Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Annoying birding conversations in hides

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.
Old Friday 9th December 2011, 18:02   #101
Bowland Birders
Registered User
 
Bowland Birders's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bowland, Lancs
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve west View Post
Thanks Mike. According to my dictionary blonde (with an e) means a woman with pale yellow hair. Although if it weren't the case would anyone be scandalized?

Steve
Not scandalised but surprised though I daren't look up the word mate, the mere mention of it and my missus is on my case immediately.

Anything to stop the photographers vs birders nonsense! Nastiness always gets more hits than positive uplifting stuff. Br, Mike
__________________
http://mikewatsonfoto.com
Bowland Birders is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 10th December 2011, 04:43   #102
SAARLAND BIRDER
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: GERMANY
Posts: 66
What about the local bore? I particularly remember one from a south coast reserve some years ago, who would not give over about what he'd seen. On and on he went, whilst all you wanted was to pin down such and such from the scrape hide. Unfortunately, you couldn't avoid him since he was a volunteer official ticket checker and did his daily round of all the hides. Odd thing was though, I never saw him with either bins or 'scope.

Latest sighting of interest here - 4 x Velvet Scoter on Bostalstausee last week.

Enjoy your day
SAARLAND BIRDER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 10th December 2011, 07:59   #103
RoyH
Registered User
 
RoyH's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: North Thoresby, nr. Grimsby. North East Lincolnshire.
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
My main issues in hides are children running up and down with clumping feet, people with no volume control on their voices and people who, having got their front row seat, spend their time eating sandwiches and talking instead of birding.

Oh, and intolerance.

John
I agree, great comment...Especially Ness Hide Far Ings, banging door as they come and out. You should be there in school holidays when a gang of kids arrive accompanied with a teacher who should have given the children some tips, how to keep quite, not to run up and down.
Its obvieous some of the shutter comments are from none photographers.
Roy.
RoyH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 10th December 2011, 08:05   #104
wolfbirder
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wolves
Posts: 6,623
I dont photograph at all, but love looking at the photos on sites like these, so we cannot have it both ways. I do however, feel that the very nature of photography means that photographers tend to hog prime spots for longer periods than non-photographers. Most of the time both co-exist in harmony and try to help each other, but it just takes one to push the limits a bit too far.
__________________
Nick Moss
Favourite birds:- Pallid Harrier, Hen Harrier, Gyrfalcon, Great Grey Owl, Snowy Owl, Wryneck, Blue-Cheeked Bee-eater, Sib Rubythroat, Firecrest, Redstart, Hawfinch, Bearded Tit, Smew, GN & BT Diver, Pom Skua, Warblers especially colourful American ones.
wolfbirder is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 11th December 2011, 18:08   #105
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 14,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAARLAND BIRDER View Post
What about the local bore? I particularly remember one from a south coast reserve some years ago, who would not give over about what he'd seen. On and on he went, whilst all you wanted was to pin down such and such from the scrape hide. Unfortunately, you couldn't avoid him since he was a volunteer official ticket checker and did his daily round of all the hides. Odd thing was though, I never saw him with either bins or 'scope.

Latest sighting of interest here - 4 x Velvet Scoter on Bostalstausee last week.

Enjoy your day
I've met this notional bloke in hides at both Titchfield Haven and Slimbridge. The trouble is that he doesn't actually know what is out there so if a scarcity or rarity has been reported he will point it out whether or not it is still there.

John
Farnboro John is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 12th December 2011, 05:40   #106
SAARLAND BIRDER
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: GERMANY
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
I've met this notional bloke in hides at both Titchfield Haven and Slimbridge. The trouble is that he doesn't actually know what is out there so if a scarcity or rarity has been reported he will point it out whether or not it is still there.

John
You've got him. I recall one case at the Titchfield scrape hide on an otherwise quiet day when he announced "green sandpiper". When asked to pinpoint the location, "overhead" he replied, "you can't mistake that call anywhere". Some rather uncomfortable glances were exchanged between the other hide occupants, all of whom had presumably had suffered temporary deafness ......
SAARLAND BIRDER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 12th December 2011, 07:17   #107
Fozzybear
Ich bin ein Vogelbeobachter
 
Fozzybear's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Essex
Posts: 4,782
I've managed to avoid annoying birding conversations in hides for the most part as I don't really go to hides that often (this year have only been: once to Two Tree Island, a few visits to Minsmere during a week's holiday there and a trip to Hanningfield Reservoir). I tend to try to go on quiet days and find empty hides if I can as well as I just want to get settled and spend some time watching the comings and goings and zone out a bit. I'll chat with people and do enjoy that at times, I'm not a recluse, but I do prefer the time I spend birdwatching to be away from people which is why I don't go to hides that often.

