Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Pheasant, Mere Sands Wood, Lancashire

Old Monday 6th March 2006, 16:42   #1
mickporter
Oswaldtwistle birder

Pheasant, Mere Sands Wood, Lancashire

For some while now at Mere Sands Wood there is a Male Pheasant which is almost totally green apart from a red wattle on its face.

Whereas normally they have a metallic green neck, and a golden brown plumage, this one is green all over.

Is this normal?? Some discussion took place today in the hide and a guy said he had seen several like it around Yorkshire. I have certainly never seen one like this anywhere else and my books do not mention it. Is this a freak of nature or something that does occur naturally?

Sorry for no pictures........

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 6th March 2006, 16:53   #2
Steven Astley

Just dragged out my heinzel fitter parslow which i remember is actually better for pheasants than collins.

It looks like it could be either a japanese pheasant or a 'melanstic' mutant ordinary pheasant or a hybrid of the 2.

Last edited by Steven Astley : Monday 6th March 2006 at 19:39.
Old Monday 6th March 2006, 18:35   #3
aythya_hybrid
real name Jonathan Dean

I've seen quite a few of those dark green pheasants, which I believe are 'Japanese Pheasants,' although I don't know if that's a full species or just a 'form.'
Old Monday 6th March 2006, 18:36   #4
Johnny1

A couple of years ago there was a male Golden Pheasant at Mere Sands it used to frequent the area around the bird table near the Ainscough hide.
Old Monday 6th March 2006, 19:06   #5
mickporter
Oswaldtwistle birder

Yes thats right sadly I believe it was shot. I suppose if this one is a Japanese Pheasant then it must be an escapee and may well suffer the same fate.... Unless someone claims it. It seems to spend its time chasing around the Water Rail as it comes to the feeding table. Maybe it has an identity crisis!!

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 7th March 2006, 12:55   #6
Capercaillie71

Huge numbers of pheasants are released each autumn for shooting and some survive through the winter. In recent years there seems to have been a trend towards releasing pheasants that have been selectively bred for unusual colour patterns (up here it has been very dark, almost black ones). I suspect your green pheasant is one of these variants.
Old Tuesday 7th March 2006, 14:42   #7
White*Kite
Forever delayed

Yes, it sounds like a melanistic Pheasant, they are quite common in some areas. I've seen many myself in the Hereford area, the males are all dark. You can normally tell the males apart from male Japanese Pheasants (P. versicolor) by their dark rumps - Japanese Pheasants have a pale rump. The females are also much darker than 'normal' hen pheasants, being very dark chocolate brown.

The Welsh Kite Trust

Last edited by White*Kite : Tuesday 7th March 2006 at 14:52.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: