• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Good Day at Cuckmere Haven and More (1 Viewer)

What can I say Joanne

Very sorry to hear of your loss, time spent by ones self in the outdoors is a
good as any why to deal with these situations.

Take care

Matt

Thanks Deborah and Matt and the people who sent PMs.

I did wonder about marsh harrier, just might get me going back there sometime soon.

Joanne

A Morning for Woodlarks

A prearranged meeting with the leader of the Ashdown Forest Bird Group was to be an enjoyable morning. Sue turned out to be a cheerful experienced birder with many years birding experience on Ashdown Forest and a good knowledge of the area. First seen was what was to be the first of many woodlarks. This one was happily having a dust bath in the dry humous rich soil. We watched him for awhile, still don't think he saw us but we were distracted by the sweet melodious warble of a redstart. :loveme: We soon located the handsome male flitting from tree to ground and back again. We would hear 5 more throughout the morning but he would be the only one we would get good views of.

Tree pipits were pretty numerous this morning, flying between feeding on the ground and perching in dead trees. I find it difficult to distinguish tree from meadow except on behaviour, more confident fliers and more often in trees but sure there must be more. Walking down the steep hill we would see a whitethroat singing from a goorse bush, a blackcap in the trees, willow warbler,chiffchaff, male stonechat and a dunnock with food. Over the bridge a female stonechat was spotted.

Further on up the hill in a woodland clearing we would see the first of two family groups of woodlark moving quickly and easily, feeding on the ground among the dry vegetation. They looked so happy and at home in this woodland clearing under the pine trees. Also in this area we saw an adult mistle thrush with one juvenile. Then an adult nuthatch with its single offspring happily probing the bark of the pine trees. Goldcrest were in the pinetree tops cheerfully picking insects. A treecreeper confidently worked his tree.

Further on in a grassy bit was the only spotted flycatcher of the day posing nicely on the barbed wire fence, picture below. A female great spotted woodpecker was busily collecting food for her nestlings that we could hear coming from the nearby pines, watched her for awhile. We would also see her mate who was less helpful in providing food for the young, ;) typical of the specie perhaps? Then the next family of woodlark in an open area under the electricity wires, got a picture of one. A flyover redpoll we saw several times, think it was only one. A green woodpecker called nearby and later another two more great spots. Then a party of feeding swallows.

It was a teriffic day for woodlark, think we saw twelve altogether. Ashdown Forest really does seem to be a haven for them. My companion tells me that 10 years ago they were rare here. Evidence of global warming?

No raptors today unfortunately. And the Ashdown Forest Bird Group, well she was very keen to have me as one of the surveyors, think there is a shortage so I have been allotted a patch here to visit once a month..... I think I might be taking on too much.:'D

Joanne

Attachments

• IMG_4467a resized.jpg
    IMG_4467a resized.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_4476a resized.jpg
    IMG_4476a resized.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Hi Joanne,

You had a really good day with a bit of woodland birding. Some good sightings there and I like the photo's.

The woodland up here is well clothed in leaves and you just have to sit, watch and concentrate for the slightes movement:'D

Its a good time for Pied Flycatchers up here in the Churnet Valley this year:clap: :clap:

Have you seen any wood warblers down your way?

Dean

Cheadle Birder.

Hi Joanne,

You had a really good day with a bit of woodland birding. Some good sightings there and I like the photo's.

The woodland up here is well clothed in leaves and you just have to sit, watch and concentrate for the slightes movement:'D

Its a good time for Pied Flycatchers up here in the Churnet Valley this year:clap: :clap:

Have you seen any wood warblers down your way?

Dean

Cheadle Birder.

Hi Dean

I know what you mean about woodland birding, the phrase "can't see the woods for the trees" springs to mind. I find it best to find a comfortable place to sit in a clearing or ride and just wait and hopefully things turn up. Ashdown Forest, despite it's name, is more heath or moor like than actual forest.

You're lucky with pied flys, they're pretty scarce down here, same with WW. Sadly never seen either.

J

The Garden of Eden

......no, not really but the name of the patch I've been allotted to survey on Ashdown Forest. It's part of the vast open area high up on top with only a few trees, lots of gorse and heather. I arrived early to be greeted by a tree pipit, at least I think it was a tree pipit; I'm struggling a bit with tree and meadow up here as both are pretty common but this one flew well and preferred the gorse bushes to the ground.:'D Then another a few minutes later, this one with food. A perched spotted flycatcher was a nice find I was to learn later. Then a male stonechat, the first of many today. A yellowhammer flew over giving only the briefest of views.