Only annoying conversation I've had that I can remember wasn't that annoying at all, it was when I very first started (on the trip to Norfolk that kicked it off) and someone was trying to be friendly in a hide and pass on info about a 'monty' along the coast (didn't know what that was at the time) and how to find it. I didn't really feel inclined to say I didn't really want to go hunting for rarities, I didn't have a car to get there if I did and didn't have a clue where he meant or what the bird was he was telling me about anyway. Still don't know what one looks like actually!

Not in a hide but had a twitcher who lives near me insist that since I had an interest in birds I MUST learn to drive, get a car and become a twitcher too. As though what I was doing had no validity because it wasn't what 'he' enjoyed doing. I really didn't like that at all, I've always hated it when people tell me that I must conform to their way of doing things 'just because' and I really don't like pursuit of twitching anyway - I'd rather be on a gentle walk getting a nice look at regular birds and unwinding than dashing about in a panic and crushed up on a sea wall with lots of others trying to find the bird they've all seen before it disappears.

I'll leave all that to the thrill-seekers!
Fozzybear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 12th December 2011, 08:02   #108
pshute
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
What a miserable bunch you lot are!

i) - children in hides. Most children most of the time are pretty well behaved in my experience.
Not mine. I've stopped taking them since the time they went around the front and threw rocks at me through the slits.

I'd have to say the most annoying behaviour I've experienced around bird hides is kids (not mine) drinking in there at night and leaving the floor covered in broken glass. Burning them down is even more annoying.
pshute is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 12th December 2011, 10:31   #109
Andy Hurley
Opus Editor
BF Supporter 2020
 
Andy Hurley's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Paderborn Germany
Posts: 5,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshute View Post
Not mine. I've stopped taking them since the time they went around the front and threw rocks at me through the slits.

I'd have to say the most annoying behaviour I've experienced around bird hides is kids (not mine) drinking in there at night and leaving the floor covered in broken glass. Burning them down is even more annoying.
What did you expect from an ex penal colony?, but seriously though in my very limited experience, I've found Aussy and NZ kids generally well behaved, polite and respectful to nature. Probably an education thing and that you live a lot of your lives outdoors.

Andy
Andy Hurley is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 12th December 2011, 16:24   #110
alex berryman
Registered Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fleet
Posts: 245
I hate it when people in hides talk about completely random and irrelevant topics at the very top of their voices. Had one recently shouting about their poorly cat, with all due respect I just wanted to shout "NO-ONE CARES!!!!".

Oh kids (admittedly I'm only 14), but I mean young kids, when they're crashing about and knocking everything over!!
alex berryman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 13th December 2011, 00:24   #111
Mmiad
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Cooloola Hinterland
Posts: 2
To the credit of more experienced photographers, they understand the need for quiet in such situations, and while little more can be done to muffle the mechanics of shutter release, motor-driven lenses are constantly being redeveloped to cut down on their noise (the cheaper ones can be surprisingly loud during focus-motion!), and these are the lenses most keen wildlife photographers aspire to own. Pity the photographer who cringes inwardly as his/her equipment noisily makes its presence known to the chagrin of all present! It's embarrassing, but unavoidable.
Mmiad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 13th December 2011, 08:17   #112
Sy V
Registered User
 
Sy V's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 52.3716 Deg N, 002.0439 Deg W
Posts: 4,540
Blog Entries: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbs View Post
... Don't be so damn selfish and just think...
"Hello Kettle, this is Pot... you're black, over."
__________________
Simon


My Gallery - (Not so) Regularly Updated
Sy V is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 13th December 2011, 21:01   #113
MWigley
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Garstang, Lancashire
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
It happened to me, and I couldn't either. It was summer and she had this loose vest type top and no foundation garments.... I'm going for a lie down in a dark room with a cold wet cloth on my forehead.

