• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron zoom EP for my TSN-4? (1 Viewer)

bingman3

Hi there.
I'm new today to the forum. My scope is a Kowa tsn-4. It has a 25x ler EP. I would like a zoom EP. I'm considering the Opticron sdlv2 or the kowa te-9zb. I have been looking over the forum for information about the Opticron sdlv2 EP used on a kowa tsn body. Found lots of info.
Here's what i know about my scope so far. The body does have the glass covering the inside workings. Getting an o-ring shouldn't be a problem.
I took pictures and measurements I'll post here.
On the drawing, the "A" measurement is 0.793 in. Google says that is 20.14 mm. The little flange/shelf at the bottom of the magnesium tube, where it touches the glass, is about 1/16th in (1.5 mm) thick. That gives almost 21.5 mm space.
I was hoping to get your input before i bought the eyepiece. haha.
Thanks in advance.
Tyler

Attachments

• IMG_20190202_075639 (3).jpg
    IMG_20190202_075639 (3).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20190202_074312 (3).jpg
    IMG_20190202_074312 (3).jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 37
I use the SDL-V2 on my TSN-4 and it is a pretty good combination.

My TSN-4 does not have the rear glass, however (just for you) I took my eyepiece off and measured how far it protrudes into the scope. Once you have an "O" ring installed it is 17.3 mm from the rear flange so you should have about 4 mm clearance.

Regarding "O" rings. Ones of suitable diameter tend to be too thick so you will need to stretch a smaller one or, as I did, shave down a correctly sized one with a scalpel. This is not a problem but might save you a headache.

I am quite happy with mine, works well.

Your awesome! Thanks!
With the 25x LER EP (17HB), I have to position my eye just perfect left-to-right up-and-down with the right distance from the ep just to see through it. It gives me fits and makes me feel like I'm going to poke myself in the eye (Don't wear glasses yet...) as a result, was looking for something better. Of the small number of optics I've looked through, this EP I've liked the least.
Sounds like I'll have enough room for the Opticron!

Your awesome! Thanks!
With the 25x LER EP (17HB), I have to position my eye just perfect left-to-right up-and-down with the right distance from the ep just to see through it. It gives me fits and makes me feel like I'm going to poke myself in the eye (Don't wear glasses yet...) as a result, was looking for something better. Of the small number of optics I've looked through, this EP I've liked the least.
Sounds like I'll have enough room for the Opticron!

I went the other way - after 50 years of wearing glasses I now only use them for reading! I had cataracts. One point to note with the SDL-V2 is that the eyepiece extension tends to push back in when you use it (as do most of them!)- some insulating tape or a couple of nice tight O rings will sort this. The eyepiece extension is nice and large so it fits my eye socket well and allows me to steer the scope around without using my hands if I want to.

There are a number of fixed Opticron eyepieces that can be made to fit but the SDL-V2 is the best if you want a zoom.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back