• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you identify this Warbler Song? CT USA (1 Viewer)

lvn600

I was walking along an overgrown rail trail and encountered both Hooded Warbler (singing typical song) and Common Yellowthroat. I had a view of one bird that I thought may have been a Kentucky Warbler but could not get a prolonged view or photo. I did record this song in the vicinity of the mystery bird and wasn't quite sure which bird it belonged to. Can you identify it for me.-thanks

Attachments

• My Movie.wmv
    1 MB · Views: 31
Let me clarify - you heard all this singing recently? It's getting quite late for singing from most warblers. Also - Kentucky Warbler is quite rare in Connecticut. At any rate, I don't believe the song portion posted is from a Kentucky. It isn't immediately obvious to me what it is from - it sound similar to Prothonotary Warbler. But Prothonotarys are early migrants, and I have never heard one singing anywhere near this late in the season.

It does sound very similar to a Kentucky, but its only a fragment of the song and would be VERY rare in CT especially at this time of year. To put it in perspective, according to Ebird in CT, Kentucky Warbler has only been documented 2 times ever during Fall migration from September on and 3 times ever if you include August.

(http://ebird.org/ebird/map/kenwar?n...Z&mr=on&bmo=8&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2016)

I wouldn't personally be able to draw conclusions from this recording alone.

I know that it would be rare although there was one documented in town a couple of miles away last month. I did get enough of a view of the facial markings that I could narrow it down a Hooded or a Kentucky. I checked the songs of the Kentucky which had it singing 5 notes but this bird repeated the same notes that you hear in the clip which I shortened so it would fit.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back