Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Crane ID needed - Tokyo area

Old Saturday 5th July 2008, 14:37   #1
Astrokev

Crane ID needed - Tokyo area

Dear All,

On a business trip last week, whilst travelling by taxi to Tokyo from Narita airport, I had a close view of a crane walking / feeding along the side of a rice field in an area of fairly open agricultural land. The view was short, maybe 10 seconds, so I was not able to get a photograph.

The bird appeared to be a Gray-crowned Crane, Balearica regulorum, the crown on the head being very prominent. On checking the Oriental Bird Club and the Mangoverde World Bird Guide websites, this species does not seem to be present in Japan, so I am perplexed by my sighting.

Please could someone help me confirm this sighting?

Does this species occasionally frequent Japan? If not, I would be very grateful if someone could suggest what I may have seen. It's possible that the bird was a captive bird, but this seems unlikely to me and it appeared to be free-roaming.

Any help anyone can provide would be very much appreciated.

(note - also posting this message on the bird ID Q&A forum.)

Thank you
Kevin
Old Sunday 28th December 2008, 04:48   #2
Charles Harper
Régisseur

Double-posting makes me wonder whether I should bother answering here. Unless it was an escapee, what you saw was a Grey Heron.

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: