• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Creature ID help need, UK (1 Viewer)

The Raptor

Bristol City's No.1 Fan!
Can anyone help ID these caterpillar like creatures, the tree/bush (not sure what tree/bush it is) shows how they have devistated it.

Regards ROD.

Attachments

• Creatures 1.jpg
    Creatures 1.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Creatures 2.jpg
    Creatures 2.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 51
Hi Rod

These are the larvae of one of the Small Ermine moths, Yponomeuta sp., id depends on what species of bush is affected. They can cause serious webbing, with entire hedgerows being affected.

Martin

Hi Rod

These are the larvae of one of the Small Ermine moths, Yponomeuta sp., id depends on what species of bush is affected. They can cause serious webbing, with entire hedgerows being affected.

Martin

Thanks Martin, very helpful mate.

Going by the one leaf(Prunus sp.) and the dots, spots and clean colour of the larvae, I think in this case it is Orchard Ermine Yponomeuta padella. Bird-cherry Ermine Yponomeuta evonymella has a more dirty coloured larvae. The other options are normally found on very species specific bushes or trees.

Cheers, Jim

It looks like Bird cherry to me, Prunus padus. I didn't know the name of the moth but at this time of year almost all the Bird cherries round here are covered in this silk and these caterpillars. They always recover from their partial defoliation though.

Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back