• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Montana, USA - American or Lesser Goldfinch? (1 Viewer)

janinmt

Can you tell from these poor photos? Taken this morning, 8/31/16, at Shiloh Conservation Area in Billings, Montana, USA.

Thanks!

Jan in MT

Attachments

• 2016 8 August 31 possible Lesser Goldfinch Shiloh CA (1)a.JPG
    2016 8 August 31 possible Lesser Goldfinch Shiloh CA (1)a.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 29
  • 2016 8 August 31 possible Lesser Goldfinch Shiloh CA (2)a.JPG
    2016 8 August 31 possible Lesser Goldfinch Shiloh CA (2)a.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2016 8 August 31 possible Lesser Goldfinch Shiloh CA (3).JPG
    2016 8 August 31 possible Lesser Goldfinch Shiloh CA (3).JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 30
White under-tail coverts, so American (yellow there as well as breast & belly in Lesser).

Also Lesser doesn't occur in Montana, only north to southernmost WY & ID.

Thanks, Nutcracker. I hadn't considered the undertail coverts. American Goldfinch is the expected species, but Lesser Goldfinch has been showing up regularly all over Montana, including in the Billings area. It was reported (with good photos!) on eBird last week. So I am now looking over the goldfinch flocks with closer attention. This one had a darker beak, a darker olive-greenish back and weak wingbars, so it seemed a contender. But I wasn't convinced, and it took off before I got decent photos.

Jan in MT

Interesting to know they're spreading! I saw the beak was dark (so did think it could be Lesser on first look), but the beak can be dark on American as well, with the undertail being the more solid distinction. Good luck finding some Lessers!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back