Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

finch eye disease; how long should I leave feeders down?

Old Friday 14th February 2020, 21:24   #1
otherchuck

finch eye disease; how long should I leave feeders down?

Greetings,

I noticed a finch on one of my finch nyjer feeders that had one eye crusted closed in what looks exactly like finch eye disease conjunctivitis. I took down both of my feeders, tossed the remaining nyjer seed, and thoroughly sanitized them by soaking them in a weak bleach solution for an hour. I have left them down for about 4 days so far to allow the finch population to disperse a little. Can I put the feeders back up, or should I leave them down longer?

Is there anything else I can do at all to tamp down the spread of this disorder? I have only seen it in a couple birds, but now I know what to look for, I will be more alert and I will sanitize more regularly.

When I have the feeders up (not near one another), they attract tons of finches; often 5 or 6 on a feeders at a time with many many perched nearby waiting for their turn. They can empty a large tube style feeder in less than two days. I love having them around but if my busy feeders are helping spread the disease, then I would have to consider taking them down permanently.

For the record...in case it is useful to have this info...I live in southern California, USA.

Otherchuck
Old Friday 14th February 2020, 21:59   #2
PYRTLE

I leave mine to dry naturally after sanitizing and then refill and put out the next day....without any noticeable adverse effects. Also, following the instructions on the cleaning product. I would think 4 days is ample.
Old Friday 14th February 2020, 22:04   #3
PYRTLE

Additionally I also rotate the feeders around ( different hanging stations, hooks or trees ) so that the ground underneath has a chance to recover and regrow. It's also deemed good practice to take up any leftover seed and remove bird dropping - I'm too idle to do this
Old Thursday 20th February 2020, 10:34   #4
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
I leave mine to dry naturally after sanitizing and then refill and put out the next day....without any noticeable adverse effects. Also, following the instructions on the cleaning product. I would think 4 days is ample.
Pat, I think he means relevent to diseased birds rather than anything else?

I'd certainly stop feeding for a month or maybe more, if a diseased bird turns up, you're back to square one.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: