest you self-isolate for a few days, drink plenty of water, and give yourself a thorough rub-down with Diprobase using an abrasive loofah.

Lee

Tom:

I don't understand your thinking, please explain. Especially your part at your
signature.

Jerry

Jerry

Its a kind of humour understood only in England and in fact a very tiny corner of south-east England :-O. Fortunately it isn't contagious.

Lee

Well, I thought we all shared the English language, but it seems you guys have a different dialect....
and vocabulary..;)

Jerry

Well, I thought we all shared the English language, but it seems you guys have a different dialect....
and vocabulary..;)

Jerry

George Bernard Shaw (allegedly) said that "the English and the Americans are two peoples divided by a common language."

Bob

Last edited:
and vocabulary..;)

Jerry

Jerry there are differences between us. For example, over here, if there is something that is so trivial to you that it is impossible for you to feel less concerned about it than you already do, you might say 'I couldn't care less about that'. Read that carefully and consider each word.

But over in the States, most of you would say 'I could care less about that'. Which is downright weird. If you could care less than you do, then you still care about it to some degree, but this is not what you mean.

But these differences make the world go round. Wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same?

Lee

Lee I guess 'I could care less about that'. Would be better than "that is a bunch of Sh-t" ;) I agree about all of us being the exact same> boring! I hope everyone is doing ok with no health problems!

Lee I guess 'I could care less about that'. Would be better than "that is a bunch of Sh-t" ;) I agree about all of us being the exact same> boring! I hope everyone is doing ok with no health problems!

No disagreement here!

Best wishes and good luck to everyone.

Lee

LOL. Troubadoris and I have often discussed these rules of grammar and methinks these rules are more akin to guidelines. :-O

Lee

Hello Lee,

Better!

Even as a resident of the former colonies and fluent speaker of American, I have generally turned to Fowler's Modern English Usage for more than guidance. One item, which Fowler deplores and is almost unknown in American English is the usage "different to," which is now commonplace even on the Beeb. I even corrected a British university teacher of modern English literature on that one.

Please forgive the pedantic ravings of a former educator.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Oops, Bob quoted it before I could finish my research/

Last edited:
and vocabulary..;)

Jerry

Hello Jerry,

Bernard Shaw may have said, but probably did not write: Britain and America are two nations divided by a common language.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Oops Bob beat me to it.

Last edited:
Hello Jerry,

Bernard Shaw may have said, but probably did not write: Britain and America are two nations divided by a common language.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Oops Bob beat me to it.

From my upcoming book:

THE POINT?

Learn what you need to know to keep your editors and readers happy and let the egocentric grammar Nazis duke it out while you’re cashing checks—:cat:

Hello Lee,

Better!

Even as a resident of the former colonies and fluent speaker of American, I have generally turned to Fowler's Modern English Usage for more than guidance. One item, which Fowler deplores and is almost unknown in American English is the usage "different to," which is now commonplace even on the Beeb. I even corrected a British university teacher of modern English literature on that one.

Please forgive the pedantic ravings of a former educator.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Oops, Bob quoted it before I could finish my research/

Arthur
I once gave a member a mini-lecture on 'different from' and 'similar to' and was treated to a rebuttal by none other than Brock. I hope the old rascal is OK these days.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back