John
John where was this? Young ladies like this never appear in the same hides I frequent, unfortunately
MWigley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 14th December 2011, 16:29   #114
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 14,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWigley View Post
John where was this? Young ladies like this never appear in the same hides I frequent, unfortunately
A hot sunny day at Lakenheath (pre-RSPB).... Golden Orioles fluting from the poplars, a light breeze rustling the long grass, and shifting views with every raise of her bins or turn of her head and when she stretched - oh no, time for another lie down with the damp cloth.

John
Farnboro John is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 14th December 2011, 18:02   #115
steve west
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lleida, Spain
Posts: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
A hot sunny day at Lakenheath (pre-RSPB).... Golden Orioles fluting from the poplars, a light breeze rustling the long grass, and shifting views with every raise of her bins or turn of her head and when she stretched - oh no, time for another lie down with the damp cloth.

John
The most memorable event that happened to me at Lakenheath was getting caught in the poplar wood by a raging storm, lightning all around me and getting drenched. It's obviously a world of contrasts!

Steve
__________________
Steve West
http://www.BirdingInSpain.com
steve west is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 15th December 2011, 20:41   #116
MWigley
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Garstang, Lancashire
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve west View Post
The most memorable event that happened to me at Lakenheath was getting caught in the poplar wood by a raging storm, lightning all around me and getting drenched. It's obviously a world of contrasts!

Steve
Sorry Steve John's version of Lakenheath sounds much more pleasant
MWigley is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 15th December 2011, 21:40   #117
crabplover
Registered User
 
crabplover's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: formerly Essex
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmiad View Post
To the credit of more experienced photographers, they understand the need for quiet in such situations, and while little more can be done to muffle the mechanics of shutter release, motor-driven lenses are constantly being redeveloped to cut down on their noise (the cheaper ones can be surprisingly loud during focus-motion!), and these are the lenses most keen wildlife photographers aspire to own. Pity the photographer who cringes inwardly as his/her equipment noisily makes its presence known to the chagrin of all present! It's embarrassing, but unavoidable.
Lens focus noise can be avoidable, you just switch to Manual Focus, a function few modern photographers know how to use !


Andy.
crabplover is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th December 2011, 04:13   #118
Fozzybear
Ich bin ein Vogelbeobachter
 
Fozzybear's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Essex
Posts: 4,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabplover View Post
Lens focus noise can be avoidable, you just switch to Manual Focus, a function few modern photographers know how to use !


Andy.
...and one which in the days of manual focus cameras was made much easier by the focusing screens that were designed to make manually focusing cameras easier, especially with Fresnel and split-image aids.

I used manual-focus cameras a lot in the '90s (and still have a manual focus SLR I use very occasionally) and still find manually focusing modern SLRs a laborious task with their clear viewfinder screens, especially when you are using a very long focus lens with narrow depth-of-field. In any case it's a very small minority that have lenses that are 'that' noisy... and certainly less noisy than the people at main reserves you find bursting into the hide, then shuffle about banging their tripods as they set them up, have a quick scan, chat to their friend loudly as they check their blasted pagers and then clatter about as they head off to the next hide in search for some rarity or other... leaving the door open as they go.
Fozzybear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th December 2011, 12:11   #119
tracker
Tom
 
tracker's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 6,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzybear View Post
In any case it's a very small minority that have lenses that are 'that' noisy.... and certainly less noisy than the people at main reserves you find bursting into the hide, then shuffle about banging their tripods as they set them up, have a quick scan, chat to their friend loudly as they check their blasted pagers and then clatter about as they head off to the next hide in search for some rarity or other... leaving the door open as they go.


For over 30 years I did my birding with a very cheap pair of binoculars and a good packed lunch and flask. Throughout many of those years I would sit and watch, longingly, other birders using beautiful big telescopes attached to big tripods. Some would be in the hide for many hours, yes and 'hogging' prime positions. At times I was unable to get in to some of these hides due to the number of birders cramped in with their scopes and tripods; so I'd just walk on until I found somewhere that was conducive to some peaceful watching. On some reserves I visit, for many years I'd have any given hide to myself, for most of the day. Things are very different now; the way info is shared on the internet makes it much harder to find a quiet little corner to treasure as your own. The change has taken place; and both birders and photographers contribute to making the small space of a hide a rather challenging place to be, at times. I suppose, looking at recent events outside of hides and onto my local patch, this change of events is affecting many quarters!

