• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

LBJ in Ethiopia (1 Viewer)

alfred huber

I have not much hope for the identification of this bird. Is also a bad pic but maybe a crack in Bird-ID will be able. Simian Mountain nearly 3000m altitude 14.5.17

Attachments

• IMG_9742.JPG
    IMG_9742.JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 83
it's a cisticola, not sure which species but the location and altitude should narrow it down. Check for one with a rufous cap and black lores.
cheers,
James

From what I see from the bird, the altitude, the environment, I would say Ethiopian Cisticola.
Jean

In Simian Mountain NP there are two different Cisticola: Stout and Ethiopian C.
Could the first two pics be a Stout Cisticola and the second pic the Ethiopian Cisticola?

Attachments

• IMG_9609.jpg
    IMG_9609.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9610.JPG
    IMG_9610.JPG
    731.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9719.JPG
    IMG_9719.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 15
In Simian Mountain NP there are two different Cisticola: Stout and Ethiopian C.
Could the first two pics be a Stout Cisticola and the second pic the Ethiopian Cisticola?
The first two photos show a Ethiopian Cisticola,
the third ?? Possibly Singing Cisticola.
Jean

Last edited:
Good Morning Jean Francois, can you explain to me why 1 and 2 are Ethiopian rather than Stout C.? According to my books has Ethiopian no black streaking in the brown crown.

Good Morning Jean Francois, can you explain to me why 1 and 2 are Ethiopian rather than Stout C.? According to my books has Ethiopian no black streaking in the brown crown.
Hello,
the crown may be slightly streaked in the Ethiopian C.
The bill is a little weak for a Stout.
In addition, the great coverts have the bright color of the primaries.
Jean

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back