• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nervous Newbie! (1 Viewer)

BillOddiesBeard

Hi all

I've always been interested in wild birds but have never joined a forum before.

I live in a rural part of West Lothian in Scotland and am in my early 40s - really my interest started in the 1970s with bird nesting & egg collecting (v.naughty, I know!). I found that I learned loads about birds at a very early age though & the interest never leaves you.

Im no twitcher or even serious birder, but I always have my faithful "nockies" on me and am aware of the birds around me. Anyway, I thought that I might have the chance to learn from more experienced posters - learning is a lifetime pursuit.

I am off to the hebridean island of Tiree in a few weeks time for my annual holiday - I've been five times previously and I know that there are a lot of birds to look out for - waders, seabirds, migrants, and the pesky corncrakes that keep me awake all night with their rasping. Does anyone have any other tips for what I could be looking for on Tiree?

Now I know that I will be judged as mistaken, but I saw a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in my garden this morning. It had a go at some fat balls and then was ched from my garage roof by some (rather larger) juvenile starlings. I know that LSWs don't usually get this far north - but I'm fairly sure that this was not a GSW. It looked like a female (no red cap) and had very clear bars on the wings. It was certainly a WP, was little more than sparrow size and flew off with an up-down-up looping flight. Am I going mad? Could it have been a juvenile GSW?

Anyway, enough for now. Suffice to say that I feel honoured & privileged to be aboard and hope to contribute regularly.

Mark. B :)

Don't be nervous, it's a friendly enough forum and everyone's always willing to give useful help and ids - though obviously don't dwell on your egg-collecting past. I imagine you've seen the errors of your ways now, of course, but you'll no doubt ruffle more than a few feathers with that (no pun intended), as people here will see it as something downright abhorrant rather than "v. naughty". Also, as it's been highly illegal to collect wild eggs since 1954, you may not want implement yourself in illegal activity you took part in during the 1970s....

At that size and with that description it certainly sounds like a LSW - I don't know much about their distribution in Scotland to make comment on how likely it is.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Birdforum.

We have quite an active following in Scotland and they have quite a few meets during the year....Delia one of the Mods is the main person that organises them so keep an eye open.

Welcome along to BF.
I think most on here from the U.K. are level-headed enough to realise that egg colllecting was a fairly widespread pursuit by many youngsters in the last century...even Bill Oddie started that way, and I dare say many members on here.
cheers,
Andy

Hi Mark and a warm welcome from me too

Keep an eye on the Scottish Bash Discussion thread We usually have a few each year and they are all great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us if you can manage.

There's a number of members here from your area too - I'm sure you'll come across them soon.

D

Hi Mark and welcome to Bird Forum :hi:

I've never been to the Scottish Isles *yet!* but can't wait to get the chance :t: You'll just have to write up a full report for us once you get back o:)

It certainly sounds like a Lesser-spotted you saw as they ARE pretty small.........just don't rub it in TOO much as a lot of folks on BF have it as a bit of a bogey bird ;)

Welcome to Birdforum!

At that size and with that description it certainly sounds like a LSW - I don't know much about their distribution in Scotland to make comment on how likely it is.

Only one official record in Scotland (Aberfoyle, 1968) although there are a handful of other more recent records which are open to doubt or for which no description was submitted. Might be worth submitting your record as your description sounds better than most (at least you haven't made the standard juvenile GSW/red cap error!)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back