• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod/tripod head for Swarovski scope (1 Viewer)

Craig Thayer

I am in the market for a new tripod/tripod head for my Swarovski STS 80 mm HD spotting scope.

I am overwhelmed by the possible choices but would prefer carbon fiber with pan/tilt head. Swarovski has new tripod/head combo which is appealing but I certainly would consider other options. Price is not important (I am willing to pay premium price for high quality)

I do not want a made in China product .

I am in the market for a new tripod/tripod head for my Swarovski STS 80 mm HD spotting scope.

I am overwhelmed by the possible choices but would prefer carbon fiber with pan/tilt head. Swarovski has new tripod/head combo which is appealing but I certainly would consider other options. Price is not important (I am willing to pay premium price for high quality)

I do not want a made in China product .

Hi Craig... looks like we’re going through the same thing right now. I’m getting ready to get a Zeiss Harpia 95, and am facing similar dilemmas with regard to the tripod... currently thinking a Gitzo Mountaineer 3542 3 Series, or possibly the Swarovski PCT tripod combo...

I ordered a Gitzo Mountaineer tripod but did not like the twist locks so now I am searching for a flip lock tripod(legs only). Suggestions are welcome

BTW the Gitzo also had a manufacturing defect. The finish on the carbon fiber legs was missing from all three legs as well as the center column

...BTW the Gitzo also had a manufacturing defect. The finish on the carbon fiber legs was missing from all three legs as well as the center column
Describe the defect. I suspect you are simply unfamiliar with the normal finish. Today's carbon fiber in the best tripods (e.g. from Gitzo, RRS) often appears more like bare fiber than did the highly resin-coated carbon fiber of the past or in other products.

--AP

I only showed small portion of one leg. All legs and center column had uneven color distribution but maybe that is normal . My old carbon fiber tripod did not have that "issue" so I assumed it was a defect.

"Price is not important (I am willing to pay premium price for high quality)"
Really Right Stuff (RRS) makes some fine carbon fiber tripods
Have two of them and am really pleased with them

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back