I started walking down a path leading into the valley, ascending skylark singing, but the path got narrower and narrower so I turned back as I didn't want to disturb any nesting birds, a cuckoo called. Walking back up the hill, I noticed a figure in the distance which turned out to be my new friend, Sue, the Ashdown Forest birdlady. I think she birds a different spot most days somewhere on the forest; anyway pleased to see her:-O so we spent the rest of the morning birding together.

Along the ride to the south saw lots of meadow pipits , including two family groups. Swifts hawking over the valley in the warm sunshine, then the biggest female sparrowhawk I've ever seen circled around nicely before disappearing in the distance to the southwest. A pair of linnet flew over, we would see another pair in the gorse later. Throughout the morning a redpoll kept flying round several times, think it was a male patrolling his territory. They always make me smile, they sound so cheerful. A flyover grey heron was mobbed by a crow.

A little later we were to see one of the stars of the morning, a singing male Dartford warbler. He put on a super show and we had fantastic views but unfortunately I didn't get a picture as it was straight into the morning sun. :'D.

Sue was keen to get back to where I had seen the spotted fly. We hung around awhile but unfortunately it didn't show again. Aparantly they are not too common on Ashdown Forest she would tell me, only a few reported this year. But we did see several family groups of more stonechat. One sweet protective male kept shepherding his little ones from the ride back into the bracken as if saying, "it's not safe there". This delightful sight made for a fitting end to a good morning. Oh, and one more singing DW.

I think I'll get into this monthly surveying; seems I've been assigned a pretty productive patch. They are looking for more surveyors....thought of you, Mark, if you're reading this.

Attachments

• IMG_4534a resized.jpg
    IMG_4534a resized.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_4515e resized.jpg
    IMG_4515e resized.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 96
A little later we were to see one of the stars of the morning, a singing male Dartford warbler. He put on a super show and we had fantastic views but unfortunately I didn't get a picture as it was straight into the morning sun. :'D.

Nice read Joanne, and best of luck with your survey work:t:

Regarding Dartford Warbler, yet another 'bogey bird' on my doorstep I'm awaiting to see for the first time!! - must stop confessing my inability to find
birds resident in norfolk/suffolk, people might start to wonder if I do any birding at all:'D

Matt

Hi Joanne,

A good read. Sounds like you have your work cut out for this survey work :eek!: but it should be very enjoyable across the seasons with different species. You might get to see a few mammals as well.

Another good thing is that the more you visit the better you will get to know the forest and its habitat.

Look forward to hearing more about how you get on with this patch.

Thanks for the photo's and some good bird sightings.

Dean

Regarding Dartford Warbler, yet another 'bogey bird' on my doorstep I'm awaiting to see for the first time!! - must stop confessing my inability to find
birds resident in norfolk/suffolk, people might start to wonder if I do any birding at all:'D

Matt

Well you'll just have to come to Sussex for a DW then.:t:

You seem to find loads of goodies in your "desert" that is South Norfolk!:'D

Hi Joanne,

A good read. Sounds like you have your work cut out for this survey work :eek!: but it should be very enjoyable across the seasons with different species. You might get to see a few mammals as well.

Dean

Thanks Dean. There are loads of deer of various sorts, some native and some introduced as well as badgers on Ashdown Forest. One big problem unfortunately is that there is a major road running straight through it, hence many casualties.:-C

Downland Interlude

A birding lunch break today at my place of work on the north side of The South Downs, if that makes sense. Anyone who has walked the South Downs Way between Eastbourne and Lewes has walked past this spot. The sweet sound of a skylark permeated the stillness of an English summers day. A kestrel hovering over the adjacent uncut hay field; unsuccessful this time, the long grass providing ample cover for the voles and other small mammals. Another more distant one towards the village, probably it's mate, also hunted. Then a sparrowhawk cruises overhead before disappearing into the woods. In the far distance 3 soaring buzzards in rising higher and higher circles in a thermal of warm air captured my attention before disappearing towards the north.

A small party of swifts flew in over the hay field followed by 23 feeding swallows flying low catching insects. And then a family of twittering linnets flies over and then back again.

Nothing unusual or remarkable in these species but not bad for a lunch break on a quintessential English summers day.|:d|

I'll swap you a buzzard(or two) for a little owl! ;)

BTW Is your new avatar you?

Joanne

It's a deal, are Little Owls not that common in the south?

Regarding my new avatar, yeah that'll be me slumpted up my fave corner of Strumpshaw Fen tower hide - admittedly only a tantalising glimpse but I don't want to get all you lovely ladies too excited:'D :girl:

Matt

The Garden of Eden

I think I'll get into this monthly surveying; seems I've been assigned a pretty productive patch. They are looking for more surveyors....thought of you, Mark, if you're reading this.

