• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron es 80 v3 or regal m2 (1 Viewer)

hr21

Hello all, I am wondering which of these to get

Opticron es 80 v3 with sdl v2 (used)

Or

Celestron regal m2 80 with zoom EP (swap to a fixed 1.25 likely) (new)

Does the Opticron have much optical advantage here?

Thanks

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Hi,

if you can try the used Opticron in person, that would be my recommendation. At this time of year in England and in good light I would expect to see a nice and sharp image at the maximum magnification of 60x for this combination.

I have an SDLv2 on my old Kowa and it works really well on there despite not having been designed for it - great views to be had at the max magnification of 52x with this body.

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

Thank you for the reply.

I have the Opticron in hand.

At 60x the image is sharp but not too easy to get into focus, quite delicate movements needed and is also sharper at 40x.

Is this what you would expect?

An alternative is a hawke endurance Ed 85.

Thanks

At 60x the image is sharp but not too easy to get into focus, quite delicate movements needed and is also sharper at 40x.

This is exactly my experience with the SDLv2 on my MM4 60 at full magnification (45x). It is possible to get a sharp image in the right conditions, but requires constant micro-adjustments. I try not to go above 40x for this reason. I tried an ES80 & SDLv2 at the store last year and found the same thing at 60x. However, I was actually quite impressed at how good the image was all the way up to 55x. The only thing I didn’t like about it was its size.

Hi,

delicate movements are to be expected with a single speed focus drive. Same with my Kowa.

If you can get a sharp image at 60x so you can see fine detail like tree bark or moss, it should be good. A star test would be best of course, if that's an option...

Joachim

Hi,

you aim your scope at a bright star and slightly defocus in each direction. Ideally you should see two identical images of concentric rings. If you don't (which is quite probable as the star test is very sensitive), the images seen can tell you what optical aberrations are present in your scope. A good text on this including images of the different aberrations is linked below - you need the examples without obstruction.

https://www.telescope-optics.net/star_testing_telescope.htm

You can also try to take pictures of the slightly defocused star to post here.

Joachim

Thanks, I will get on this.

I've queried with opticron and they will provide the 20 year parts warranty and 5 year parts warranty (on the eyepiece) as I do not have the original reciept.

Does much go wrong with these? I am debating whether to keep or purchase the Hawke currently.

Also debating whether to have an 80/85 size scope or a 50 for travel. I do not often look at things that are too far away, mainly when I struggle to view through my binoculars (10x42) and I think a 50 with 12-36 might be enough. Do not do much beach views, Titchwell would be the longest view at a push, but mainly do Thetford forest haunts e.g. Santon Downham/ Lynford A etc. Would a 50 scope be enough for this?

Thanks.

Does much go wrong with these? I am debating whether to keep or purchase the Hawke currently.

Hi,

I personally see no problem witth buying used optics - even if it's not covered by a generous warranty like the one Opticron offers.

If it was working well when I inspected it before buying, chances are, it will be working in 20 more years, unless I fumble and drop it. And even then, unless there is catastrophic damage to optical elements, it can probably repaired for a fee.

Things might be different with stuff that contains electronics - these tend to degrade over their lifetime and might reach a point when stuff inside goes poof - and due to the complexity there might just be nobody around who can fix it.

As for whether a 50mm scope is enough as a single scope - I personally think no, I would consider 60 or 65 thiough - YMMV.

Joachim

Thank you for the helpful advice.

I think I may keep hold of it.

Any tripod recommendations as not sure the velbon 200 is enough.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back