• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Minox BL 8X56 HD Model 2017 (1 Viewer)

gonz33

Hello everyone, I understand that these binoculars came out in mid-2017 in Germany, but I have several trips looking for them here in the United States and I can not find them, someone can tell me how or where I can buy them in the USA, thanks.

Jose Gonzalez

Jose, others, Do you know of any reviews or user reports on this model on the internet? Thanks. A short "preview"(?) by Binomania more than 10 months ago (linked in this forum) was to be followed by a more normal review but that has not been done, or else not published, so far. They gave a figure of 7.8 deg. for the field of view. There are a few YouTube videos on the model but these are not very useful. (I might now instead go for the Steiner NightHunter/ShadowQuest 8x56, a porro, which has many reviews.)

Last edited:
ShadowQuest 8x56.

Jose, others, Do you know of any reviews or user reports on this model on the internet? Thanks. A short "preview"(?) by Binomania more than 10 months ago (linked in this forum) was to be followed by a more normal review but that has not been done, or else not published, so far. They gave a figure of 7.8 deg. for the field of view. There are a few YouTube videos on the model but these are not very useful. (I might now instead go for the Steiner NightHunter/ShadowQuest 8x56, a porro, which has many reviews.)

They look very good quality, but the individual focus system I do not like since it is very uncomfortable

The Steiner ShadowQuest 8x56 is said to be in focus from 20 m to infinity once the focus is set, so maybe the individual focusing is not such a problem?

Meanwhile...No reviews yet of the Minox BL-HD 8x56!...?

The Steiner ShadowQuest 8x56 is said to be in focus from 20 m to infinity once the focus is set, so maybe the individual focusing is not such a problem?

WJC (Bill) has posted about this often enough. There is no optical magic that makes binos in focus over big distances and an 8x will only have as much depth of field as another 8x. Any perceived 'increase' in this depth is dependent on the users own 'accommodation' and relying on this can be tiring and straining on the eyes.

Lee

Thanks Lee. I was wondering if there was some new "optical magic" here that enables the user to easily find a setting where 20 m to infinity is nearly in focus. I tried this with my present biggest 8x which is a 42 with good sharpness (Bushnell Legend-M) and could get to nothing like that. Yet reviews somehow back the claim. One in Steiner's (own) website comments: "...with Sports-Auto-Focus make it much easier to use This lets you pick up moving objects faster. Excellent focus free that I have been wanting for years...", and another review in a leading online retailer's site says: "I love the AutoFocus". Back to the Minox...;-)

The price there (if I saw the same item) is now USD 883 with also a hunting knife. Google Translate on the the German text gives:

The MINOX BL HD binoculars represent a maximum performance of German binoculars development. The use of HD special glass, finest compensation and the best opto-mechanical elements leads to a unique viewing experience. The lightweight and ergonomic housing with comfort bridge presents itself in a new, dynamic design. MINOX BL HD - everything the user expects from premium binoculars "Made in Germany".
Product features:
● HD special glass with abnormal partial dispersion
● New optical calculation for even higher contrast
● Improved compensation for higher light transmission
● Improved field of view diaphragms for further reduction of stray light
● Open bridge for safe one-handed operation and grip
● Lightweight polycarbonate case
● New dynamic design
Technical specifications:
Enlargement 8x
Entrance pupil 56 mm
Diopter compensation +/- 4 dpt.
Exit pupil 7.0 mm
Field of view at 1000 m 136 m / 7.8°
Eye relief 20.0 mm
Close range 3,5 m
Operating temperature -10° to 50° C
Waterproof 5,0 m
Height / width / depth 195 x 160 x 70 mm
Mass 1250 g.

Hi.

I’m new here and registered because I’m into a new bino. Scanning the internet I found that the Minox BL HD fulfilled all my “needs”.
I’ve recently noticed that there is an updated version of this product line but I can’t find any info about the differences of these two versions. So I read this thread and hoped to find info about what I was searching.

So can any of you guys tell me the difference between the newer and the older version?

I read somewhere that the only difference is cosmetic….straight bridges vrs swept back bridges.....but that's not saying they didn't tweek the coatings along the way....

Screenshot from the English version of the Binomania "preview". ("Translate" facility provided in site. Text copying not possible.) PS. Sorry if contrast is too high: used Microsoft Picture Manager "Auto Correct" on image.

Attachments

• mnox856a.jpg
    mnox856a.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Thanks Lee. I was wondering if there was some new "optical magic" here that enables the user to easily find a setting where 20 m to infinity is nearly in focus. I tried this with my present biggest 8x which is a 42 with good sharpness (Bushnell Legend-M) and could get to nothing like that. Yet reviews somehow back the claim. One in Steiner's (own) website comments: "...with Sports-Auto-Focus make it much easier to use This lets you pick up moving objects faster. Excellent focus free that I have been wanting for years...", and another review in a leading online retailer's site says: "I love the AutoFocus". Back to the Minox...;-)

My Fujinon 7x50, which has individual focus like the Steiner you mention and unlike the centre focus of the Minox, are focused for around 15 to 20m to infinity and the view is as sharp as can be from near to far and edge to edge so why not?

Last edited:
WJC (Bill) has posted about this often enough. There is no optical magic that makes binos in focus over big distances and an 8x will only have as much depth of field as another 8x. Any perceived 'increase' in this depth is dependent on the users own 'accommodation' and relying on this can be tiring and straining on the eyes.

Lee

Once again comparing to the Fujinon FMTR-SX 7x50, everything is in sharp focus from around 20m to infinity and the view is very comfortable.

Last edited:
F88, I wonder whether you have forgotten that 7x magnification gives greater depth of field than 8x?

Individual focus does not contribute towards this (except that IF results in correct focus at any setting vs CF with a less-than-perfect diopter mechanism which can lead to "wandering diopter".)

The comfort in viewing is probably due mainly to the large exit pupil.

F88, I wonder whether you have forgotten that 7x magnification gives greater depth of field than 8x?

Individual focus does not contribute towards this (except that IF results in correct focus at any setting vs CF with a less-than-perfect diopter mechanism which can lead to "wandering diopter".)

The comfort in viewing is probably due mainly to the large exit pupil.

Yes, I'm aware of lower mag creating greater depth of field and the compromise between individual and centre focus. And yes, a large exit pupil is always more comfortable.
My comment regarding ease of view related to a lack of strain or accommodation of the set focus spanning from approximately 20m to infinity and also how sharp it is across the view.
I'm unsure of the range a similar set up in 8x would create, perhaps not quite as near to infinity but quite usable I'm sure.

Has anyone seen these on the market yet? I would like to see a review of these. I wonder if they are as "good" as the 8 x 56 HG's.

I have the HG and it would take a whole lot to better it.....

So gunut, how well do you like the Minox HG 8 x 56? I am considering an 8 X 56 in the near future, and am curious if there are specific uses for that size binocular, and how well it works for owling. Just curious, any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back