Thanks Joanne...........a nice thought but to be honest i don't think i am good enough yet.

Talk to you about it Sunday hopefully.

It's a deal, are Little Owls not that common in the south?

Regarding my new avatar, yeah that'll be me slumpted up my fave corner of Strumpshaw Fen tower hide - admittedly only a tantalising glimpse but I don't want to get all you lovely ladies too excited:'D :girl:

Matt

That's funny Matt:-O

Little Owls are listed as fairly common but I don't see them very often.

A Morning for Redstart

I met up with BFer Mark 43 and his wife, Jackie, at Old Lodge Nature Reserve on Ashdown Forest this morning. They made me thoroughly envious by recounting their recent trip to North Norfolk...must get there sometime, hopefully for me later this year.

A striking male bullfincho:) was the first bird seen resting on the grassy path. A delightful family of goldcrest were seen flitting restlessly among the upper reaches of the pine trees, oblivious to our presence, the juveniles finding their own food. The first of the great spotted woodpeckers called and flew across our path. A little later we would see a family of 4, both parents and 2 youngsters, on the tree trunks and a pile of logs. Altogether this morning we would see at least 11 great spots, a record for all of us in one day, I think.

Among the bigger pines as the path begins to descend into the valley we saw the first stars of the day, a family group or redstart o:D , a female and 2 juvs flying among the lower branches and bushes. This part of Ashdown Forest is perfect habitat for them and has the most breeding pairs in Sussex. Nestboxes are put up for them to suppliment this already suitable habitat.

The first of 3 green woodpeckers we heard called but we didn't see it. Then a jay flew among an open area of the woods; don't think it saw us as we were able to watch him for longer than is usual for this specie. We would see a second one later further along the path. Then a woodlark fluttered down to the right, the first of 4 or 5 we would see today.

At a particular point the path gets rather steep in an openish area with a mixture of trees, silver birch and pine mostly. Here we saw the second family of redstart, a female and juvs demanding food and the first male :king: of the day. The juvs are pretty but with only a faint red tail and speckley breast. Also in this area was a family group of treecreeper , at least 5, the juveniles recognisable by their smaller size and lighter colouring than their parents, but able now to find their own food in the bark by themselves. We lost track of how many there were but with both redstart and treecreepers here in plenty we lingered for some time.

In the heather as we approached the stream we heard whitethroat, willow warbler and chiffchaff. Over the bridge a juvenile meadow pipit called for it's parents who we didn't see. Up the hill a third redstart family was spotted, this time with good views of the beautiful dad and a pair of woodlark with food. A tree pipit perched in a dead tree giving a nice prolonged view.

Then it started to rain:-C, got quite heavy and the birds disappeared into the tree canopy but we heard the second of three cuckoos of the morning, got another view of a single male redstart; it really had by now become the morning for redstarts! We must have seen at least 12, then more great spots.

Then as we passed through an area of thick pines, a flyover group of 4 probable linnets. It was raining hard by now so we took shelter under some trees but by now we were drenched. As we returned to our starting point we would see a flyover redpoll with its distinctive hissy flight call. Then another woodlark fluttered in with it's floaty flight to land on a dead tree.

An enjoyable morning despite it ending in rain.:t: I've probably forgotten things, Mark, so hopefully you will add. But for me it was definately the morning for redstarts. Is it just me or do other people find them exotic too? I just can't bring myself to call them "common redstart".

Joanne

Last edited:
Don't think you have forgotten anything Joanne apart from a few Coal Tits we saw flitting about.
Plus it was Old Lodge not New Lodge:-O ;)

Very enjoyable morning walk even though it rained and a better write up than i could manage.:t: :t:

Funnily enough I was also at Old Lodge this morning. I also saw a few G.S. Woodpeckers and thought I saw some Goldcrest or very small birds anyway. I did not walk all of the way round as it started raining but did see plenty of Redstarts although the light was not good enough to get any really good shots.

Funnily enough I was also at Old Lodge this morning. I also saw a few G.S. Woodpeckers and thought I saw some Goldcrest or very small birds anyway. I did not walk all of the way round as it started raining but did see plenty of Redstarts although the light was not good enough to get any really good shots.

Hi John

It was quiet there this morning.

We didn't see anyone else apart from a woman walking a dog and a couple outside the reserve who waved at us and we were there from 8 till 10.45ish.
Surprising really for such a good birding area.
I'm sure we would have said hello if we had seen you.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back