Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Gill and Wright, Recommended English Names

Old Monday 28th August 2006, 21:38   #1
Rick Wright, Tucson

Gill and Wright, Recommended English Names

A biref, informal review of Gill and Wright, Birds of the World: Recommended English Names, is available at

http://birdaz.com/blog/category/book-reviews/

Rick Wright
Tucson
Old Tuesday 29th August 2006, 18:35   #2
cuckooroller

Thanks Rick,
My initial reaction is probably rather infantile. I ask myself that with our (translate humankind) inability to resolve differences in philosophy regarding the most correct view on avian speciation (BSC-PSC) that would have to be resolved to even contemplate finally arriving to redact a "One List" for taxonomy, then how would other contemplated upheavals, this time in Nomenclature, be received. So for me, destined to remain a dead letter unless there is a universal acceptance that the suggestions proposed in this volume should be implemented in the existing world bird lists (e.g., Clements, Howard & Moore, etc.).
Neotropical Bird Club
Old Tuesday 29th August 2006, 18:52   #3
Rick Wright, Tucson

The Impossible Dream

Steve,
You're quite right, alas: any pretense to nomenclatural stability will fall before the realities of taxonomic instability. I wondered as I read the book whether it might not have made better sense to spend the time formulating a clearer set of principles for the naming of new taxa as they are recognized, making the generation of actual names an ad hoc process governed by those principles.
It will be interesting, though, to see which if any of the nomina nova are incorporated into subsequent regional lists, and whether "worldbirders" abandon Clements and defect to Gill and Wright.
Rick Wright
Tucson.
Old Tuesday 29th August 2006, 19:10   #4
cuckooroller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Wright
Steve,
You're quite right, alas: any pretense to nomenclatural stability will fall before the realities of taxonomic instability. I wondered as I read the book whether it might not have made better sense to spend the time formulating a clearer set of principles for the naming of new taxa as they are recognized, making the generation of actual names an ad hoc process governed by those principles.
It will be interesting, though, to see which if any of the nomina nova are incorporated into subsequent regional lists, and whether "worldbirders" abandon Clements and defect to Gill and Wright.
Rick Wright
Tucson.
Rick,
I don't think I would be placing any money on anyone abandoning the two remaining world lists especially in light of their new upcoming new editions. I spoke of these editions also here: http://www.sahotspots.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=748

Scroll down to last posting - same moniker.
Neotropical Bird Club
Old Thursday 31st August 2006, 13:35   #5
Charles Harper
Régisseur

It should make a good cross-reference, at least, for tracking one species from field guide to field guide. And obviously it is a Quixotic quest. The question is, should I order one, or are the namings just too far off-the-wall overall?

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: