• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Farne Islands, UK (1 Viewer)

Rob Smallwood

I am hoping to get to Seahouses on Friday and plan to take on of the boat trips out to The Farnes.

My preference is the longer two island trip - but any hints or tips would be welcome.

Also, I have a pretty good idea of which birds to expect (inc the recently reported pair of Roseate's) but what are the chances of cetaceans, basking Shark etc - and also are there likely to be any Skuas around?

Rob Smallwood said:
I am hoping to get to Seahouses on Friday and plan to take on of the boat trips out to The Farnes.

My preference is the longer two island trip - but any hints or tips would be welcome.

Also, I have a pretty good idea of which birds to expect (inc the recently reported pair of Roseate's) but what are the chances of cetaceans, basking Shark etc - and also are there likely to be any Skuas around?

The chance of Basking Shark is very, very close to zero. It's a month or so early for Minke's but there has been a small group of White-beaked Dolphins (6-7 animals) seen at various points off Northumberland (including the Farnes) in the last month or so. There's a real dearth of skuas up here at the moment. Last Friday was the first July pelagic off Northumberland in six years to not produce Bonxie and the big feeding concentrations of terns in Druridge Bay don't seem to have attracted more than the odd one or two Arctics as yet.

martin

I have just returned from a week at Seahouses.... I spent two days on the Farnes..... was just in time to see the Razorbills and Gillimots before they left this week.

Thousands of puffins, Common, Artic, and Sandwich terns still there. One pair of Roseate terns showing well feeding young. Hundreds of Shags.

Absolutly fabulous!!!!

Couldn't agree more - went out on Friday - lovely views of the Roseate's on Inner Farne, all the usual auks, shag etc and even managed 2 Arctic Skua - a super pale phase that flew past the boat near Brownsman and a Dark phase that circled Staple before harassing Puffins for a few minutes.

A great experience - and I shall be going back next year earlier in the season!

I'm not following you around Rob but I shall be on Lindisfarne for a few days next week (early migrants maybe) and will also be taking one of the Farnes trips. I think that we will be limited to the single island trip at this time of year though.

Any advice etc regarding the area in general? It's a few years since I was last up there.

Dolphins

I know that when i went to the Isle of Mull in April 2006, i think it was well it was the easter holidays. I saw dolphins and they said it was a month or so to early for the whales and i know they are all around the scotland coast. You may just see one i was lucky to see dolphins and they are supposed to be early, but i still saw them. So you have a chance not a big one but there is a bit of one.

Last edited:
hey mooskibaby and me went 2 mull 2gether! was gr8 fun ;) I hope u see lots, but if not, hope u have a great time anyway!

Alf,

I'd go to Inner Farne if only doing 1 trip - you'll get the Roseate's, plus Arctic, Common and Sandwich and still plenty of Puffins around.

Most of the Guillemots have gone, but you'll see the odd adult and chick on the sea, and their are still Razorbills around.

Have a great trip,

Keep an eye out for passing Skua and Shearwater too.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back