• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corona virus threat to birding (1 Viewer)

It is Birdforum and it is a thread specifically about the threat to birding due to Coronavirus. If you want to waffle about something else, feel free to do so elsewhere.

Your'e back I see, haven't missed your usual crap, one miserable individual you are.

You were bleating about border queues and putting blood and the hands of Poland the other day, very birdy.

Seeing how people are already hating each other while being "lock down" just on an internet forum, I am not that surprised by the reports of increased divorce rates in China :)

Be civil please, no need to start being offensive, more people self isolating or working from home, means more people on the net, there is room for everyone on BF, but not with an attitude, life is tough enough at the moment and may get tougher, so please tone it down or ignore people who are going to wind you up.

#beniceor****off.com

Thanks

I think some people here are in a different World to me. I've just spent 40 minutes queuing for essentials and all you lot can waffle about is birding opportunities and dog walking, are you not affected yet?

I did find a freshly dead Magpie on the way back and pondered the historically attached omens but that didn't stop me from taking it's pristine, tail feathers which my wife will get arty with.

Was also offered my first elbow bump in lieu of a handshake today too.

It's been said, but happy to emphasise it; the thread is, (should be) about birding during this situation, and not a general discussion about life with the virus, which sadly it has become.

I'm wondering if this is going to be a good spring for rarity spotting. Since virtually nobody can travel abroad, we'll all have to concentrate on local birding. More "boots on the ground". ;)

It's been said, but happy to emphasise it; the thread is, (should be) about birding during this situation, and not a general discussion about life with the virus, which sadly it has become.

Fairly true - obviously there's going to be a crossover, and stats, opinion and various other bits as there are.

I see Andy has started the relevant thread already - https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=387635

(Don’t forget to give yourself a break from all the news - there’s some excellent instagram posts coming online from bands and musicians who’ve had to cancel concerts - just listened to half an hour of Chris Martin playing in his living room https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbTEXxcoiE0
and Keith Urban with Nicole Kidman dancing in the background https://pagesix.com/2020/03/17/keit...th-live-streamed-concert-from-their-basement/ brilliant stuff :t:)

Cool :t:

Good antidote to death stats, doom, gloom and armageddon ...

Last edited:
I'm wondering if this is going to be a good spring for rarity spotting. Since virtually nobody can travel abroad, we'll all have to concentrate on local birding. More "boots on the ground"

Not going to be a great year for yearlisting though ...

(On a County/Anything else level above Patch)

And was always going to expand it's coverage!

IMHO, what this shows is the obsessive, one dimensional existence of a few people.

I'm as dedicated a birder as anyone else but screw that for now, it's the last thing on my mind, I have a family who come a very clear first in any situation

I'll leave this thread to the obsessives then.

Spoke with Rob Hutchinson yesterday (BirdtourAsia) and he's locked down in the Philippines so no touring for him or his punters in the near future.

I wonder how many small companies will fold although I suppose you can pick up the threads of such a company when things normalise?

Spoke with Rob Hutchinson yesterday (BirdtourAsia) and he's locked down in the Philippines so no touring for him or his punters in the near future.

I wonder how many small companies will fold although I suppose you can pick up the threads of such a company when things normalise?

It may give you a glimpse of the terrible person I actually am but to some extent I am looking forward to travelling after this is over - well, if this is ever over - and most of the tourist infrastructure (which I mostly not use) is in shambles. Obviously, this can be a double-edged sword because it's hard to say whether the decay exactly leads to ... but there are definitely places where "all local guides going bust and having to do something else for living" is the dream for me.

IMHO, what this shows is the obsessive, one dimensional existence of a few people.

I'm as dedicated a birder as anyone else but screw that for now, it's the last thing on my mind, I have a family who come a very clear first in any situation

Or maybe it says something about you instead ;)

There's nothing wrong with a bit of organization. It's a pretty massive, life-altering situation for most everyone on here.

Good luck in your nappy quest.

It may give you a glimpse of the terrible person I actually am but to some extent I am looking forward to travelling after this is over - well, if this is ever over - and most of the tourist infrastructure (which I mostly not use) is in shambles. Obviously, this can be a double-edged sword because it's hard to say whether the decay exactly leads to ... but there are definitely places where "all local guides going bust and having to do something else for living" is the dream for me.

I generally love your posts Jan and I do get you, I really do! However, in some areas of the world where there’s such a fine line between eco-tourism and eco-destruction as a means of supporting a local economy and/or local livelihoods, I think I’d have to call you out on this one.

As you say ‘it can be a double-edged sword’

Last edited:
Be civil please, no need to start being offensive, more people self isolating or working from home, means more people on the net, there is room for everyone on BF, but not with an attitude, life is tough enough at the moment and may get tougher, so please tone it down or ignore people who are going to wind you up.

#beniceor****off.com

Thanks

I think we all gonna eat each other ;)

I generally love your posts Jan and I do get you, I really do! However, in some areas of the world where there’s such a fine line between eco-tourism and eco-destruction as a means of supporting a local economy and/or local livelihoods, I think I’d have to call you out on this one.

As you say ‘it can be a double-edged sword’

I said it's gonna show my terrible side :) And I am well aware that there are places that are protected from logging, hunting and even oil exploration by the power of tourist money. I have been to such places myself.

That doesn't change the fact that the guide business makes many places unpleasant to visit. I have simply been to far too many places where I was told "no, you can't go on only with a guide" to be able to maintain this positive attitude people here are expecting. Sure, this is a non-problem for half of people here, maybe more, because they want to have a guide anyway. But I personally find the difficulty of finding nature available to free exploration unsettling.

So I see this as somewhat of an opportunity. Some people say losing the tourist infrastructure is always bad, now we maybe will have the chance to see if they are correct. After all, I am a physicist, we like to always confront our hypotheses with an experiment.

At this point it's not even clear if the experiment is happening or if it is, whether I personally will get to explore its outcome, but someone will and they will probably post it here :)

I have simply been to far too many places where I was told "no, you can't go on only with a guide" to be able to maintain this positive attitude people here are expecting.
You are a genuine *** for being happy that guides (+ porters + hotel owners + drivers) lose their livelihood.

I probably am a bit obsessive when it comes to birding. I'd like to be on Scilly right now, but I'm following Govt. guidelines. I suspect some won't be; maybe they're more obsessive.

Anyhow you can watch the news about this virus 24/7 and it probably won't be very good for one's mental state. You can also distract yourself with other things. Sometimes I'll get into the full detail surrounding the virus. Sometimes I'll discuss my daughter's imminent wedding, and the likely cancellation of that. Sometimes I'll discuss Paw Patrol with my grandson; he's oblivious when it comes to the virus. And....sometimes I'll discuss how we can try to indulge in this wonderful hobby we all enjoy, and will need during these difficult times. I thought the thread was about that. You can label it as obsessiveness.

I was reading this thread for some good news before heading out for some birding, but it seems it's become nasty like any other internet forum. Oh well.

F it. Off to see some birds!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back