I have a large tripod and a large camera lens now, mainly used out in the open, down a ditch or side of a river bank. A lot less frequently now, do I visit a public hide. The fact is, its not only photographers that take up space; plenty of birders and their kit do too. I don't see it being only photographers who carry noisey mobiles or pagers; slam doors, poke arms and heads out of hides or walk around in large 'groups' entering lovely quiet hides completely disturbing the peace! Ive seen and heard some very disturbing experiences regarding such lack of respect from both birders and photographers. So it really shouldnt be about 'us' and 'them'; but rather, respect and consideration, for other users of a hide and the wildlife.
tracker is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 17th December 2011, 00:35   #120
Dog
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Coventry
Posts: 857
Lets look at a site I have worked on & birded for 30 years,( Brandon Marsh) at present the hides are full of people who do nothing for conservation, they sit in the hides with there cameras moaning about the volunteers who go out & do maintainance work on site, ringing & other conservation work. I have helped build these hides, create the habitat as a volunteer & a paid worker but you get no thanks for it.
A trip with my parents to Belvide Reservoir & 2 year old son a few years ago for a Spotted Crake which had obviously gone, we had some comments from a group of old gits in the hide moaning about my son been a bit noisy in the hide, I missed the comments about 'haven't you got anywhere else better to be' , which really annoyed my dad (My son has since been diagnosed with Aspergers ) but that dose not detract from the intolerance of people in hides, now if I take my kids down Brandon I want them to be noisy because these new age wasters are just parasites that think these hides are built just for them.

Dog. On a Mission.
Dog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 17th December 2011, 06:50   #121
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 14,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
Lets look at a site I have worked on & birded for 30 years,( Brandon Marsh) at present the hides are full of people who do nothing for conservation, they sit in the hides with there cameras moaning about the volunteers who go out & do maintainance work on site, ringing & other conservation work. I have helped build these hides, create the habitat as a volunteer & a paid worker but you get no thanks for it.
A trip with my parents to Belvide Reservoir & 2 year old son a few years ago for a Spotted Crake which had obviously gone, we had some comments from a group of old gits in the hide moaning about my son been a bit noisy in the hide, I missed the comments about 'haven't you got anywhere else better to be' , which really annoyed my dad (My son has since been diagnosed with Aspergers ) but that dose not detract from the intolerance of people in hides, now if I take my kids down Brandon I want them to be noisy because these new age wasters are just parasites that think these hides are built just for them.

Dog. On a Mission.
But they are, aren't they? If you wanted a hide just for you then you would have a pop-up one. Face it, you actually did all that work for non-birders who might acquire an interest and for birders (including photographers) who already have one.

And someone who does no physical conservation work may make their contribution by subscription to RSPB etc, being an ambassador (i.e. informing the inquisitive public, answering friends and fellow-pub locals' wildlife related questions) and or shopping responsibly (fairtrade, conservation organisation shops etc).

I'm sorry to hear about your son's condition. Hope life is OK anyway.

BTW anybody "new age" can't afford a decent camera.....

John

Last edited by Farnboro John : Saturday 17th December 2011 at 06:53.
Farnboro John is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 31st December 2011, 19:56   #122
Weekend Birder
Registered User
 
Weekend Birder's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St.Helens, Merseyside, UK
Posts: 355
Great response everyone!

I forgot I started this thread and have just read through it today - some hilarious stuff here.

By the way I am one of those annoying novice machine-gun photographers.
Weekend Birder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most annoying!!! Cheshire Birder Ruffled Feathers 23 Tuesday 6th September 2011 12:26
Tipps for Hides (show your Hides) Titus Ebbecke Information Wanted 5 Thursday 5th August 2010 17:14
Birding In A Dee Estuary Gale-Lets Be Thankful For HIdes: Upland Birder Your Birding Day 0 Sunday 3rd December 2006 19:52
Annoying shortcuts Steve Babbs Computers, Birding Software And The Internet 0 Saturday 22nd October 2005 15:35
Pilot and controller conversations pduxon Ruffled Feathers 5 Saturday 6th September 2003 11:25

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.22698402 seconds with 36 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:38.